The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,689 Posts
:crazyeyes:eek: Hard to believe his arms are still attached after that one picture !! -eek-

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
ouch that hurts big time, i guess he was sideways when he hit the sand moguls

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
What is it with the COM only responses?

..........nasty crash BTW -eek-

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,689 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Wow... glad he made it out of that...

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
that's why they say "grip the wheel in a crash".
Who the heck says that?!?!?

Assuming the crash isn't violent enough to rip your hands away from whatever you're gripping, you're better off crossing your arms in front of your chest and grabbing your harness straps.

xtn

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
lol, someone lied to you...

cross arms in front of you, and hope you live :shrug:

PS: what XTN said

·
Registered
443 Posts
Another reason to NOT grip the steering wheel is that you can break your wrists and/or arms from either the impact or having the steering wheel turned suddenly as a wheel hits something. This is more prevelent in manual steering rack cars and formula cars.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Impressive and depressing crash. glad it sounds like he'll be okay.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Wow that 4th pic makes me wince. Ragdoll in a dryer. Ya never grip the wheel in a crash who ever told you that doesnt know how to drive. I come from an offroading background and the first thing you learn is to never have your thumb behind the wheel. Always allow for the wheel to turn and slip over your hands. Ive seen people break there thumbs just by catching a tire on a rock and having the wheel jerk. As fast as this accident happend he probably didnt have enoguh time to react. Get some pretty good G's when you flip around like that. Glad to hear he walked away.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
That's insane! ...and the car stopped rolling upside down-

You could've told me he didn't survive based on the 4th pic-

I'm surprised arm restraints aren't required in that car-

·
Registered
663 Posts
ARM RESTRAINTS!!!!!
Looks like the car had a hard top pre crash so he probably figured he did not need restraints. I have heard that the hard top in our car does the same thing. I watched a video of myself spinning into a gravel trap. I let go of the wheel right before I thought I was going to hit the wall (which I didn't). I was proud until I saw in the video that tried to start the car with the key!

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
I have always heard, and done the opposite.

let go of the wheel when you just become a passanger in the car after loosing complete control.
when letting go of the wheel you dont break your wrists and hands when the wheel violently jerks. also, gently place your head to the back of the seat(when going in backwards( a buddy of mine broke his neck because of the force from keeping his head forward when he went in backwards into a wall.

relax your body so you are flexible and dont shatter like an uncooked noodle. if you are relaxed your body will contort, rather than snap. i learned this from motorcycle roadracing(and crashing), and is one of the reasons i feel strongly about the HANS device i use. I know that i am protected from a violent neck whipiing, and can just relax, and take the hit.

to prevent what happened to this guy, arm restraints would have helped, not gripping the wheel.
edit: posted before reading the others post before mine, ^^^ what they said is correct

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Looks like the car had a hard top pre crash so he probably figured he did not need restraints. I have heard that the hard top in our car does the same thing.
+1

(I was paying too much attention to post-top pictures)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts