The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my way home from a fellow LT'ers house. I hit the interstate on ramp and revved it up a bit. Not too much, traffic was light, I hit 100 before backing off. I see a white celica gt coming up fast behind me. I move over he passes me and then slows down to 70ish. I am still doing 80ish and start to pull along side and over take. I hear a horn and look over and this guy flashes a badge and yells to me to slow down. I nod and ease off a bit not really knowing if this guy is for real or just a 'wanna be' with a plastic shield getting his kicks. I erred on the side of caution. He exited in three miles and I resumed my 'cruise control':D

·
Registered
613 Posts
HA! Could have been a firefighter for all you know. They carry badges too. I'd be more worried if you saw him radio/phone ahead to let an on duty buddy know you were coming.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
You can always report said "officer" to the 911 dispatcher with a description of the car, the license plate number and location/direction of travel.

When I was in college there was a guy riding around the city doing just what you describe. All he ever did was flash his badge and tell people to slow down. Turns out he was not a LEO, got reported a few times and eventually was pulled over by the real LEO and got busted for impersonating an officer.

Just as a point of reference, my bother-in-law is a MI state trooper and when he's off duty he really couldn't care or less if you are speeding.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
You can always report said "officer" to the 911 dispatcher with a description of the car, the license plate number and location/direction of travel.

:up:

·
Registered
400 Posts
I would have called 911, and told them someone that looks suspiscious is attempting to pull you over and gave them a complete description. One of 2 things would have happened. They would have stopped him, found the fake badge on him and busted him for impersonating (that's a felony) or stopped him, realized he was a cop and was doing his part to protect the nice folks driving the speed limit.

·
Registered
425 Posts
many cops in the family and as friends.. yea they don't care.. most of them are just in it for a good pay trying to do as little as possible..

·
Registered
103 Posts
From what I know, cops are never actually off duty. For instance, if they see you speeding they can call an officer to pull you over and write a ticket. Even though the cop is off duty and didn't radar you, his ability to pace cars will be sufficient for another cop to write the ticket. But I couldn't tell you how well this holds up in court.

·
Stilling doing God's work
971 Posts
From what I know, cops are never actually off duty. For instance, if they see you speeding they can call an officer to pull you over and write a ticket. Even though the cop is off duty and didn't radar you, his ability to pace cars will be sufficient for another cop to write the ticket. But I couldn't tell you how well this holds up in court.
That's hearsay. Never hold up in court.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I've been called in on by cops before, all I got was a stern talking to for driving like a dick. :no:

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Could be off-duty, and/or not on traffic duty. Most cops hate traffic duty and only mess with you if you're doing something really impressive. A friend has been pulled over by detectives a few times. They just chewed him out, while making it clear they didn't normally bother with speeders, but he was over the top.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Not too much, traffic was light, I hit 100 before backing off. I see a white celica gt coming up fast behind me. I move over he passes me and then slows down to 70ish. I am still doing 80ish and start to pull along side and over take. I hear a horn and look over and this guy flashes a badge and yells to me to slow down.
You were obviously doing something wrong (by your own admission)...just be glad someone on duty didn't catch you instead. I'd say you got lucky. That said, it also makes me wonder, because I also know a cop who couldn't care less if people are speeding when he's off duty. However, calling in and saying he was trying to pull you over is not entirely true either...

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I think I got called in last week, I passed someone in Toronto doing around 200 km/h and I noticed he was trying to catch up to me and he looked like he had a moustache and was on his phone. We both got off the expressway, I made a right, and several blocks later I noticed a marked cruiser coming up behind passing traffic on the left side of the street with his lights on. I turned off onto a side street, drove around three sides of a square, parked and went for a short walk and dinner. Who knows.

·
Registered
682 Posts
You should've attempted to flash him back... but it might be difficult in a Lotus. :D

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
I think I got called in last week, I passed someone in Toronto doing around 200 km/h and I noticed he was trying to catch up to me and he looked like he had a moustache and was on his phone. We both got off the expressway, I made a right, and several blocks later I noticed a marked cruiser coming up behind passing traffic on the left side of the street with his lights on. I turned off onto a side street, drove around three sides of a square, parked and went for a short walk and dinner. Who knows.
That may have been just a concerned citizen.

I've called in probably 5 impaired drivers over the past few years. The 911 dispatcher has always asked that I call back with any updates on change of road, etc. until the officer arrives.

The officers around here respond very quickly, proceed to follow the "suspect" for awhile at a distance to witness any suspicious activity themselves, wave as they pass me and proceed to pull the driver.

I haven't seen one yet not get pulled ;) although I've been told the officer will only pull if they witness anything abnormal themselves, not just from my description...

·
Registered
103 Posts
If he has a mustache it's a good chance he was a cop

·
Registered
135 Posts
lol jaeger so true. A couple months ago a new state trooper was busted for testing out his new cruiser, a dodge charger. He was clocked by a fellow officer doing 130mph with no lights on or anything. He only got a slap on the wrist from what I heard but no longer has the new car. A celica huh didnt know they went over 100mph lol. I concure with others though. Most cops when off duty could care less unless your doing something really stupid. I know some that have sport bikes and theyve riden wheelies passed me. Being it was a celica Ive never heard of that being an unmarked cop car I probably would have done something stupid and flashed him the bird. He can radio in all he wants but unless an on duty cop catches you speeding they cant do squat. It would be his word against yours. No proof so keep criuising :) Besides he was catching up to you so he was disobeying the law more than you.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
That may have been just a concerned citizen.

I've called in probably 5 impaired drivers over the past few years. The 911 dispatcher has always asked that I call back with any updates on change of road, etc. until the officer arrives.

The officers around here respond very quickly, proceed to follow the "suspect" for awhile at a distance to witness any suspicious activity themselves, wave as they pass me and proceed to pull the driver.

I haven't seen one yet not get pulled ;) although I've been told the officer will only pull if they witness anything abnormal themselves, not just from my description...
Yeah, I know they usually follow up on it. I've called in a couple DUIs myself, one of them was in Massachusetts and the guy was driving a Toyota pickup for miles in the median of the expressway, kicking up dirt. He almost hit me when he got back on the road. I never managed to get his plate # because the more I slowed down, the more he did until we were both doing 15 mph in the right lane. I probably should have pulled over and waited for him to pass.

On one of my early business trips to Canada, I got called in by no less than four different people on a 40 mile journey on the fabled 407 ETR. I was driving my Elise at basically its upper limit for the entire trip, but never passing on the right, weaving, or violating any other laws to my knowledge. There were two OPP officers waiting for me at a weigh station, one of them got in front of me, one behind me. They never got me on radar because I was worried that there would be a cop at the weigh station and had already slowed down. They kept me for about 45 minutes and let me off with a verbal warning.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Just as a point of reference, my bother-in-law is a MI state trooper and when he's off duty he really couldn't care or less if you are speeding.
Reading this reminds me of a funny incident.

My brother was a city cop in Southern California. We were driving down the freeway (he was off-duty in his personal car) in some heavy traffic. Four guys in the car to our right were passing a joint around, and noticed me noticing them. So being the friendly sort, the driver reached the joint out the window and offered me some. I nudged my brother, and he saw what was going on. Then he passed me his badge so I could show the friendly driver/pot smoker. I've never seen four guys look more surprised and panicky. :crazyeyes:panic:

They immediately changed lanes and took the off-ramp that was coming up. My brother and I laughed the rest of the trip... rotfl

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I nudged my brother, and he saw what was going on. Then he passed me his badge so I could show the friendly driver/pot smoker. I've never seen four guys look more surprised and panicky. :crazyeyes:panic:

They immediately changed lanes and took the off-ramp that was coming up. My brother and I laughed the rest of the trip... rotfl
Now that is funny.rotfl

1 - 20 of 41 Posts