The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I'm new to Lotus Talk and this is my first thread. I currently own a black 1991 Acura NSX but I drove a friend's Elise recently and I am hooked. The Elise really appeals to the minimalist in me so I'm in the process of selling my NSX in preparation for funding an 05/06 Elise purchase. So, I have a few questions to ask so here goes:

1. What is a Sport Package? What is a Touring Package?

2. What badges come stock? I like the Yellow Lotus badge on front and the chrome letters spelling Lotus on the back so if I buy an Elise that has different badges are they easy to replace and how is this done?

3. What is a stage 2 exhaust and is this a Lotus part or an aftermarket part?

4. Are the wheels specific to certain years? I really like the seven spoke wheels with the slit down the middle of each of the spokes. Additionally, I like silver wheels and I notice that a lot of the cars for sale have black powder coated wheels as it seems to be the trend. Could I expect that it would be pretty easy to get someone to trade their silver wheels for the black ones here on Lotus Talk? I also like the black interior and notice that a lot of the silver, Titanium and Graphite (my preferred colors) usually have the red interior and wonder if it would be an easy trade for the interior as well?

I appreciate any replies to my questions and anything else you all may add to help steer my decision.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Sorry to be this guy, but let's get you started on the right track early:

1-4. Go to Google , type "site: Lotus Forum - Lotus Talk [insert search term here] ". Then hit search. This will narrow down the responses and you won't get flamed. Enjoy, and hope you get a Lotus soon.

Hi All, I'm new to Lotus Talk and this is my first thread. I currently own a black 1991 Acura NSX but I drove a friend's Elise recently and I am hooked. The Elise really appeals to the minimalist in me so I'm in the process of selling my NSX in preparation for funding an 05/06 Elise purchase. So, I have a few questions to ask so here goes:

1. What is a Sport Package? What is a Touring Package?

2. What badges come stock? I like the Yellow Lotus badge on front and the chrome letters spelling Lotus on the back so if I buy an Elise that has different badges are they easy to replace and how is this done?

3. What is a stage 2 exhaust and is this a Lotus part or an aftermarket part?

4. Are the wheels specific to certain years? I really like the seven spoke wheels with the slit down the middle of each of the spokes. Additionally, I like silver wheels and I notice that a lot of the cars for sale have black powder coated wheels as it seems to be the trend. Could I expect that it would be pretty easy to get someone to trade their silver wheels for the black ones here on Lotus Talk? I also like the black interior and notice that a lot of the silver, Titanium and Graphite (my preferred colors) usually have the red interior and wonder if it would be an easy trade for the interior as well?

I appreciate any replies to my questions and anything else you all may add to help steer my decision.

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
Not sure I'd sell the NSX. It has held it's value so well over the years. I will say the Exige is the only vehicle I've ever owned that has appreciated in value.

San

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Agree with San. I wouldn't sell the NSX. If I were in your shoes I'd keep the NSX and save for a bit longer to get the Elise.

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
I think they're very similar. Concentrated on weight reduction, handling and a decent motor. They're both good looking cars as well.

San

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Coyne, I appreciate your direct reply. I'm not new to searching for things all by myself on the internet but as long as I've been doing it I never seem to get any better at it. I think it comes from asking questions that seem to be a little different than what other people ask. I guess I've just got a different brain than everyone else and I am a perfectionist. That equates to restlessness when I ask the internet for something and get a million responses to read through that never seem to address my exact question. But, I took your advice and pretty quickly had an answer for question #1... the other questions did not get a satisfactory answer (just as I expected) based on your advice which is why I just asked the questions here in the first place. I'm dumb this way and I know it but does that preclude me from qualifying for any standard that will entitle me to be included in the sharing of information here on this site? I wish I could see the world as black and white as the rest but I'm just not wired that way. Sorry to be such a pain in the azz and would appreciate your expertise. Thanks for welcoming me to the forum and I hope to be running with the big dawgs in my own Elise soon.

As for the NSX, yes, you guys are right, they are going up in value... I plan on paying for the Elise and putting some money in my pocket after selling the NSX. Do y'all think I'm crazy?

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'll bite:

2. Yellow badge is stock with raised chrome letters coming on the back of the 06+ Elise (iirc). It's not hard to change out the badges if that is your thing.

3. Lotus part

4. Get the sport/track package and the split spokes you are speaking of should come with the car unless a previous owner has upgraded them already (not many cheap updates in comparison to their weight). Most people seem to like black so you shouldn't have a hard time trading the black versions for silver.

Trading out the red interior for black would be harder in my opinion. Not saying it can't be done.

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
As for the NSX, yes, you guys are right, they are going up in value... I plan on paying for the Elise and putting some money in my pocket after selling the NSX. Do y'all think I'm crazy?
I didn't say the NSX prices are going up, I stated the value has held up nicely over time. The Elise/Exige prices have gone up considerably in the last few years for much the same reason, you can't buy them new anymore.

Unless you have a very compelling reason to sell the NSX I'd think twice about it. If I had room in my garage I'd consider an NSX, but then I'd need to make it more powerful.

San

·
Registered
945 Posts
I'll bite:

2. Yellow badge is stock with raised chrome letters coming on the back of the 06+ Elise (iirc). It's not hard to change out the badges if that is your thing.

3. Lotus part

4. Get the sport/track package and the split spokes you are speaking of should come with the car unless a previous owner has upgraded them already (not many cheap updates in comparison to their weight). Most people seem to like black so you shouldn't have a hard time trading the black versions for silver.

Trading out the red interior for black would be harder in my opinion. Not saying it can't be done.
A few additions:

2. This actually changed to raised plastic (from the stickers) in '07. Beyond that, the Elise gets an "Elise" sticker on the lower-right of the rear, and that's about it for badges. The Exige got cool S badges on the side for the S version. Easy to replace regardless - it's just stickers or stick-on plastic.

3) Yes - Lotus part, made by Janspeed. Louder, bigger tips, lighter.

4) They're called "LSS Wheels" so you can search for them. The other OEM styles are: Stock 8-spoke cast wheels, "Euro" Y-Spoke cast wheels (both heavy, they're cast), and Lotus Sport / Cup forged wheels (5 wider spokes, beautiful and $$$$).

As for the interior, the only difference is seats and door panels. Door panels are a few fasteners and some Velcro, and seats are 5 bolts each (4 fasten to chassis, 1 seatbelt). The hardest part of a trade would be shipping the seats.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
It's not a problem that you are looking for specific answers. I simply shared a ubiquitous research source that has helped me many times when it comes to my car, as opposed to relying on the "expertise" of others. Plus, I figured I would say it nicely, instead of someone saying it grumpily.
The überpost San linked is a great resource. There are many on here for each area. Searching through google is an easy way to wade through the minutiae to get the answers you want.

Don't listen to everyone. Go buy a Lotus and pocket the cash (for upgrades).

·
2006 Exige
751 Posts
Welcome to lotustalk!

Go for it. I like your plan to sell the NSX in order to purchase an Elise. They are both great driver's cars, but it will be a fun change. Both will likely hold their value pretty well over the next few years.

If I was buying, I would look for one with the sport and touring packages.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK fellas, thanks for these great answers. An additional question about the seats: Do the seat covers not come off to swap instead of having to ship a whole seat?

I saw some close ups of the black badges and I have changed my mind at least for the front badge. I think I'd like to go for the black ABCC front badge with the chrome LOTUS letters across the back. Sounds like they are just stuck on with some adhesive and easy to change... but I digress. I still have to sell an NSX and buy an Elise.

Thanks again gents.

·
2006 Exige
751 Posts
I think I'd like to go for the black ABCC front badge with the chrome LOTUS letters across the back. Sounds like they are just stuck on with some adhesive and easy to change.
Don't buy or pass on an Elise because of the badges it has. You are right - they are an easy swap.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Of course not. The main thing is to always keep the main thing the main thing!.. and the main thing is to get the color I want for the price I want. The wheels, interior, badges and options are of very little concern. I'm looking for a bone stock Elise preferably.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
You can probably get the seat skins but i believe you have to glue them on the carbon fiber seat frame. I want this seat skin but noone seems to know how to get it for me locally :(

·
Registered
676 Posts
4) They're called "LSS Wheels" so you can search for them. The other OEM styles are: Stock 7-spoke cast wheels, "Euro" Y-Spoke cast wheels (both heavy, they're cast), and Lotus Sport / Cup forged wheels (5 wider spokes, beautiful and $$.
Just want to correct the above....LSS wheels are split 7 spoke, and base wheels are 8 spoke.

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
Seat cover? We don't need no stinking seat cover.

Front badge? Black for me.

San

1 - 20 of 25 Posts