The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Bad trip to Valenti Motors, bad bill!

3K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  scottyb 
#1 ·
So I setup a test drive with Valenti Motors for Saturday (the 14th). I live in MD, but I am currently working in NY. My fiance was visting for the weekend, so I thought it would be a good trip to go up there and test drive. Three hour drive, but should be worth it.

Called Bill a week in advance to set it up. Let him know my situation (long drive, etc.) and setup a time for 1pm. Got on the road about 10:00a hit huge amounts of traffic and called Bill at 12:00p to let him know I would be about 20 minutes late.

Bill says that the Elise is blocked in by cars that were being detailed, and he doesn't have the keys and didn't have my number to call me. I hung up with him before I sayed anything I regretted (I don't swear in front of women).

Couple things that piss me off here.
1. Bill has my number, he's called me in the past.
2. I hate wasting time. I don't mind when people are disrespectful or inconsiderate, thats a problem with them. But when people waste my time, its a big deal. That's a 6-hour drive for nothing. :no:
3. No options. No, I'll call the detailer, or I tried to find the keys, or can we possibly reschedule. Just that's it, oh well. :no:
4. Valenti charges above MSRP....for what? I can get better service at a Kia lot. :no:

Needless to say, I am calling tomorrow to get my deposit back and explain the above. I'd rather wait at my local dealer then deal with this.

See less See more
#2 ·
cranium said:

Needless to say, I am calling tomorrow to get my deposit back and explain the above. I'd rather wait at my local dealer then deal with this.
Kudos to you and your principles, my hat is off to you.:clap:

#4 ·
Just wondering why you went to Valenti, as opposed to other dealers in the area (like HRM)?
I constantly travel for work, and one of the locations is New York. Valenti had a shorter list (but higher MSRP). People on this board stated that Bill was very easy to work with.

UPDATE: Just got off the phone with Bill, he was more then happy to refund my deposit, no questions asked.

#5 ·
sorry to hear about your experience. You should talk to Mark Starr at HRM which is where my deposit is- The have an excellent rep and are Lotus enthusiasts. Also, if you travel to NY they would be convenient.

By the way I have no vested interest in promoting HRM - it cannot get me my car sooner - I got the call today that my car is in port:D :D :D

#6 ·
I hope that you don't have an early number, why go to the back of the line for being treated badly at a dealership you will never patronize anyway?

#7 ·
Steve said:
I hope that you don't have an early number, why go to the back of the line for being treated badly at a dealership you will never patronize anyway?
I put down two deposits as soon as my re-location plans were not set. They still aren't set, but it looks like I'll be in MD at the time that it would arrive.

Making the switch puts me about 4-5 months behind when I would get it. Worth it to me.

#9 ·
Your dealer sucking helped that dealer out. I'm sure he'll sell your car at a mark up. He probably could care less if you don't buy from him.

Sorry to hear though.

#10 ·
Test Drive

Hey Cranium,
Call me today. I'll set up a test drive for you and take you on the ride of your life. I'll make you forget about BadBill and sell you a car. I just got our next allocation number!!! I'll be moving down that list a lot faster than I thought.......Call me at 914 939-7200..........Mark Starr:D :D :D

#11 ·
Re: Test Drive

Mark Starr said:
Hey Cranium,
Call me today. I'll set up a test drive for you and take you on the ride of your life. I'll make you forget about BadBill and sell you a car. I just got our next allocation number!!! I'll be moving down that list a lot faster than I thought.......Call me at 914 939-7200..........Mark Starr:D :D :D
Are you going to share the allocation number with the board, or just tease us?:huh: :no: ;)

#12 ·
Mark,

You are the man! I so wish that I had talked to you b4 I made my commitment. LCU really needs to examine their network and properly reward those dealers who truly support the brand.

#13 ·

Mark Starr said:
Hey Cranium,
Nice talking with you Mark, you'll make this experience a great one. Can't wait to come up and visit you in a couple weeks!

#14 ·
Mark took me for a test drive before I put down my deposit. Make sure you pack some extra underwear:D

#15 ·

Mark Starr said:
Hey Cranium,
Great news!!

:clap:

#16 ·
cranium said:
UPDATE: Just got off the phone with Bill, he was more then happy to refund my deposit, no questions asked.
The sad part is Bill probably turned around and sold your spot for more than you had paid for it. Of course he was glad to give you your money back - he stood to make money off it! In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that he was intentionally rude to you to bully you off the list.

Pretty "prestigious" peddling if you ask me.

#17 ·
Another Friend of Bad Bill R.

Bad Bill sold me a an Elise with no AC. He had a couple of weeks to get it ready for me too - no excuses.
I am going to HRM now and they're great - a bunch of car enthusiasts who happen to sell cars, instead of those reptiles at Valenti out to make a buck without providing customer service.

#18 ·
I got mine from HRM and have nothing but good things to say about Mark and the staff there...but my AC didnt work either, that stuff just happens, hopefully just a leak

#19 ·
Bought mine from Bill at Valenti too, basically because I live next door to the dealership. I've never been back there since. I drive over an hour to Greenwich to visit Mark at HRM whenever I need service. Didn't really have a bad experience with Valenti, just got a bad vibe off them and a good vibe off HRM. Keep in mind that HRM specializes in Lotus and exotics while Valenti is primarily a VW, Audi, Suzuki, Saab, Isuzu dealership.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.