The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Parts Finder
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
See how many people pull the hair out on my mirror solution lol. Turn on with with ignition and says on till key removed. With near zero rear view mirror viewing on the Exige this is my solution. Mounts where you would normally look and mounted camera on hatch (not finished) to give better view of cars in blind spot. Just need take for a drive at night to see night vision

Attachments

·
Registered
6,538 Posts
I used a wireless back camera setup on my Exige S. The usual license plate bracket mounted camera. Rather than tapping into the nearby reverse lights to turn camera on, i ran a wire under the boot carpet into the engine compartment to the fuse box, and tapped into a line that was always hot when the ignition was on.

As it was wireless as far as connecting to the screen was concerned, didn't need to run a camera wire into the cabin.

Mounted the 4" screen UNDER the dash on a hinged bracket. Like yours, camera came on with the ignition. I'd pull the screen forward when driving, folded back under the dash out of sight (to discourage theft) when car was parked.

I removed the interior rear view, and pondered putting the screen in its place, as you did. In the end putting it below the dash didn't compromise utility, made it easy to fold out of sight when not being used, and I didn't have to figure out how to hide the power cord.

·
Registered
437 Posts
See how many people pull the hair out on my mirror solution lol. Turn on with with ignition and says on till key removed. With near zero rear view mirror viewing on the Exige this is my solution. Mounts where you would normally look and mounted camera on hatch (not finished) to give better view of cars in blind spot. Just need take for a drive at night to see night vision
That mounting location looks pretty bad. Try this:
https://www.costco.com/Type-S-Solar-Powered-HD-Quick-Connect-Wireless-Backup-Camera.product.100425010.html

·
Registered
6,538 Posts

·
Parts Finder
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did this:

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f157/rear-view-cam-update-464062/

I have my camera mounted on the hatch under the wing

I plan on moving it under the hatch and cutting a hole in the center mesh. I already purchased a replacement mesh so it can be put back to stock, in case you were worried...

The problem with standard back up camera location is you cannot see past traffic.
With blind spots on these cars mounting to license plate really does not help with cars at you quarter panel. Going for a race car look on car so having cam on hatch does not bother me

·
Registered
6,538 Posts
With blind spots on these cars mounting to license plate really does not help with cars at you quarter panel.
Wholly disagree and that was not the case with my setup. Most backup cameras are actually slightly
fish-eye.'

With my side mirrors and the backup cam on full time, there were NO blind spots at all.

Reactions: sleepe

·
Premium Member
2,671 Posts
As I have discovered, they really don't rate cameras for going 80 mph backwards in the rain

you may want to make a cover for it anyway

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,041 Posts
Full time front and rear facing camera

This is the product I installed on an Exige.
https://dabonda.en.ec21.com/Car_Black_Box_DABONDA_MIRACLE--8419218_8419826.html
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Capacitor-Dashboard-G-Sensor-Recording-Support/dp/B00I3NG45G/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8[/ame]

I mounted the front facing camera (4" screen) in place of the rear view mirror and wired
it so it turns on with ignition switched. It's HD 1080 resolution. It's a touch screen and has PIP if desired so you can see front and rear simultaneously. It has a mini SD card that records on a loop, front and rear.

The rear facing camera is held by velcro next to the license plate housing lamp. The wire
is barely noticeable. It is not a waterproof camera so I used black silicone to seal the surround. It's HD 720 resolution.

I've had it since March 2014 without issue. It has many features, most of which i don't bother with because all I wanted was the backup camera feature.

-Robert

1 - 9 of 9 Posts