The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was about to start my last session at the track a couple weeks when my baby wouldn't start. Lights come on but no ignition at all. I did drive all the way to the track with the plug off the hot soak pump and plugged it in when it was still hot so the pump turned on straight away. However, I ran 3 sessions after doing this and car started just fine.

I've read quite a number of existing threads to help.

1) Not the inertia switch or fuses, all checked.
2) Battery is fine, even tried adding another battery in parallel using jumper cables just in case
3) Car will start with lead from +ve battery to starter solenoid. Phew, not starter motor, ecu.
4) I've taken the multi function relay out. all four relays including the starter relay work fine with 12V tester and continuity at the relevant pins at the connectors. But the MF relay can still be at fault? Looking to order a spare anyway.
5) don't think it's the immobilizer as i hear the fuel pump prime when immobilizer is off. Cant hear it prime when immobilizer is on.

Does anyone have an electrical diagram of the ignition system (key start) to starter motor so I can further diagnose why 12V is not getting to the starter solenoid? Thinking it may be ignition switch, ground cables (I can see the tranny to chassis ground. I understand there is a 2nd ground?)

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
But heres the wiring trace as best as I can tell

With key on verify power at fuse 13 and that the fuse is good W in G out WR out of the start switch to verify start switch works.
With start button pressed verify power comes out of alarm connector 6 to start relay Color B
Then verify power is coming out of the MFRU pin 5 to the starter. color B

gonna go with fuse.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
So when you push on the button, nothing happens? I've had two bad switches in my time with this car. It would help if I kinda snapped the button down by putting my finger on the fixed rim of the button and sliding it down to snap the button depressed... like snapping your fingers. lol

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
yup, start by removing the access panel and check the starter button.

and check fuse 13 as mentioned.

*ignore the blue arrow.

starterbuttoncircuit.jpg

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Have you checked the start push button? They go bad sometimes it seems.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Hey @thebuzzard, I have a UK 06 model. It's got a key start and no button start.

What year car the wiring schematics are different.

I have a MFRU used working as well if you need to try that.
But heres the wiring trace as best as I can tell

With key on verify power at fuse 13 and that the fuse is good W in G out WR out of the start switch to verify start switch works.
With start button pressed verify power comes out of alarm connector 6 to start relay Color B
Then verify power is coming out of the MFRU pin 5 to the starter. color B

gonna go with fuse.
Hey @kfennell, mine is a UK 06 without start button. I'm all the way down under, wish it was easy to get a hold of your MFRU to try. thx for the diagnosis steps. How would i do this differ without a start button? Have someone turn key to start instead of start button?

What's "fuse is good W in G out WR"?

Also my starter switch physically broke once, but I think that was my fault.
Starter switch = starter button?

So when you push on the button, nothing happens? I've had two bad switches in my time with this car. It would help if I kinda snapped the button down by putting my finger on the fixed rim of the button and sliding it down to snap the button depressed... like snapping your fingers. lol
Lol, no button for me here. But yep, dash lights all good, fuel priming, turn key fully, nothing.

yup, start by removing the access panel and check the starter button.

and check fuse 13 as mentioned.

*ignore the blue arrow.

View attachment 1243028
Will check fuse 13 again specially, thanks!!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hate you for not mentioning that in your initial question. You might as well have asked on the corvette forums.
Sorry, is it the key start I should have mentioned or I'm from Australia. I didn't realise all Elises in the states had push buttons?

Really appreciated all the help so far from everyone, i woke up excited to see all the help, sorry caused any offence. I just want to be able to start her again without having to roll start or connect starter directly with battery.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got access to the ignition switch. It tested voltage fine at crank. Next is to test voltage at immobilizer.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No voltage getting to RMC2 pin 6 at starter relay when cranking. My bet is on the immobiliser. I'll check if voltage is at pin 5 at crank and then if there is also voltage at pin 12.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
try this

lock unlock 3 times, push clutch in 3 times, shift car in gear and put it through all the gears 1-6 and then with the clutch pushed in try to start.

:smile2:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts