The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Member # 16
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at the points standings I'm confused by what exactly an average. Well really, why someone gets an average score for an event.

For example there is one girl who only ran in one event and she got an average for it... No score. Then a few other people had averages for buttonwillow and a couple of other events. David told me what it was but I don't remember what he said clearly.

I asked Carla if Allyson and I could get an average for an event and was told that averages weren't given out except for people going to regional events (and I've heard that is dead wrong). So how do you get them exactly?

·
Registered
125 Posts
You get your average when you're the only person in your class, assuming that there are usually people in your class. If you're always the only person in your class, well that's a different problem. :D

There are a few other reasons for a person to get an average, mostly to do with not being able to compete for reasons that aren't your fault. If a brick fell out of the sky and smashed your car in pre-grid, they'd probably give you an average. :rolleyes:

·
Member # 16
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay well that makes sense.

I guess drinking a bad bottle of wine and not being able to get out of bed until after noon counts ;)

·
Registered
118 Posts
No whining.:)

I had a neighborhood kid throw a rock thorugh my rear window on the Saturday evening before an event. I missed the event and it cost me the season championship (I wound up 3rd, about 20 points out of 1st). No average given. That's what I got for missing events earlier in the season. :(

Or how about the year that they changed event dates a few days before the scheduled event, so people who had to schedule work in advance missed the event...No average given there (sort of like the event cancellation two years ago...rescheduled to the Wendover Pro weekend).

The only reasons I've heard in the past are like when Brian Howlett, after working course, suffered either a detached retina or a scratched cornea, and was forced to leave to seek medical attention and couldn't run (wimp:))

Mechanicals usually aren't reasons for granting averages either, as there are usually competitors willing to let you run in their cars...if you ask nicely.

I didn't ask in the above case because I had no way of getting down there (I wasn't about to drive my car with half the rear window blown out).

·
Member # 16
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why are there so many people with averages then, other than them being the only person in their class? I can't imagine that it would happen as often as it appears to happened in the points totals

·
Registered
118 Posts
Chris Robertson said:
Why are there so many people with averages then, other than them being the only person in their class? I can't imagine that it would happen as often as it appears to happened in the points totals
No, there really are that many people that have empty classes. Last year in STR, we had one guy who ran 8 races, and 4 of them were alone in class. BP last year rarely (if ever) had anyone for Steve to race against. Hence, he got no class champion jacket (despite being Cal Clubs only National Champ) and very few trophies (or Trophy$).

The Ladies classes at least have an out... as long as there is an open class, they get points. If they are within 5%, they get 100 pts.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Davard said:
had a neighborhood kid throw a rock thorugh my rear window on the Saturday evening before an event. I missed the event and it cost me the season championship (I wound up 3rd, about 20 points out of 1st). No average given. That's what I got for missing events earlier in the season. :(
that sucks, but now, if you had had some tint on there, the window would have stayed put (for the most part, prolly a small hole where the rock went through :)) but you could have still run the event....or atleast gotten there to run another car.

I remember back in 91 i was driving down PCH in Long Beach at around 11pm, when all of a sudden i hear this loud POP, i immediately looked in the RVM, huh, WTF, i can't see anything....holly crap the window shattered!!!! are the homies shooting at me, what the hell is going on. Well, needless to say i DID NOT STOP until i came to Sunset Beach, pulled into a brightly lite 7/11 and checked it out....millions of tiny peices, but still complete and in it's place (had tint) no holes, so i knew i wasn't being shot at :) (hey i had only been here for a year) turned out to be a defective defroster pin or something along those lines, had it fixed under warranty. (wow, it's been a loooooooong time since i said that :):)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts