The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. I'm new to the forum and I'm doing research in preparation for an Exige S or 240 purchase. I'm hoping to buy in the next month or so. I was hoping you could help me with some pricing info.

I see initial asking prices for 2007's that vary from $37-$46k. I see initial asking prices for 2008's in the $48-54k range. The low end of the spectrum is for heavily raced cars and high mileage cars. they all still have clean titles. The high end of this observed price range is for examples that approach perfection.

After negotiation between the seller and buyer, how much do you think (or know) these cars are actually selling for?

Thanks!

·
Registered
854 Posts
An 07 in great shape should go for 40-44k.
An 08 in great shape should go for 44-49k.
says who/>?

i sold my great shape 07 for 36k 2 months ago after 2 months of it for sale and 300+ people emailing me they "gotta have it"... but end of the day, nobody has the cash or their wife says no.. car had no damage.. only mods were RLS pipes, exhaust (stock included), and other little things (def not modded to point where would decrease value)

i think the problem with the market is the whole "asking" versus "selling" dilemma, i'm sorry but no 07' is worth more than 40k.. and no 08' is worth more than 45k.... regardless of color/demand/etc. it's def a diff animal when it comes to selling as you need to find a cash buyer as most banks wont loan on it due to no Blue book value to base their loan off.

if you're about to pay anything over 50k for an 08' then you might as well find an S260 available as i've seen quite a few sell for mid/low 50's.... and thats a bargain difference for the added perks on the 260!

ASKING PRICES ***NOT SELLING PRICES***

2006 35k http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/fs-2006-lotus-exige-phantom-black-li-ny-116992/
2007 37k http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/fs-07-exige-s-w-8900-miles-track-car-clean-title-37k-117485/
2007 36k http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/2007-exige-s-103589/
2007 37,5k http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/2007-exige-s-sale-117795/
2007 35k http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/fs-07-lotus-exige-s-laser-blue-ca-115927/
2006 31k http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/2006-exige-sale-31k-va-116904/
2006 32k http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/2006-lotus-exige-solar-yellow-28k-miles-116218/
2006 32k http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/lotus-exige-2006-chrome-orange-34-000-offer-103857/
2007 34k http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/hpde-ready-2007-lotus-exige-s-priced-sell-116138/

someone please tell me how any 07 could be worth more than 40k when you look at the "asking" prices of cars recently sold...... not only are they well below 40k but also are "asking" prices.

also any "trade in" prices cannot count as dealers always offer high trade and put the difference on the new vehicle purchase.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
if you're about to pay anything over 50k for an 08' then you might as well find an S260 available as i've seen quite a few sell for mid/low 50's.... and thats a bargain difference for the added perks on the 260!
Not lately - the last several North American 2009 Sport 260's have sold in the mid 60's and the 2010's are in the mid to low 60's. The last few 2011 Sport 260's went for new prices except for one that resold in the upper 60's. Mileage and customizations have the most significant impact to price. Exceptional Sport 260's are getting exceptional prices. There has only been one 2009 Sport 260 in the last few months (the burnt orange 2009 press car) which was put back on the market at $54. That was primarily driven by the sellers desire for a quick sale but it could be argued was also due to high mileage, condition and former usage (history).

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the input, guys.

I've also been tracking the completed auctions on Ebay for the last few months. Only about 20% of the Lotus Exiges listed (all model years) are selling. Granted, the car may well sell outside the auction but the curious thing is the pricing. I see a number of 2006-10 Exiges that are not selling or even receiving a bid at asking prices between 38-54k.

So I guess what I've getting at is, the other active thread is talking about Exige prices skyrocketing. I suspect it is the asking prices that are increasing somewhat and NOT the selling prices. I am not seeing evidence that people are completing transactions at higher prices than a year or two ago.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Thanks for the input, guys.

I've also been tracking the completed auctions on Ebay for the last few months. Only about 20% of the Lotus Exiges listed (all model years) are selling. Granted, the car may well sell outside the auction but the curious thing is the pricing. I see a number of 2006-10 Exiges that are not selling or even receiving a bid at asking prices between 38-54k.

So I guess what I've getting at is, the other active thread is talking about Exige prices skyrocketing. I suspect it is the asking prices that are increasing somewhat and NOT the selling prices. I am not seeing evidence that people are completing transactions at high prices than a year or two ago.
exactly, it's all about asking versus selling prices... obviously there are always outliers in both directions..

·
Registered
6,538 Posts
06's (which you didn't ask): low to mid 30's.
07's Mid to high 30's, a pristine one or one that a particular individual simply MUST have because of color, low 40's.
08 S240. High 30's to mid 40's.

Of course, I'm no more informed than anyone else, but I did sell my 07 and I know how the market in general reacted (or didn't) to my asking price and what I ultimately sold it for...a number which I promised the buyer I would not divulge.

·
Registered
854 Posts
06's (which you didn't ask): low to mid 30's.
07's Mid to high 30's, a pristine one or one that a particular individual simply MUST have because of color, low 40's.
08 S240. High 30's to mid 40's.

Of course, I'm no more informed than anyone else, but I did sell my 07 and I know how the market in general reacted (or didn't) to my asking price and what I ultimately sold it for...a number which I promised the buyer I would not divulge.
i agree completely, again coming from a member who has bought and sold a pristine example Exige (versus just a speculator)

i had "offers" around my asking price, but obviously they never came through.

the exige will always be a difficult sale, the same way it was a difficult sale for dealers and why they are not bringing the new exige to market... dealers sat on them for years waiting for the right buyer to come around.....

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
a number which I promised the buyer I would not divulge.
Because he thinks he overpaid, or because he wants to protect his eventual resale?

I realize they're not making any more, but in reality, they're just not selling any more. They still make and sell the Elise and Exige for other countries.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
FWIW, a Lotus dealer can get between $38K to $44K for an '07 Exige and I'm talking about selling price. A 2008, dealers are getting between $45K to $49K. If we're lucky enough to get our hands on a 2009 260 Sport, you're looking at $55K to $58K all day long. The reason for all this is simple tho, we can provide financing for our clients and do all DMV paperwork for them. We know where to get book sheet values to coincide with bank loans. Dealers will also have a larger audience than private party.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Abe. You are absolutely correct when it comes to a Lotus Dealer sale. Also one thing you didn't mention, when buying from a reputable dealership, the buyer is also purchasing a certain amout of 'confidence' that the car they are buying is of high quality. That has a value as well and is often reflected in a dealerships eventual selling price.

From my earlier post, I forgot to post a link to the recent expired auctions on Ebay. You might need to be logged in to Ebay to view.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I realize the OP isn't asking just about Sport 260's but I just want to clarify about that specific version.

rijowysock has a point - as with any kind of analysis - there are outliers that affect the average. This is especially true with the Sport 260's given the limited numbers and differences among those numbers - they are not like the Matte Final Editions, for example, where all 25 are identical - with Sport 260's you have x out of 24 or x out of 30 or even (for 2011) x out of 3. And truely, you can parse those numbers even further when it comes to color or production changes.

I can say I have been tracking the Sport and Cup 260 market since the beginning and have personally consulted several potential and eventual buyers on these cars. I know first hand what the asking price is (as anyone can find out) but I also have most of the sale prices which I maintain confidentially. I am in touch with many Sport/Cup 260 owners through the Comprehensive Exige 260 Registry (on the other forum) and have the longest ownership of one in this country.

I disagree somewhat with Abe's $55 - $58 estimate. That was a bit truer in the 4th quarter of last year but not this year. Like I said earlier, the trend has been steadily going up. Of the 2009 Sport 260's that have been sold this year, all have gone for between the high 50's (and I mean around $59) to mid/upper 60's. Unlike the 2010 Sport 260's, there is a lot more variation and uniqueness (again primarily color for most buyers) among the choices. There were more 2010 Sport 260's made with less color variances than 2009 (not to mention the restyle). There is the Seinfeld car (1 of 1) which has actually sold twice in the last few months (once public, once private), a heavily modified storm titanium and one a little less so , an isotope Canadian car (1 of 1) among a few others that are each one out of no more than 4 of that very configuration. So it can be a challenge to draw an average out of that but I try by taking out the highest and lowest and sticking with the median. I do the same with the 2010's which are averaging about the same if not a little less. I have not seen 2010's increase yet but give it time. Only one 2011 (out of the 3) has been resold.

You are free to disagree but those are accurate and correct.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
I disagree somewhat with Abe's $55 - $58 estimate. That was a bit truer in the 4th quarter of last year but not this year. Like I said earlier, the trend has been steadily going up. Of the 2009 Sport 260's that have been sold this year, all have gone for between the high 50's (and I mean around $59) to mid/upper 60's. Unlike the 2010 Sport 260's, there is a lot more variation and uniqueness (again primarily color for most buyers) among the choices. There were more 2010 Sport 260's made with less color variances than 2009 (not to mention the restyle). There is the Seinfeld car (1 of 1) which has actually sold twice in the last few months (once public, once private), a heavily modified storm titanium and one a little less so , an isotope Canadian car (1 of 1) among a few others that are each one out of no more than 4 of that very configuration. So it can be a challenge to draw an average out of that but I try by taking out the highest and lowest and sticking with the median. I do the same with the 2010's which are averaging about the same if not a little less. I have not seen 2010's increase yet but give it time. Only one 2011 (out of the 3) has been resold.

You are free to disagree but those are accurate and correct.

Vishus, you may very well be correct on the 260's, particularly the 09. It's been 16 months now since I've sold one and haven't been able to get my hand on another since.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I really think that it comes down to each car individually. Each one is pretty unique, and finding the "right one for the right price" is NOT that hard. When it comes to vehicles like this, I really believe each car's price really can reflect the individual example of the car itself simply because of how few there are on the market at any given time.

Find one. Do you like it? Can you afford it? Will they take what you want to give?

I guess, personally, I'm getting tired with the messages I get telling me my car is worth 34 instead of 36 or whatever. It's not that complicated. If somebody really wants to sell they drop price, if somebody really wants to buy they pay more.

If sellers are hurting to sell, and they won't lower their prices, then that is their problem. I guess I don't see where all this scrutiny is coming from all of a sudden.

·
Registered
6,538 Posts
The thing you don't want to do, and it's the mistake would be buyers often make, is come on here and over stipulate the car you want: year, options, color, location. You may have all those preferences, and some may be negotiable, some not.

Because there are not many of any of these cars, especially in combinations of options/colors/location...

The guy who has the exact car you described just added a couple grand to his price, just for you.

I've also always found it curious the buyers who say "I'll travel, but shipping costs need to be factored into the selling price."

Only if the seller is desparate. Otherwise the price is the price, seller needn't make concession because of where buyer lives.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
... messages I get telling me my car is worth 34 instead of 36 or whatever.
Duckbomb's line quoted above, I've said that exact thing to a seller recently to see if he was actually ready to sell his car. If the seller says something like, "Well, come over and look at the car and we can talk pricing.", I know I'm dealing with a person who actually wants to sell a car. If the person responds back in an angry fashion, I move on.

Some people grow emotionally attached to their stuff. As a result, they sometimes do funny things subconsciously that torpedo their attempt to sell. In my experience, a person who is not willing to negotiate on the initial asking price is someone who isn't mentally ready to sell. I've seen it enough times to know to avoid people who aren't 'hot' to sell. Other cars are available for me to buy.

The asking price, in the used car selling/buying world, is the starting point for a negotiation. You (who ever is reading this) should expect that people will try to 'feel you out' regarding your willingness to sell for less. That is how the game works. A buyer tries to buy for as liittle as possible and the seller tries to sell for as much as he/she can. Responding in a way that is anything less than polite, professional, and positive will dissuade the guy with $36k in his back pocket from dealing with you. Who wants to deal with an angry person? Not me! :D

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
The asking price, in the used car selling/buying world, is the starting point for a negotiation. You (who ever is reading this) should expect that people will try to 'feel you out' regarding your willingness to sell for less. That is how the game works. A buyer tries to buy for as liittle as possible and the seller tries to sell for as much as he/she can. Responding in a way that is anything less than polite, professional, and positive will dissuade the guy with $36k in his back pocket from dealing with you. Who wants to deal with an angry person? Not me! :D
Bingo!

·
Registered
81 Posts
The asking price, in the used car selling/buying world, is the starting point for a negotiation. You (who ever is reading this) should expect that people will try to 'feel you out' regarding your willingness to sell for less. That is how the game works.
This is completely true, and I would not argue with you on it. I could have explained myself better, however...

I am referring to buyers who look at some pictures, and tell me that if I drop my asking price by 2k then they would consider looking at it. These aren't people who have actually looked at the car itself, and in my opinion they aren't really that interested in the first place. Just people looking at pictures and assuming they know what it is worth.

I do believe that this is the other side of the coin.

I agree with everything you said above, and personally I think I have always made it clear that I am happy to listen to offers, I'm just not eager to haggle with somebody before I've even sent more pictures or they've looked at it. I'm sorry if I came off as brash, that was not my intention.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I think if someone were going fly somewhere to see a car in person they might ask for a price reduction up front if they knew that your asking price was out of their budget. Not just because they had to fly out there but because if you were not willing to budge on the price then there is no point in the person spending hundreds of dollars to come look at a car they can't afford.

That being said, there is no accounting for poor communication skills and maybe they just come off like jerks.

And if you are talking about local buyers then yeah, it seems kind of silly to ask for a price reduction up front without seeing the car. However, maybe they have 34K not 36K and don't want to waste everyone's time by coming out to look at it.

·
He's on fire!
3,255 Posts
If you fly out somewhere and haven't AGREED on a price pending confirmation of the sellers claims, then you're asking for trouble, in my opinion. Once the seller knows the buyer is spending time and money to come see the car, the buyer has given up a bit of power in the negotiation.

Even if you did ask for a little off up front the seller could change his or her mind about it if you're REALLY lucky.

I think if someone were going fly somewhere to see a car in person they might ask for a price reduction up front if they knew that your asking price was out of their budget. Not just because they had to fly out there but because if you were not willing to budge on the price then there is no point in the person spending hundreds of dollars to come look at a car they can't afford.

That being said, there is no accounting for poor communication skills and maybe they just come off like jerks.

And if you are talking about local buyers then yeah, it seems kind of silly to ask for a price reduction up front without seeing the car. However, maybe they have 34K not 36K and don't want to waste everyone's time by coming out to look at it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts