The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the car in for some warranty work with one issue being bad radio reception. I was told it's due to aftermarket HID ballats being mounted close to the antenna which could be plausible except reception is bad all the time even when the headlights are off. What are your thoughts on this, have any of you guys with HID's experienced bad reception? They say all the antennas are properly plugged in etc.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
I get nothing. With lights on it's CD or screaming loud exhaust only.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
My HID lights don't make any difference to my reception. It sucked before, and it sucks now.

xtn

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
hold on let me check....

....yes, i do have a radio! thanks :wave:

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My reception was once perfect on all major stations then it went to crap, I don't remember if it coincided with the HID install or not. But still even with the car off and the lights off and just the radio on it shouldn't interfere should it?

·
Registered
241 Posts
HIDs are known to introduce static into a radio system when they are running. When they are off, they exhibit no symptoms of additional white noise. There isn't much that can be done about it, just part of the game...

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My radio has static and intermittent reception even when the headlights are off.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
My radio has static and intermittent reception even when the headlights are off.
but you have a 2006, so you should have day time running lights, so your lights are always on, even if the switch is not on. there is a way to disable the day time runners though.

T.J.

·
Registered
163 Posts
T.J. said:

"there is a way to disable the day time runners though"

Yep, search for Green Wire Mod. It is very easy to do.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mine has green wire mod done, no longer DRL but still static during the day when the headlights are for sure OFF. I think it's unrelated unless the ballast still put off interference when they are not directly powered on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts