The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am hoping that one of you can recommend a good turbo rebuilder for me. The driver's side turbo on my 2001 V8 is leaking oil into the exhaust. It also looks like it fouled the 2 o2 sensors on that side, not sure what condition the cat is in..... If you start the engine up with the exhaust off on that side you can see the oil dripping out. I have a bad pic of it, it was all I could get at the time.

Also, what is the best route to get o2 sensors?

UG!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
BOSCH 13030 is the O2 sensor you want. Bought mine from Amazon for ~$60.

Just don't mix up the plugs when you plug them into the car, do one at a time or label them. Car won't run too well if you switch pre and post cat sensor wires.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
I have seen some threads about a turbo rebuilder in Texas. I think it was $500 a turbo.

How hard is it to replace the turbo with the engine in?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have seen some threads about a turbo rebuilder in Texas. I think it was $500 a turbo.

How hard is it to replace the turbo with the engine in?
As far as working on the esprit goes it isn't that hard to get to. The problem is removing the nuts holding the turbo to the exhaust manifold. They are like welded on and I just don't want to break a stud. Penetrating oil and torch time!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Yep, she is gone :(

I don't know how comfortable you are with DIY, but if you're up for trying it yourself ---- this may be of interest to you :) Of course, this is assuming there is no structural damage, and that your unit is actually rebuildable ---- sometimes, they are not.

http://baeturbosystems.com/garrett-12.aspx

BTW ---- DO NOT EVEN TRY to remove the turbo from the manifold while it is on the car ! It is next to impossible and far too easy to break things :eek:. Instead, remove the exhaust manifold, with the turbo still attached (yes, it is a bit of a PITA to do this with the engine in, but it is doable --- and far easier than pulling the engine, unless you already have other reasons to pull it), then separate the turbo from the flange while it is on the bench (and in a big vise) --- Trust me, you will need the leverage and free access ;)

Also, I have heard the same Garrett T25 unit was used on the Saab 900 (or 9000 ?, IDRW), so you may have a look around in the Saab world for cheaper replacement (used) units ??? Not sure if the actuator set up would need to be adapted or not, though ?

·
Registered
667 Posts
I had a good experience with Majestic Turbo in Texas....

Majestic Turbochargers, Inc. Home Page

Same company I used for my V8. About $500 each, and I would personally recommend doing both even if only one is leaking. Just makes sense to me.

And yes, they are quite a pain to get off. I don't think it is possible on the car. once removed and in a vice you will still need WD-40, a torch, and a huge wrench! Just don't try the WD-40 and the torch at the same time. ;)

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
I had good luck with Turbo City in Orange CA. A lot depends on if and how much damage to the impellers and the housings. The least expensive rebuild will be just seals and bearings but that is not always how it goes. Do not try it yourself, it needs to be dynamically balanced. Do both turbos. How many miles on the car? Most rebuilders recommend replacing the oil lines too when rebuilding the turbos.
David Teitelbaum

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Which oil lines? The ones going all the way up to the front?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The car has about 40k on it. I rebuilt the engine about 8k miles ago and when I fired it up for the first time I had crossed two of the ignition wires on that bank causing unburnt fuel in the exhaust. When I did this on my chevy 350 the engine idled like crap but the Esprit idled fine, I'm guessing the because of the flat crank. The give away was when the exhaust on that side started to glow. I think I caught it early enough but I must have damaged the seals. Oh well....

Thanks for the recommendations guys, I will call them and see what they say.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Sorry to hear that.

What caused the engine rebuild with only 32K miles?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Spun a rod bearing at a track day. One rod went and then it took the rod next to it out. The turbo is just another failure in a long list of failures over the past 11 years. Anyone want to buy a 2001 V8 with some issues? I don't even know what it is worth anymore.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Hang in there.

And it wasn't even clear what an Esprit was worth when it was new, so no one can answer that question until you try to sell it.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
308 Posts
....and when I fired it up for the first time I had crossed two of the ignition wires on that bank causing unburnt fuel in the exhaust. When I did this on my chevy 350 the engine idled like crap but the Esprit idled fine, I'm guessing the because of the flat crank....
Gosh, not trying to rub it in or make you make you feel any worse, but it's awfully tough to get the plug wires crossed on the V8 --- they are laid out so well, and the lengths are rather specifically set up with an OE wire set at least. I suppose #1 & #2 (first 2 from the front of the engine) on either bank are about the same length and could be crossed if not careful. True that with the combination of the flat-plane crank and the firing order, these engines will run surprising well with miss-firing or non-firing of a couple of cylinders --- same is true for all the Ferrari V8 engines. I'm surprised though, that with plug wires crossed you didn't get a CEL, or at least a trouble code, popping up immediately ?.....not to mention a knock sensor detection / signal once you got up in the revs and hit even a small amount of boost ------ makes me worried that the OBD system on these ECU's ain't so great :(

....I rebuilt the engine about 8k miles ago...
Wow, what did that cost ??? I've been led to believe that if you need to do a major rebuild on the V8 engine, you have pretty much totaled the car --- as far as costs go.....?

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Spun a rod bearing at a track day. One rod went and then it took the rod next to it out. The turbo is just another failure in a long list of failures over the past 11 years. Anyone want to buy a 2001 V8 with some issues? I don't even know what it is worth anymore.
Sorry to hear all of this. The V8s *appear* to be very touchy and potentially scarier to live with than my "miserable, hang-grenade" 910 4 banger engine which has managed to give me no trouble with 60K on it.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
He probably crossed the wires at the coil packs. That would be easy to do.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
You probably got some metal into the turbos when the motor died. The lines that should be replaced are the oil feed lines to the turbos.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Gosh, not trying to rub it in or make you make you feel any worse, but it's awfully tough to get the plug wires crossed on the V8 --- they are laid out so well, and the lengths are rather specifically set up with an OE wire set at least. I suppose #1 & #2 (first 2 from the front of the engine) on either bank are about the same length and could be crossed if not careful. True that with the combination of the flat-plane crank and the firing order, these engines will run surprising well with miss-firing or non-firing of a couple of cylinders --- same is true for all the Ferrari V8 engines. I'm surprised though, that with plug wires crossed you didn't get a CEL, or at least a trouble code, popping up immediately ?.....not to mention a knock sensor detection / signal once you got up in the revs and hit even a small amount of boost ------ makes me worried that the OBD system on these ECU's ain't so great :(
Your forgetting to mention that the Lotus wires are numbered too. I technically had the right wires on, just in the wrong place on the coil. That isn't has well numbered. In my experience the first time you start any engine after a rebuild you get a CEL but maybe someone knows something I don't. The V8s like to throw codes just to keep you on your toes.

Wow, what did that cost ??? I've been led to believe that if you need to do a major rebuild on the V8 engine, you have pretty much totaled the car --- as far as costs go.....?
I think I did mine for a little over 4k including all the Lotus specific tools and new parts. I did it myself which saved the biggest cost (labor) but I didn't enjoy it much. It is amazing they fit a v8 where a 4-pot goes but they really should have updated the rear engine cradle area. I am amazed at how high the engine and trans sit when compared to a F355. It could have been their excuse to switch to a better trans too. Don't even get me started on the bending gas petal.

·
Registered
308 Posts
....in the wrong place on the coil. That isn't has well numbered.....
My mistake ---- as Phil also reminded me, it is rather easy to get them switched up at the coil packs ---- I had not thought of that.

Funny, I used to have a 355 too :) And, I did the major service on that beastie one time myself ---- wasn't too bad, with the engine out. With the Esprit, it looks like it would be harder just to pull the engine out of its lair ---- you are right, it really is shoe-horned in there.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My mistake ---- as Phil also reminded me, it is rather easy to get them switched up at the coil packs ---- I had not thought of that.

Funny, I used to have a 355 too :) And, I did the major service on that beastie one time myself ---- wasn't too bad, with the engine out. With the Esprit, it looks like it would be harder just to pull the engine out of its lair ---- you are right, it really is shoe-horned in there.
I have a 355 engine sitting in the cradle in my garage now with the F1 box. I keep wondering how hard it would be to cut the back off the Esprit and install the whole thing. But I digress....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts