The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
She doesn't seem to be sobbing much from the quotes in the article. From what I gather, the media is to blame for dramatizing her situation.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Martha Stewart is alledged to have engaged in a bit of insider trading (she was tipped off by a friend of hers, Samuel Wachsel, that shares of Imclone the company that he headed, were about to take a dive)... okay so let's say she did. She got out, before the rest and it was unfair. But noone was really hurt by her actions, as I understand it.

Now, let's consider Ken Lay, the president's close friend, political ally and biggest campaign contributor. Ken's company, Enron, first participates in the ripping off of the State of California in the energy deregulation debacle (they were also instrumental in getting deregulation passed in the state legislature, BTW) to the tunes of billions, and then comea crashing to the ground due to bogus accounting and general sleazy business practices. In the process, the top executives of Enron, including Lay, bailed out (sold their personal Enron shares) in time but left the workers of Enron and the general public holding the (empty) bag. This has cost ordinary working stiffs billions of dollars in lost pension accounts, etc., not to mention thousands of lost jobs. So, where's Ken right now, and why isn't the "liberal" media hounding him ?

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
IMO, it is not politically based. It's about sensationalism. Martha is news. It's the flash and sizzle. Like Michael Jackson. Celebrity news sells. Not corporate guys.

It's not big news because of what Martha did, but because it's Martha.

And also add in that some people have heard of Martha's being a bit overhanded in her treatment of employees, neighbors. Is it true? I don't know. But it makes people feel even more inclined to see joy in her fall from the pedestal.

Lastly, there is also some normal tendency among many to want to bring down those at the top. And nobody can deny that Martha has been very successful.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I agree with you, Randy. But I find it frustrating, that most people seem to get very easily distracted by what is basically "small fry"(M Stewart, M Jackson, OJ, etc.) while meanwhile the stories that aren't "sexy" largely go unreported.

But these very same stories are the ones that really need the attention, because they're the ones that really matter in people's lives, in terms of how much stuff costs (food, energy, gasoline, water), the quality of the environment we live in, whether we'll have a decent health care system, whether we'll have enough money to retire on, and so on.

And of course, the most important story of all - THE ELISE :)

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Well, first let me add a disclaimer that I am not enthused about political debates on here, I get enough of that at work. That being said, I still want to add something.

I agree that a lot of the important issues are glossed over. And even more than that, I'm frequently amazed by the lack of interest people show for local politics (city and state level) because of their interest in federal politics. Personally, I'd rather not have big government. Every time something happens and there's a big lawsuit, Capitol Hill feels the need to put some new legislation on the books. Sometimes it's justified, but most often it's a knee jerk reaction. I'd much rather that we have the overarching framework laid out by the federal government, with the state and local governments tailoring laws to fit the needs of the people in those regions. (Yes, I realize this is the way the consititution lays it out... I think we're moving away from this, though) I don't think Texans have the same wish list as, say, New Jersey. Yet most people I talk to have voted for the President, their congressmen and senators, and that's about it. Why aren't we voting for our mayors, sherriffs, state legislature, etc? I think mainly cause it's not exciting for the media to talk about it.

Just my two cents...

Cade

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
MotorCade said:
Well, first let me add a disclaimer that I am not enthused about political debates on here
Debates against "debating" makes one a proponent of the entity to which one is opposed (i.e. "debating").
MotorCade said:
I'd rather not have big government.
We're bombarded with so many nefarious "BIG" institutions these days, it's easy to lose understanding of what the term really means. "BIG" has become a term of infamy, relating to the Goliath that the "little guy" fears, embodying those things he has no control over. "BIG" government isn't an entity that should be feared, though... it is merely the incorporation of smaller governmental entities into one homologous whole.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
mikester said:
She got out, before the rest and it was unfair. But noone was really hurt by her actions, as I understand it.
To sell stock, someone has to buy it. The ones who were hurt were the ones who bought the stock that she sold. The amount wasn't huge and the damage miniscule compared to the likes of Ken Lay, but it was illegal and someone did get hurt.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Transio,

First of all, I never said I was against debating. I said I get tired of political debates, and I don't think this should be the place for them. Join a political forum and debate to your hearts content. Unless the content is car related politics, it's irritating to me, (and possibly others) on here.

And as far as BIG government goes, let me clarify, since you're taking issue with my choice of words. I mean, I am in favor of greater decentralization of government and releasing more power to the state level. I feel it keeps the system running as it was designed, and that means more people are happy.

And whether or not you agree, I'd prefer to not discuss this here.
Please respond if you feel fit, but I've already said what I needed to say, and I plan to say no more about this.

Cade

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
MotorCade said:
First of all, I never said I was against debating. I said I get tired of political debates, and I don't think this should be the place for them. Join a political forum and debate to your hearts content. Unless the content is car related politics, it's irritating to me, (and possibly others) on here.
I was making a general point. I never even joined the political debate. You, on the other hand, said you were against such debates in this context and then proceeded to join this one, which is what my point was about, more or less.

MotorCade said:
And as far as BIG government goes, let me clarify, since you're taking issue with my choice of words.
My issue isn't with your point. I actually agree with it. My issue is with the overuse and misuse of the word "BIG" in general. Although it may be applicable in the case of your argument, the word is unwittingly applied by many liberals to any significant entity perceived as overtly capitalistic (i.e. "bad").

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Martha - Example of someone getting what they deserve. Didn't care about her until this happened. If she did do it then she should get punished.

Kenny boy - He has succesfully ruined many people's lives. He should spend many many years behind bars with very bad people. So should alot of people associated with this shameful ordeal.

Government (at any level) - not worth the time. I voted twice in my life & I won't do it again until there is someone worth voting for, which, unfortuneatly probably will be never.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I love Martha! :D She's so cool. Ahemmm.... I must confess. Yes, I watch her show sometimes! But it's amazing the food and stuff she makes. Gahh!!! I'm so hungry now! Drats, It's almost 2pm and I forgot to eat lunch! Must eat...energy....fa.......ding. *plunk* (falls over hits head on ground and fluid exits mouth)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts