The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some unknown reason my backup sensor alert tone comes on as soon as I shift to reverse, & it is a solid tone. It stays on the entire time I'm in reverse, & has been doing this for a few days now & is annoying. Any ideas how I should troubleshoot this & isolate the problem?

·
694 Posts
For some unknown reason my backup sensor alert tone comes on as soon as I shift to reverse, & it is a solid tone. It stays on the entire time I'm in reverse, & has been doing this for a few days now & is annoying. Any ideas how I should troubleshoot this & isolate the problem?
Wash the sensors on the rear bumper? Otherwise, it might be a faulty sensor.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
It's a faulty sensor or the control unit itself. I just got my car back from the dealer on Wednesday and had them replace mine under warranty because it was doing the same thing. They replaced them all even though it was the far passenger side that was bad.

If you listen closely you will notice that it is not really a constant tone. There will be small breaks in the tone telling you which sensor is bad. If looking at the rear of the car they are numbered as 1-4, left to right.

From the Cobra manual

Sensor 1 fault1 long beep followed by 1 beep Contact your installer

Sensor 2 fault 1 long beep followed by 2 beeps Contact your installer

Sensor 3 fault 1 long beep followed by 3 beeps Contact your installer

Sensor 4 fault 1 long beep followed by 4 beeps Contact your installer

Central unit fault 1 long beep followed by 5 beeps Contact your installer

What I did before getting it fixed, open up the boot, look inside and left of the battery compartment you will see the sensor control unit mounted to the wall. Unplug the connector that goes into the port labeled Buzzer. It will be the one on the far left, this will kill the annoying buzzing when you throw it in reverse.

You can find the sensors cheap on ebay once you narrow down the problem. If it is the sensor itself that is bad its a quick 10 minute fix. If cleaning it and the connections doesn't work, it could be one of the leads. When I took mine apart it was the black wire coming from the lead to the connector that had broken. To run new leads, this requires you to remove the bumper to route a new cable.

Here is the harness routing below (#5 purple)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a faulty sensor or the control unit itself. I just got my car back from the dealer on Wednesday and had them replace mine under warranty because it was doing the same thing. They replaced them all even though it was the far passenger side that was bad.

If you listen closely you will notice that it is not really a constant tone. There will be small breaks in the tone telling you which sensor is bad. If looking at the rear of the car they are numbered as 1-4, left to right.

From the Cobra manual

Sensor 1 fault1 long beep followed by 1 beep Contact your installer

Sensor 2 fault 1 long beep followed by 2 beeps Contact your installer

Sensor 3 fault 1 long beep followed by 3 beeps Contact your installer

Sensor 4 fault 1 long beep followed by 4 beeps Contact your installer

Central unit fault 1 long beep followed by 5 beeps Contact your installer

What I did before getting it fixed, open up the boot, look inside and left of the battery compartment you will see the sensor control unit mounted to the wall. Unplug the connector that goes into the port labeled Buzzer. It will be the one on the far left, this will kill the annoying buzzing when you throw it in reverse.

You can find the sensors cheap on ebay once you narrow down the problem. If it is the sensor itself that is bad its a quick 10 minute fix. If cleaning it and the connections doesn't work, it could be one of the leads. When I took mine apart it was the black wire coming from the lead to the connector that had broken. To run new leads, this requires you to remove the bumper to route a new cable.

Here is the harness routing below (#5 purple)
Very thorough! Thank you!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts