The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can the rear view camera be turned on to show traffic behind the car while driving? I was thinking about this because I drive a Mercedes Sprinter for work, and it has a full time rear view camera that works great. I was just wondering if anyone has enabled the backup camera to work other than in reverse. I looked in the manual and other books, but could not find anything.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm thinking you could use a 1 to 2 RCA adapter one side would go to the rear cam input and the other would go to the 2nd A/V input. I think that the reverse sense wire is only used to switch modes to rear view mode but if you select the 2nd av input it should be active. But you might have to put the e-brake on 1 click to use while moving or install a ebrake bypass relay.

·
Registered
396 Posts
FWIW, I asked my local mobile audio shop to look at this when they installed my parking brake bypass. He said the reverse camera is powered by the reverse lights, so he'd have to run a new power wire. Not a huge deal since the battery is right back there, but I have yet to try it even verify what he said.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
Lynn - after a bit of work you need to send power to the rearview box but NOT to the head unit. If you have power to the reverse line into the head unit it will ALWAYS show the camera view and you lose the radio function.

·
Registered
143 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
on my elise

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lynn - after a bit of work you need to send power to the rearview box but NOT to the head unit. If you have power to the reverse line into the head unit it will ALWAYS show the camera view and you lose the radio function.

I will see what a quality audio shop would say about re-working the wiring and see if it can have a on/off switch so the rear view camera can be toggled between Nav/Radio/I-Pod and camera.

If I found anything out, I will post the information here.

·
Premium Member
6,587 Posts
In all seriousness, all you folks need is a little round convex mirror attached to each side view mirror. The additional view that gives ties in fine with the vision we have. If the rear view display was heads up I'd differ but looking down at the display on the dash is same distraction as texting etc. Anything that makes you take your eyes off the road is a distraction.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Mine is not wired to turn on when I go into reverse gear. It is on all the time but there is a switch to turn it off if I want to. But I usually keep it on all the time.

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Have you used it? Do you have some pictures?
No, but it's a good company with quality products. The higher cost I'm sure would be worth it in the long run in comparison to the $100 knock-offs on Amazon & eBay.

I'm not positive it would be a direct swap in the Evora, but changing the mirror mount to fit this wouldn't be a big issue.

I think this, aimed a little high to look at traffic, would be a great compliment to the OEM reversing camera built into the head unit.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Considering the rear-view mirror is rather pointless, I'm surprised no one has recommended replacing it with a mirror with an integrated camera. Just don't wire it to the reverse lights and you could turn it on/off as needed.

Gentex Auto-dimming Mirrors with Rear Camera Display from MITO Corporation Excellence in Electronics for Auto, Car, Truck, SUV, RV and Boats
BTDT, or at least tried it with the exige. I tried the Nav unit with Bluetooth installed in it and it was way to heavy for the mount. Plus 1 larger bump and it is coming down.

·
Registered
110 Posts
BTDT, or at least tried it with the exige. I tried the Nav unit with Bluetooth installed in it and it was way to heavy for the mount. Plus 1 larger bump and it is coming down.
There's no way that's any heavier than the many OEM units with similar technology. My guess is you expected the OEM adhesive and bracket to hold a much heavier mirror. The bracket needs to be removed/replaced and one applied that is meant for the additional weight.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
The Gentex mirror has a little square in it for rearview.

Would be cool for the entire mirror to be camera based.

Much like all those show cars with no side mirrors.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am not saying that our rear view mirror do not work, it just does not give you us a very good rear view of what is directly behind. I do use the side mirrors and count on them for most rear view visibility. But, sometimes it would be nice to have a full view of what is behind you, especially if the vehicle is close.

This one is kinda pricey, but what do you think?

http://advancedelectronic.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=44599

1 - 19 of 19 Posts