The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday driving to work the temperature gauge on my elise refused to register anything on it. After some heavy traffic the gauge read 160 then flicked off again. I've seen some traffic about bad thermostats reading about 20-30 degrees cold. Has anyone else had an issue with this? How difficult of a job is it to replace?

And, would anyone happen to know the toyota part #?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Could also be a bad temp sensor. It is located on the cylinder head, rear / near the hose flanges. Usually a green colored connector, 2 pins. Try removing it and placing it into a cup of hot water with the key ON, but engine not running and see if it registers. It would also be handy to have a thermometer to compare the temp in the cup vs. the dash.

Kris

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
A couple of weeks ago my elise suffered hyperthermia with a core temp of 228 F up from 206 within a minute or so. The radiator exploded at that time (clearly should not have happened), they thought the thermostat could have been the problem, so they changed it. It doesn't really make sense to me but the problem hasn't recurred. :shrug:

·
Registered
750 Posts
Another way of knowing is to check if the radiator core is cold when the engine is hot, this is usually an indicator that the coolant is not flowing thru the radiator via the t-stat. An infrared gun helps make this test safer and easier.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, i talked to the dealer yesterday and they said a lotus tech told them that it was one of two things:
1. the coolant is low. apparently the way the temperature gauge is set up, if the coolant has any air in it the gauge will read low. weird.
2. the thermostat.

so, i went with the first approach, topped it off, and drove around for a few minutes. the car did not warm up and the gas gauge suddenly went through the floor. i filled it up and noticed i had gotten really bad mileage for the last tank, another sign of a bad thermostat. then the check engine light came on. At that point i figured i would just take it to the dealer since its only a few blocks away. i'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
well, i talked to the dealer yesterday and they said a lotus tech told them that it was one of two things:
1. the coolant is low. apparently the way the temperature gauge is set up, if the coolant has any air in it the gauge will read low. weird.
2. the thermostat.

so, i went with the first approach, topped it off, and drove around for a few minutes. the car did not warm up and the gas gauge suddenly went through the floor. i filled it up and noticed i had gotten really bad mileage for the last tank, another sign of a bad thermostat. then the check engine light came on. At that point i figured i would just take it to the dealer since its only a few blocks away. i'll keep you posted.
What was the resolution? This just happened to me.
I think I may be ordering the TRD thermostat soon.
What will happen if I drive the car like this? Hmmm for now I will stay off the boost and drive it up to see Casey.

·
Registered
888 Posts
To replace it is not too bad. I did it within 2 hours on mine equipped with a supercharge (sector).

Just remove the right wheel, and the inner fender. You will have access to the thermostat. The trouble is after, when you will try to remove the air...

·
Registered
2,591 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
In response to the OP and my post #4, the replaced thermostat worked fine for about a week then got stuck open so that when it was cool outside it would never reach normal operating temp.

I took it back to the dealer to have them replace it again and they groaned a bit because it's a lot of work to replace. Apparently you have to remove the alternator to get to it. Lotus quotes 3.5 hours of labor to do the job. I'm not sure but they may have also had to remove the rear clam to get to the alternator.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Something similar yet different

mine did not register then when it registered it took a long time to warm up.........during the 45 minute drive the temp would not go over 170........then when I got home I let it run when it reached 206 the fans kicked in and it cooled down to 182.........which is my normal operating temp.....I did check the radiator and the coolant was flowing.........do you guys think it is the sensor or the thermostat.......car has 25K on it....

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
mine did not register then when it registered it took a long time to warm up.........during the 45 minute drive the temp would not go over 170........then when I got home I let it run when it reached 206 the fans kicked in and it cooled down to 182.........which is my normal operating temp.....I did check the radiator and the coolant was flowing.........do you guys think it is the sensor or the thermostat.......car has 25K on it....
I wonder if yours could be partially stuck open.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
could be

I wonder if yours could be partially stuck open.
mine from the get go it took a good while to warm up but once it was at 182 it would hover there........unless in stop-n-go traffic then it would climb to 198 but nothing over that.........:huh:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Did you ever solve this issue? I'm having the same problem. Temperature on my '05 Elise used to run 185-205 under normal use. I first noticed the problem on a cold day, cruising on the highway. I dropped down a gear and punched the throttle, and ran into the low-temp rev limiter, despite having been driving for more than a half hour. Temperature was low out of spec. Got off the freeway, and temp moved back up into the 160s. Temperature now running between about 185 and low out of spec, depending upon how much driving at highway speed I do. Is it the sensor? Seems odd to be the thermostat, because I would think that once you're up to temp and it opens, the cooling system wouldn't drop it back below, necessitating regular cycling of the thermostat. However, it sounds like thermostat failure is a common issue with these cars.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
Did you ever solve this issue? I'm having the same problem. Temperature on my '05 Elise used to run 185-205 under normal use. I first noticed the problem on a cold day, cruising on the highway. I dropped down a gear and punched the throttle, and ran into the low-temp rev limiter, despite having been driving for more than a half hour. Temperature was low out of spec. Got off the freeway, and temp moved back up into the 160s. Temperature now running between about 185 and low out of spec, depending upon how much driving at highway speed I do. Is it the sensor? Seems odd to be the thermostat, because I would think that once you're up to temp and it opens, the cooling system wouldn't drop it back below, necessitating regular cycling of the thermostat. However, it sounds like thermostat failure is a common issue with these cars.
Exact same symtoms I had what the thermostat got stuck open.

Reactions: 2ZZGE4ME

·
Registered
43 Posts
Exact same symtoms I had what the thermostat got stuck open.
Thanks. I think this is probably the issue. I'll put a new one in and see if that solves the issue. Looks like a bit of a pain though. I think I'll take the opportunity to change the transmission oil as well when I have the belly pan off.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts