The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far the average gawker price estimate is $150K. This is from both a CAL Berkeley PHD and a Joe schmo in a minivan with the wife on the street.
I really do feel that this car is way underpriced when you look at the TOTAL package.. In other words A great value!!
This car is 10 times more of an attention grabber than any other car that I have ever owned. I appeals to average people on the street. I park it directly in front of the Porsche showroom on a main drag in a downtown setting and people(about 50-60 per day) stop and look, peek inside, look underneath, etc. All ages and demographic groups included.
Yesterday there was an Excursion parked in front and a Suburban parked behind the car, it looked microscopic!!:p
I have never been so enamored with any car ever. I truly will never let it go!

·
Registered
389 Posts
I've had countless similar responses. I guess they are going purely on it's looks. I never had that kind of response in the UK (peoeple made compliments, but never asked about the price), but I guess that's becauase, a) they'd seen the car on TV and knew what it was, and b) there are a few more exotically styled but not expensive cars on the roads over there, so people know cool looking doesn't have to mean completely unaffordable. It makes me a little mad when people who claim to be knowledgable about cars jump to the $100k conclusion, as it's hardly difficult to google 'lotus elise price'.

Something I didn't expect was the people who ask 'what year is it?', like they think it's a classic car.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
I'm curious, how did you respond to people's comments about price? Had it been me at toll I would have just smiled and pulled off, however, when you're standing around chatting with people it's harder to make a getaway.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I tell 'em its 45K loaded---and then tell them its a 2 year wait, and they're only making it two years.

Perry-I 2nd all you said, and have said so previously. I feel blessed to get this car.:bow:

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Surferjer said:
I tell 'em its 45K loaded---and then tell them its a 2 year wait, and they're only making it two years.

Perry-I 2nd all you said, and have said so previously. I feel blessed to get this car.:bow:
I concur! Motion passed! Elise is underpriced! :bow:

Running away with flame suit on again :no:

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
people used to guess my TVR at 60, 80, 100 grand??!?!? its a 20k car! but you know.. i guess i could look at a big fake diamond and say "wow that must be worth a 1/4 mil" so...

I don't think the Elise is underpriced, its just under competitioned in the market, so we have nothing else to value it against here in the US.

I wish Panoz would build something to compete against the Elise...

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I had a jeep full of drunk kids stop beside me while my lane was deadlocked in traffic and the wasted driver kept screaming 'that car costs more than my f'in house!' 'That f'in car costs $200k!' 'Oh my f'in god!' It was actually quite threatening. They blocked honking traffic in their lane for a couple of minutes as they all freaked out. Finally my lane moved on. Was the scaryest price estimate I've been given yet. Had the top off and they wouldn't even listen as I responded to them - just kept screaming with beer in hand. Nuts.

-dom

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I wish people would think it's a $45,000 car. Not looking forward to the undue attention.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
doma said:
Had the top off and they wouldn't even listen as I responded to them - just kept screaming with beer in hand. Nuts.

-dom
I've never done it, but this is the kind of thing that would have made me want to call the cops. Driving with open beers? In California?

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
>Driving with open beers? In California?

Not California ... this was on my roadtrip - I was in western PA taking a shortcut between 70 and Rt 22 on my way to pick up my dad in northern WV. Turns out there was a concert at the StarLake ampitheater and the backroad I was taking though Burgetstown (sp?) was gridlocked in one direction. Most of the traffic was going to or from the concert.

Back to topic> I find that a lot of folks people are suprised and excited when I tell them the correct price. I agree with others that it's the #2 or #3 question I get.

·
Registered
687 Posts
perryeyges said:
This car is 10 times more of an attention grabber than any other car that I have ever owned. [...] All ages and demographic groups included.
You know the car is an attention grabber when a kid sitting in a stroller will point my car out to her mom and smile.

The kid must have been thinking, "how come that car doesn't look like a bar of soap like all of the other cars? and why is it so much smaller than our SUV?"... Or maybe just, "cool." :p

·
Registered
549 Posts
NO one has even come close guessing what the car cost...many think in the low $100K...and what is funny I actually feel somewhat embarassed stating what it cost :rolleyes: Yea...stupid but you have to admit you have thought about agreeing with a nod what some tell you what the car cost ;)
Michael

·
Registered
421 Posts
If you really want to impress your questioners enquiring about the price, reply 'you know I don't really know. It never occured to me to ask. My accountant should know'.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
kenp said:
'you know I don't really know. It never occured to me to ask. My accountant should know'.
'If you really want to know, give me your business card, and I'll have my people contact your people.' :p

·
Registered
48 Posts
YELOTUS said:
NO one has even come close guessing what the car cost...many think in the low $100K...and what is funny I actually feel somewhat embarassed stating what it cost :rolleyes: Yea...stupid but you have to admit you have thought about agreeing with a nod what some tell you what the car cost ;)
Michael

I asked the pump jockey at Mobil, Rte. 31N., Pennington NJ, today what he thought and he said "35 grand." Hey, sorry to burst the bubble but that was the closest guess yet for me. Had a lot of people say figures in the 100K range.
RD

1 - 17 of 17 Posts