The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have a problem. My temporary tags expire today and the vechilce cannot pass emissions. The port they connect to it is not connecting with the Emissions computer system and I don't know what to do.

If they plug in a code reader, it beeps as if connecting then shows Year: 2005 and reads the battery voltage level

anyone know how to fix this?

It's really quite annoying and I don't want to park the car!

Help!!!!

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Have you tried another shop? You should be able to check the emissions with a simple obd2 elm137 scanner. If it scans fine then it's their machine. If it doesn't then it's probably you.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NM testing is crap. Only run the OBD port, no actual exhaust testing. I've one shop but they had 3 code readers to test the port. Different brands and systems each time.

I'm guessing it's me? what would you guys do? I don't wanna park the car or pay a shiiiit load of money at the rip off dealership...

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,422 Posts
I would still try another shop first. Do you have the stock ECU and tune? Have you contacted the prior owner to see if anything was done to the ECU?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would still try another shop first. Do you have the stock ECU and tune? Have you contacted the prior owner to see if anything was done to the ECU?
I don't think it's stock. I have the Lotus Sport ECU. I'm not sure if that is a modification or not....

I talk to Alan all the time about the car. I just need to get something done within 2 days so I can actually drive the car legally. I didn't think it would be an issue or I would not have procrastinated on getting it done

most shops are nice and just pass the damn thing. but I guess not out here

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
im not sure if the sport ECU is approved. But your issue could stem from the ECU recall that was part of the oil line fix. Something about some of the ECUs wernt compliant from the factory.

I am not sure about the details, but a richer search here might help.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i need to find a shady testing place. This is annoying!!!

·
Registered
607 Posts
im not sure if the sport ECU is approved. But your issue could stem from the ECU recall that was part of the oil line fix. Something about some of the ECUs wernt compliant from the factory.

I am not sure about the details, but a richer search here might help.
The Sport ECU has a CARB exemption. The recall was to put the VIN number into the ECU. I have the Sport ECU. I don't know if I have to get my VIN flashed into this ECU for it to pass.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
now the city's main office or pollution and such says my car is broken...literally used that word. idiots.

I'm 2 days expired on my temporary tags...what to do.

I don't want the dealer out here to look at it because I don't want to pay 2 billion dollars for them to diagnose it then another trillion for them to "fix" it.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey guys, I think a bad Kline might be my issue .The advice I found on another forum said:

The only way you will find the problem is start unplugging modules , one at a time.Once you found the suspect module you will be able to communicate again.abs module , comfort module , radio , airbag module , door modules , cluster.Before id do that try a capacitive discharge first.It could be ANY module doing this.Look for the obvious

how exactly do you start unplugging modules? is that just removing fuses?

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
Look, don't take this the wrong way, but you have $75k+ in vehicles, and you won't go to the dealer? for $120/hr?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts