The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

At last year's banquet I was asked to be part of a banquet-planning committee so what happened last year (the Petersen debacle) would not repeat itself. The planning was supposed to begin in June, and I even marked it on my calendar.

I suppose I should have predicted that when I started e-mailing requests for a committee meeting or at least some freakin' ideas to scout out suitable locations, I never got a response (specifically, Gayle and Renee). I e-mailed them multiple times, too. Granted, I never made phone calls (and i frankly would rather not), but at the same time I know they do check their e-mail.

As the SCNAX members have proven themselves to be the proactive ones in event planning, I'd like to hand over what little I've done over to you guys. Art, you should bring up the banquet as new business at the next meeting and find out if anyone on the E-Board has done anything yet. If not, then SCNAX can and should plan it out as a group.

I'd still like to have a seat on the committee, but preferably the back seat since I have never done this before. Silly me for thinking I could, with no experience and NO HELP from the people who supposedly were so excited someone else volunteered to help. :( (ask me about the Solo II phone hotline)

Art, I have this media kit from the Marconi Automotive Museum and you can assess whether we can afford that place. I only have venue rental rates; I do not know about catering or valet (if 100 cars show up to the Marconi, valet might be needed cos I don't see where there is enough parking in the immediate area). I think the Marconi would be an awesome place to have the banquet. Lots of exotic cars on display to make your mouths water.

I know some of you feel differently, but I personally wouldn't mind spending upwards of $50 for a ticket. If you guys can work out a budget so it would only be $35 per head at a nice place such as Marconi, that would be awesome.

But, if the E-Board treasury is tight with the pocketbook or resistant to your ideas, I say just book the frickin' SpeedZone again.

Cynically,
Kimberly

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Kim,
I'd love to help you plan this thing, I've planned similar events in the past, and I think the Marconi is a great venue. Why don't we try to meet there at lunchtime one day early next week, we can figure out what we would need to do, do some quick research into what would be involved in table/chair rentals, and call a couple of caterers (I know a few).
We can then take a legitimate number to the meeting. With some real options.

Robert

PS- I've missed the last few year-end banquets, so how many people have been attending lately? How much has it cost?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Where is the Marconi???

I'm not familiar with it?

Banquet cost has been cheap at Speedzone, I don't recall exactly but wasn't it like $20?

I don't mind a higher cost, but I think its important that if it is a higher cost, that a marketing effort has to be established early to explain to people why the cost is worth it and sell the evening. The big risk with the Peterson, was not so much the cost as the lateness of the information and the danger of not meeting the minimum guarantees.

Those guarantees get up there when you start talking about $40+ a head costs. And having no experience testing reaction to Cal Clubbers to such a price, it gets "scary".

If we have lots of lead time we can overcome that. It takes leadership.... Not to be political or anything.... :rolleyes: :p

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Marconi has a Web site here: www.marconimuseum.org

I'd love to stay involved in the planning but I really no longer have an interest in spearheading this. All the questions Robert had were questions I've been trying to ask via e-mail, with no response. (And I know they check their e-mail and I will NOT accept an excuse of, "Oh i must have missed that message.") I do not have the energy to wage battles with the E-Board; and it seems that any small request you make of them, they turn it into a battle if not a Civil War! I don't need that kind of stress. And they wonder why more people don't want to volunteer. I don't expect management to be run perfectly smoothly, but after what I have been told about the club's history and witnessing it myself, without drastic changes to the board I have no interest in the Club's activities beyond competing in the events.

Wow, I think I'm PO'd. Better take a breath!

Can't wait for the elections.
Kimberly

·
Registered
125 Posts
Kimberly,

We share your frustration. What you speak of has been widely noticed of late by many, many people. Some choose to believe that people like you and I are the problem, but it's obvious that isn't the case.

I can easily think of ten people that have volunteered for things within CalClub Solo2 and have been sent packing by the "pocket veto" method, namely don't react to something and eventually it'll go away. Many others have been shouted down and have openly said as much. It's sad, but far more sad that this practice has people who defend it.

As for the questions...

Last year (I'm guessing) about 100 people were there, about 55% were active participants. I believe it was $20 a head. Food was okay, but nothing special. (Catered food rarely impresses me...mabye we should get Taco Mesa to cater! *Everybody* loves Taco Mesa! :)

Many people carped about paying $75 for spouses to go to the Peterson. I think it was $40 for drivers. I didn't think it was a big deal. A couple people actually whined about $40 for a driver.

Something distracting (museum) is nice, but there's about 2-3 hours of handing out awards and at least an hour for dinner. Could make a long evening.

Hope this helps...la

1 - 6 of 6 Posts