The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I started to post this over an hour ago but the power went out.

The lightning tonight was awesome. It sounded like a freight train running past my house and it continued for about an hour. Flashes were occurring at an average rate of about 20/second and the thunder was a continuous rumble.

I haven't experienced an electrical storm like this since the time I was caught in a tornado in Missouri!

The chart below came from Southwest Lightning The gaps were from power outages. This might be a record!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
:shrug:What's the number 1130 stand for?
"Yellow numerals indicate peak stroke count and time it occurred"

I'm so jealous. If you could just push that storm a bit west, we'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I love thunder/lightning storms! We've had a few here this summer but not as many as normal, hopefully there will be a few more good ones before the season is over.

Noble

·
Registered
855 Posts
I had a good one at the house last evening as well. It seemed like the lightning was hitting right across the street from my house. After it cleared a large tree was knocked down, at the roots, in my neighbors’ front yard. I think it was down from the wind but still a lot of power coming from the sky is cool to watch....as long as you’re indoors!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Where are the pics!

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
:shrug:What's the number 1130 stand for?
Number of lightning strikes in one minute. The color codes indicate the type of lightning -- intra-cloud, cloud to ground, and plolarity. When I last looked at that web-site last night, they had recoreded over 383,000 strikes during a 24-hour period.

The National Weather Service this morning indicates that peak wind gusts may have reached 100 mph last night. Some nearby areas saw 3/4 inch hail.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
"Yellow numerals indicate peak stroke count and time it occurred"

I'm so jealous. If you could just push that storm a bit west, we'd appreciate it.
Heh, heh...you said 'peak stroke count'. :D

On a more mature note, that does look like a heck of a storm and that's coming from someone who lives in the lightning capital of the US.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Last night's storm was a major topic on the local news today. A lot of trees were blown down, power poles snapped, block fences toppled, roofs torn off, etc. ASU had recently completed an $8M covered (inflated dome) practice field for the Sun Devils football team -- it was ripped to shreds. Sky Harbor Airport was shut down because of debris on the runways. Utility companies reported over 100,000 customers lost power last night and 48,000 were still without power this morning.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts