The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok before I officially become very upset I'll see if something can be done to this. I went to pick up another Elise yesterday. Its turns out that the paint in a few areas of the front clam is in pretty bad condition. To the eye you would think its fine but to the touch it is far from it. It has an odd sand feel to it. The biggest problem is that claying, waxing and anything else does absolutely nothing to fix this. You can clay, wax and it would feel like you havent done anything. Any suggestions? Does this need to be repainted?

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Ok before I officially become very upset I'll see if something can be done to this. I went to pick up another Elise yesterday. Its turns out that the paint in a few areas of the front clam is in pretty bad condition. To the eye you would think its fine but to the touch it is far from it. It has an odd sand feel to it. The biggest problem is that claying, waxing and anything else does absolutely nothing to fix this. You can clay, wax and it would feel like you havent done anything. Any suggestions? Does this need to be repainted?
Sounds like if you stop caressing the car it will be fine. Just oogle it and don't touch it.

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
This is all going to depend on how much time and effort you are willing to put into correcting the defect as well as what you actually have there for paint thickness. From your description it sounds like someone did some touch up painting with an airbrush, but never blended out the repair. First of all, what color is your car? If it is a solid color, you may have a chance at blending out the rough texture. If it is metallic and you can't stand the finish, you will need a repaint. Does the color match perfectly from the rough spot to the rest of the car? Again, if it does, you have a chance and if it doesn't, it is time to visit your favorite paint shop. If you have determined it meets the above criteria, the next thing you will need to do is to get some 2000 grit wet-or-dry sandpaper, a bucket of water, some old towels, some rubbing/polishing compound, and some elbow grease. Start with a small spot to test for paint thickness and the consistency of the rough paint. Fold up a sheet of the sandpaper so it fits into your hand well and dip it in the bucket of water. Gently, evenly, and carefully sand down the rough finish by hand until it feels smooth to your fingers and it looks uniformly dull. Do this slowly keeping the sandpaper wet at all times and flush and wipe the sanded area with the towel until you have a uniform dull spot that blends into the surrounding smooth paint. Rub down the spot with the compound on a clean terry towel and check your results. If the rough paint wasn't too thin and it was able to be blended you should have a uniform finish in color and smoothness. If the rough paint was thin or the wrong color, it will look bad. If you are satisfied with the result on the test area, you will need to do this procedure on the rest of the rough spots until you have blended all of them. This could take a lot of time depending on how bad the rough paint is and there are no guarantees as to the results. It is very easy to sand though the clear and color coats to the primer and ruin the paint. If all this seems too daunting, you will either have to live with the rough paint of have a repaint done. Defects in paint are typically hard to correct especially when you don't know the history behind the defect.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The color is chrome orange. If a spray was done then the match must have been pretty good. This car definately has more history then what I was told.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
The color is chrome orange. If a spray was done then the match must have been pretty good. This car definately has more history then what I was told.
If the defects are on the front clam I'm assuming that there's no Starshield? Is there Starshield anywhere else on the car (side sills, rear quarter)? It sounds like some detective work is in order here...

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
that's ok, you'll probably hit something soon and it'll need to be repainted. rotfl
at least that seems to be my situation....
but good luck,
sam

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the defects are on the front clam I'm assuming that there's no Starshield? Is there Starshield anywhere else on the car (side sills, rear quarter)? It sounds like some detective work is in order here...
Its higher than where the starshield is at. Its that middle lining piece in the center, the sides of that same piece, and in the sections to the left and right of the center.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Pre-delivery inspection FTW!

Sorry to hear about this paint weirdness, but glad to hear you're back in a Lotus!

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Its higher than where the starshield is at. Its that middle lining piece in the center, the sides of that same piece, and in the sections to the left and right of the center.
Hmm... interesting. When you say the sections to the left and right, do you mean the front access panels (they're separate from the clam)? It's possible it could be a factory paint defect (Lotus doesn't have the most perfect paint process), but it does sound like a repaint. Did you get a CarFax? Does the seller have anything to say about it?

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
If it's just feel and the paint looks fine. You might think about having the front clam wet sanded and polished.

Glad to hear you're back into a new Lotus

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmm... interesting. When you say the sections to the left and right, do you mean the front access panels (they're separate from the clam)? It's possible it could be a factory paint defect (Lotus doesn't have the most perfect paint process), but it does sound like a repaint. Did you get a CarFax? Does the seller have anything to say about it?
Yes the access panels I believe. The car was never titled and has a clear carfax report. The only two things were the initial import and inspection. Its a 2007 that was never titled but has 6k miles on it. Im sure anything could have happened if it was always driven by a dealer employee. But I have spoken to the dealer about this and a couple other issues with the car. I am not yet going to start throwing anyone under the bus. If things are taken care of then I will be satisfied so I wanted to make sure that I spoke with the dealership first.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yeah dont put your foot in your mouth just yet, but get to the bottom of it and make sure the problem is corrected properly.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Just like you describe, I have paint damage just before the rear tires. This is no doubt from driving on dirty roads with lots of rocks. The paint is totally damaged there. Lotus uses a water based paint, and the paint does not always chip, sometimes it leaves a crater. You would assume that the "petals" of the crater would chip off, but they dont. This leaves a very unusual feel to the touch of the surface.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts