The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
part #

I still don't see anyone posting the correct part # for a Toyota alternator (or any other). I called Toyota dealer and while he was willing to sell it to me, he mentioned that some alternators are different for that engine even for Toyota cars. In particular, automatic vs. stick is one difference but I think he said the Corolla has a version which uses the same engine as the Celica but its part # is different. If I get it from them, there is no guarantee it will work. Lotus price is $1300 ! Just for the part! Gulp!

Scott

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
i went to auto zone bought one for 107 dollars.

i got the celica gts one. fit fine.

·
Saffron Yellow is Lighter
1,268 Posts
i went to auto zone bought one for 107 dollars.

i got the celica gts one. fit fine.
So how hard was it to reach the bolts and wiring to get the alternator out/in?

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
Hmm my bolts were 12mm head, 12mm head, 14mm head.... (2005 elise) no 17mm anything. Torque specs in post #17 therefore don't seem to apply? Anyone got torque specs for my setup? I did notice that the bottom (14mm) one took quite a yank to unfasten. None of them had loctite as far as I can tell (they turned very freely after initial release)

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
Here is the connector on the alternator on my 2005 Elise. Attempting a thermostat change.

Looking from right side of car down on the control-circuit connector. The main current connector with its rubber hood and 10mm-wrench nut came off with no trouble.

How do I get the control-circuit connector to unplug from the alternator without breaking it? I don't know if there is a release catch or how to release it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Push down on the top right there then pull. However it is super hard and I think I have had to remove the alternator before I disconnected it every time.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
Push down on the top right there then pull. However it is super hard and I think I have had to remove the alternator before I disconnected it every time.
I put my finger on the part that faces car left and my thumb on on the part that faces car right and squeezed as hard as I can. Then a straight put towards the front of the car and it slid out easily.

Hint: When putting the alternator back in, put a loop of strong string through the top ear. This makes it easiy to hold up the weight of the alternator by pulling up on the strng loop with your right hand whilst you coax the double ears on the bottom around the ear on the block and slide in the bottom bolt. Then you can cut the string out and swing the top ear back and start that top bolt.

·
Vendor
3,182 Posts
2005 Celica GTS uses the same alternator. This is not a huge job. Alt is right on top and reasonably accessible in the Elise. Even If I had little to no skill, I would do this myself.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
2005 Celica GTS uses the same alternator. This is not a huge job. Alt is right on top and reasonably accessible in the Elise. Even If I had little to no skill, I would do this myself.
I just did it so I could reach the thermostat.

Thanks for all your guidance over the years, Fred. Your advice and products have transformed my Else.

·
Vendor
3,182 Posts
I just did it so I could reach the thermostat.

Thanks for all your guidance over the years, Fred. Your advice and products have transformed my Else.
Thanks for the kind words! My pleasure! Just took our street car out to pickup some super-top-secret Supercharger oil from UPS store. Blustery day, but sunny. Top off, TVS400 & Penskes blasting down a twisty two lane reminded me what it is all about.... :smile2:

21 - 36 of 36 Posts