The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, it's been almost 120 days since Scottsdale Lotus closed and my next warranty issue just popped up (literally). :mad:

Looking at the picture, I think the cover just snaps in place? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
Okay. Looking at the picture, I think it does snap into place. I'm hoping maybe Lotus can just send me the part without having to make an 800 mile round trip to California.
I live in Prescott and it's only 200 miles to Courtesy Lotus in Las Vagas, I plan to visit them in a couple of weeks to get a couple of warranty items fixed. It should only be another 90 miles for you, straight up 17 to the I 40 and head west. ;)

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd rather not go to Courtesy. They have a red 2013 IPS S that they're trying to sell me. :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'd rather not go to Courtesy. They have a red 2013 IPS S that they're trying to sell me. :)

Yeh, I looked at it when I was searching for my Evora S, they would have made me a good deal on it but it didn't have the Tech Package and I didn't like the black wheels, even though they are popular with most people.

Whoops, the one I was looking at was a red 6 speed manual, they are still advertising it. ;)

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was afraid of this:

Sent: Thursday, March 27, 2014 1:14 PM
To: Allan Gibbs
Subject: RE: Missing headlight washer cover

Good Afternoon Allan,
I’m sorry to hear about the headlight washer cover. Since we are no longer servicing Lotus we are not taking on any Lotus work be that warranty or not. Hopefully one of the nearby Lotus dealers will be able to assist.

Lotus Cars customer service 1-800-245-6887

Thank you,

Service Consultant
Scottsdale Ferrari | Maserati

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Has anyone had to call Lotus' customer service? Just wondering how long it take until they respond.

This issue, even though minor, is going to be a make or break factor for me as to whether I keep my Evora if there's no dealer here.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
glad to see you are sticking around AG

·
Illegal Alien
5,262 Posts
Hang in there Allan.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. Logically, I know I'm over reacting but six months ago, trim issues like this (and I've had a lot) meant two (one for the order and the second trip for the install) twenty minute drives to the dealer and I got to look at some cool Ferraris, Maseratis, Lotus, and Fiskers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have been calling Lotus 800 number for weeks multiple times as of today no return phone call.
Have a new 2011 Evora S with many issues. Asked the dealer to be sure there were no issues before they shipped the car. Guess they would rather deliver the car with issues and let someone else fix them.
Love the car but there is no excuse for delivering a car with problems. Bought many Porsches in the past and have never had these problems.
Did take the car to a dealer to look at and was told the dash was going bad but could not replace it until it gets worse which the guy said would be this summer.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I have been calling Lotus 800 number for weeks multiple times as of today no return phone call.
Have a new 2011 Evora S with many issues. Asked the dealer to be sure there were no issues before they shipped the car. Guess they would rather deliver the car with issues and let someone else fix them.
Love the car but there is no excuse for delivering a car with problems. Bought many Porsches in the past and have never had these problems.
Did take the car to a dealer to look at and was told the dash was going bad but could not replace it until it gets worse which the guy said would be this summer.
What's your list of issues? Man - I really want an Evora but with the closest dealer over 300 miles from me and so many problems even with low mileage, I'm rethinking this.....

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Other than a dash 'going bad', what else is wrong with your car? If the car dash was going bad but not bad enough to meet Lotus warranty, I can see why the dealer who sold it didn't replace it. It wasn't bad enough for warranty replacement yet.

I just drove my new 2011 Evora back from Texas last weekend. Had a driver's door side lock issue (didn't open right) and I broke the glove box string. The local Orlando dealer did the 1,000 mile service and got me running like new (that string did cost me $45 - lesson learned). They were very professional and competent.

Always tricky buying a car long distance, but this is not a Porsche, it is a hand-made British car. I'd probably have flown out to inspect the car before acceptance (even if they were delivering). I'm happy dealing with small problems as long as the parts that really matter (engine, suspension, etc.) are all good.

Truth is you will only really need the dealer for 'warranty work', as it is not a complicated car to work on. Any competent mechanic can take care of most things.

Rick

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What's your list of issues? Man - I really want an Evora but with the closest dealer over 300 miles from me and so many problems even with low mileage, I'm rethinking this.....
Depends on your tolerance for non-major issues. I think only the IPS cars have had issues that required a tow to the dealership. Most issues are a nuisance but can be worked around.

Here's some of the items I've had with my two Evoras:

2011 S:
-Warped/sagging roof liner;
-Brake sensor was bad preventing me from using sport mode;
-Trunk liner keeps melting/falling off (upgraded to 2013 version)
-Rear seats lifting
-Clicking in steering wheel (clip or something was broken)
-Missing headlight washer cover
-Bubbles in Star Shield
-Lost "A" in "Evora" badge

Demo car 2011 n/a:
-Cruise control didn't work
-Brake sensor was bad preventing me from using sport mode
-A/C didn't work (multiple trips to resolve)
-Clicking in steering wheel
-Seat had wear and tear.
-Dashboard was warped and air bag cover lifting
-Sub-woofer stopped working

There are more but these are the ones I remember. Reliability is better on 2012+2013 models so you may not have all of these issues.

·
Premium Member
2,482 Posts
Allan,
Since you had "Clicking in steering wheel (clip or something was broken)" on both your cars, can you advise what they replaced? Mine has on/off clicking in the wheel. But, as usual, it never happens on my trips to the dealer.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It was a clip (plastic I believe) that was broken and replace under warranty. On the S, it was initially very intermittent and only happened close to wheel lock. Eventually, it became more frequent and the dealer verified it.

I'll try to find the service record when I get home.

·
Registered
8 Posts
First I asked the selling dealer to check out the car and fix any issues. The car was delivered with a MSO I am the first owner, even though it is a 2011 it was new and has over two years remaining on the factory warrantee. Had 581 miles when delivered.

Seat belt light stayed on intermittently. Dealer knew of this problem but could not find it. Had they pulled the driver's seat they would have found the defective wire.

Subwoofer did not work. This problem was a defective subwoofer amp. I was told by a dealer they need to look at the amp to determine it was indeed bad and would have to order a new one and it takes two weeks to get one. Getting to the subwoofer and amp is a lot of work. (Described here on the forum in many threads). I decided to upgrade the subwoofer and buy a new amp verses leaving the car apart for weeks or putting it back together and taking it back apart again.

Carpet in trunk loose. The heat causes the glue to melt and the insulation the carpet is attached to separates from the body. Looking at fasteners to fix this issue.

Drivers side rear exterior plastic trim piece above rear window was loose. Removed trim piece adjusted fastening screws and reinstalled.

Areas of the Star Shield will need to be replaced. Edges of the film are coming up. I have other cars this old with Xpel film with no issues.

Battery had been replaced with a new battery that was too big to fit properly and was not bolted in. I bought a battery that was the right size and had to make a bracket to bolt it in since there wasn't one in the car.

The car was delivered with original engine oil. In my opinion the oil should have been changed at least once during the period the dealer had the car. From the records I found the dealer had the car about 2.5 years.

In my opinion this Evora S handles better and rides better than the 2011 911 4S I also own. I find the acceleration to be similar. 911 has better sounding exhaust. However the Evora S was delivered with more issues than I have had with the 911 since I took delivery of the 911 in March of 2011.

These are just the facts, I am not promoting one car over the other.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
First I asked the selling dealer to check out the car and fix any issues. The car was delivered with a MSO I am the first owner, even though it is a 2011 it was new and has over two years remaining on the factory warrantee. Had 581 miles when delivered.

Seat belt light stayed on intermittently. Dealer knew of this problem but could not find it. Had they pulled the driver's seat they would have found the defective wire.

Subwoofer did not work. This problem was a defective subwoofer amp. I was told by a dealer they need to look at the amp to determine it was indeed bad and would have to order a new one and it takes two weeks to get one. Getting to the subwoofer and amp is a lot of work. (Described here on the forum in many threads). I decided to upgrade the subwoofer and buy a new amp verses leaving the car apart for weeks or putting it back together and taking it back apart again.

Carpet in trunk loose. The heat causes the glue to melt and the insulation the carpet is attached to separates from the body. Looking at fasteners to fix this issue.

Drivers side rear exterior plastic trim piece above rear window was loose. Removed trim piece adjusted fastening screws and reinstalled.

Areas of the Star Shield will need to be replaced. Edges of the film are coming up. I have other cars this old with Xpel film with no issues.

Battery had been replaced with a new battery that was too big to fit properly and was not bolted in. I bought a battery that was the right size and had to make a bracket to bolt it in since there wasn't one in the car.

The car was delivered with original engine oil. In my opinion the oil should have been changed at least once during the period the dealer had the car. From the records I found the dealer had the car about 2.5 years.

In my opinion this Evora S handles better and rides better than the 2011 911 4S I also own. I find the acceleration to be similar. 911 has better sounding exhaust. However the Evora S was delivered with more issues than I have had with the 911 since I took delivery of the 911 in March of 2011.

These are just the facts, I am not promoting one car over the other.
Wow, sounds like a bad dealer. If they had done their job, most of these problems would have been fixed before you received the car. Dealers like this give our cars a bad name. I hope you can get it all fixed.
Ron:shift:

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Yeah that dealer didn't really care and was desperate to dump a 2.5 year old car. Hopefully your frustrations are redeemed by the purchase discount!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Hopefully this isn't the case but you'll probably need a new headlight. When this happened to me, the unused washer fluid ate the plastic and it popped off when I accidentally hit the button. My headlights were already set to be replaced from the peeling film but this added to it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts