The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I emailed Andrew @ Newport a couple days ago about when i could expect delivery and just got a response.

Apparently they have ordered the first 30 cars and he has been told that they will have the first 17 by OCTOBER. I am in the mid 20's and was expecting August delivery. He said he can probably get me my car in those first 17 if i want to pay above MSRP, which i will not do based on principle.

Anyway just thought i would share. It's going to be a long time before most of us get our cars.

-Steve

·
Registered
368 Posts
Sounds like some dealer funny business, that they'd be willing to give you someone else's car or bump you up in line for more $$$.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I'm #4 and I still hope I'll get mine by August!
I think a lot of people are a little over optimistic.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
adamant said:
I'm #4 and I still hope I'll get mine by August!
I think a lot of people are a little over optimistic.
over optimistic? According to lotus you should have your car by now. With the cars supposed May roll out, i think it was reasonable to expect the 20th car by August.

This whole thing is just terribly annoying. It sucks to be a buyer that is bent over a barrel by the seller...it's supposed to be the other way around in the car market. I wish there was something else decent to buy.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
My point exactly. Optimistic = believing Sales!
I have been waiting 2 years now. I just have to wait for the car to arrive, there is no substitute for this car.
Don't get me wrong I am more frustrated about not knowing when the car arrives than about the long wait this year has been, hoping, since April that next month maybe my car will arrive....
BUT someday this year it will. I am only 30mins from the dealership so I am luckier than most. When I drive it away I will be one really happy boy!

·
Registered
224 Posts
# in line?

Hey, offroadr35

What # are you in the 20's? When you faxed in your order, did they explain to you that your deposit just turned into an option? I.E. it does NOT apply towards the purchase of the car?
How much more money did they want to be bumped up to the first 17 batch of delivery?
- dechien
#29 at Newport European.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my money is a deposit, not sure what you worked out with them.

I'd prefer not to give out the $ specifics on here.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
That is a totally realistic time frame. People in the 20's should expect their cars no earlier than towards the end of the year, despite what the dealer says.

It helps to keep a realistic time table to avoid getting your hopes up.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
My dealer just now told me that he's still thinking early June for my car. If there really is a boat on the water, then could be in my car within three weeks!

:clap:

I'll post as I know more.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Hey, anything prior to June 16th is early enough for me. I can't wait for this wait to be over. Five years is a long time to wait. I've avoided all the temptations so far (S2000, Z3, Boxster?!) and I've earned the right mto get my f**king car. Let's hope each dealer gets at least 2-3 cars in the first shipment. Do it for my sake :D Come on everyone...hope hope hope...

Thank you very, very much.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Surfer,
don't set your hopes on June 16th, a lot can happen, also as posted, this first shipment is small, so it may only be demos, BUT, they'll be shipping out cars every week now, so not too big a difference.
Chris

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
I just wanted to say that I don't think that paying a little over sticker(2,500 in my case, and I'm in the business) is a sin at all.
No one on this list would have an issue asking me for a discount on a Boxster, and I wouldn't have a problem giving you one. The Boxster has cooled as far as desirability goes but is still an awesome car in all respects. The Lotus is however white hot and arguably one of the (if not THE) best handling cars ever built, bar none, no Ferrari's excluded. Add a prancing horse to the hood and the price would triple.
If you have a problem paying a little over sticker I personally think it is like shooting yourself in the foot. You will be waiting a couple of extra months while the guys that ponied up are driving and enjoying the car. Market demand, it's what the USA is built on.
I'm on the edge of my seat but still paient.....

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
perryeyges said:
I just wanted to say that I don't think that paying a little over sticker(2,500 in my case, and I'm in the business) is a sin at all.
No one on this list would have an issue asking me for a discount on a Boxster, and I wouldn't have a problem giving you one. The Boxster has cooled as far as desirability goes but is still an awesome car in all respects. The Lotus is however white hot and arguably one of the (if not THE) best handling cars ever built, bar none, no Ferrari's excluded. Add a prancing horse to the hood and the price would triple.
If you have a problem paying a little over sticker I personally think it is like shooting yourself in the foot. You will be waiting a couple of extra months while the guys that ponied up are driving and enjoying the car. Market demand, it's what the USA is built on.
I'm on the edge of my seat but still paient.....
Offroader35's point was regarding the ethics of this particular dealer. Anybody with a car on order at that dealer is already paying $2,500 over MSRP and, if he truly is in the mid-20s, he should have already placed his order at MSRP +$2,500. Adding even more ransom and bumping some other poor sap, who has already ordered his (or her) car down into the next order group is just plain unethical.

Before placing my deposit at Newport, I obtained Andrew's assurance, in writing, that he planned to sell me the car at MSRP. At that point (also in the mid-20s), I had several options to place my deposit at other dealers at MSRP. I chose to place my deposit at Newport because of Andrew's assurances. When it came time to order, I was required to pay a surprise $2,500 or forgo ordering. I passed. With me it was the ethics of the situation, not the $2,500.

For the dealer who says right up front that they're selling at MSRP+whatever, it is clearly their right and I have no problem with that. I may choose to go elsewhere, or pay the price if there are no better alternatives or buy something else. That's what America is built on...not unethical business practices.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Sorry, my bad. I agree that a deposit should not all of a sudden become a fee or some other surprise debit.
I also think that a dealer should not be able to lower you on the list if you have on an agreed position or sequence#.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
That weekly shipment thing is a godsend for all high up on lists. Worst case-late June. Halleluyah!

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
i knew newport was a shady dealer when they stopped taking deposits and they never gave me a firm answer for most of my questions. On top of that $2500 sir charge.

I never heard of any other dealer stopping their deposit collections.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
shay2nak said:
i knew newport was a shady dealer when they stopped taking deposits and they never gave me a firm answer for most of my questions. On top of that $2500 sir charge.

I never heard of any other dealer stopping their deposit collections.
Symbolic of La Jolla, CA, stopped taking deposits around late February. They still add people to the list, but said they would only collect waiting list deposits for cars expected to be delivered within about a year from the time the deposit was taken.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
IMO, the stopping of taking deposits is a positive for how I perceive the dealer. If the dealer only wanted more cash, they would just keep taking orders.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts