The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was such a nice night out and I decided to take her out for a spin around town. Really a 15 minute drive turned to an hour as I tried to avoid going home. I guess that's why I love this car so much. Well, now I can't do it for a really long time I'd imagine.

I was coming home, literally 2 miles away from my house and had to exit the current highway. I enter the exit/entrance ramp (to the next highway). It was dark. I was alone. Warm wind in hair. BAM! racoon/whatever the hell little creature from hell it was jetted out as I was in mid ramp. Out of the goodness of my heart I actually reacted to freaking attempt to save the little bastard. In doing so, I got the rear end loose. I saved it in the first attempt but car had slid far to the left and my rear left hopped the tall curb.

As soon as that wheel landed on the grass it was all over. It sent me spinning again and it became a blur. I think the right front may have hit the curb as well and bounced me off of it, sending me heading towards the guard rail on the right. Well my car definitely had a good make out session with it. Here are the aftermath. No airbags. I think it was probably hit around 15mph at most? :shrug:

Can anyone give me an idea as to how much the damage is going to be? So far this morning I only looked at the front end and took some pictures with my phone.

And to the animal lovers: It survived. I looked for him. I think he may have been in the bushes laughing at me. I pictured him high fiving his buddies like that damn commercial with the squirrels.

·
Registered
311 Posts
If there is no damage to the crash structure then my guess would be around 10k depending on where you take it. Definitely needs a new clam and probably one of those lights will need to be replaced.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,689 Posts
New clam, lights, grille......might as well do HID's while you're at it ............. Yep, 10-11K

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
If you bounced off a curb I would be more worried about the suspension mounts. Go have a look … I’m hoping for good news that all is good underneath.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I have an appointment with the adjuster this Friday. He's going to look at the cosmetics before I take it to a trusted shop for a tear down. I hope the suspension bits are alright and I hope the crash structure is ok. I'd really like to keep my car.

Yeah, next time I'm hitting the little f'ker. Really though, I think it was just instincts to avoid.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Doh! Sorry to hear about this, that's a real bummer. The $10k estimate might be a bit high, but at best you'd be looking at an $8k repair.

That's awful...If you would've hit the raccoon, the damage would be comprehensive.
Yep. Always better to hit the critter than to swerve (well, unless it's a cow or moose in your lane!). This'll now be handled under Collision insurance and may lead to a rate increase.

·
Super Moderator
5,461 Posts
Great to hear that you are OK!
Yeah, I have an appointment with the adjuster this Friday. He's going to look at the cosmetics before I take it to a trusted shop for a tear down. I hope the suspension bits are alright and I hope the crash structure is ok. I'd really like to keep my car.

Yeah, next time I'm hitting the little f'ker. Really though, I think it was just instincts to avoid.
Gotta retrain those instincts then - brake only for animals - and let the car save you if you do hit (that is what the crash structure is for!!).

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Yep. Sucks. I have hit two little squirrels in my Elise mid corner at different time. My girlfriend was pretty upset, but it was me or them, and I wasn't moving. I had a friend wreck his car trying to avoid a rabbit a long time ago.

·
Registered
263 Posts
ouch that sucks :(. i would agree with the others... its gonna be about 10-12k.

·
Premium Member
12,145 Posts

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
If you bounced off a curb I would be more worried about the suspension mounts. Go have a look … I’m hoping for good news that all is good underneath.
Ditto. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
If it were Calif. the repair would be $15-$18k. The Chrome Orange is a tough color to match and to do it well they might paint almost the entire car. Sorry to hear about your car, but am glad you are OK.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just wondering why the entire front clam gets replaced on a fiberglass car wouldn't it be cheaper to repair than replace?

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Just wondering why the entire front clam gets replaced on a fiberglass car wouldn't it be cheaper to repair than replace?
Everything above the license plate plith is structural according to Lotus. And if you are going to go through insurance, you might as well get a new clam.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Swerving to miss animals (other than human animals) is just plain STUPID!! Ditto hard braking. The "I brake for animals" crazies don't mind putting their lives, their families lives, and innocent strangers lives in danger for their little Disney friends. I like animals too, but the number of deaths and serious injuries we see in the northwoods from attempted avoidance of animals is not insignificant. Just hit them, you may damage your car but you will probably stay on your side of the road and not hit an approachong vehicle or a tree....DAve

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Swerving to miss animals (other than human animals) is just plain STUPID!! Ditto hard braking.
Well, let's be fair, it's instinctual to want to swerve. I grew up in a deer-infested part of Oregon, and as I was learning to drive my parents grilled the 'don't swerve' mantra into me. It takes a lot to overcome those instincts.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts