The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just what the title says.

About the 2nd time I've used a public parking lot Someody has hit the door hard with their door. I didn't see the damage at the time, but I'm pretty sure is was a BMW X5 that was parked next to mine when I returned. (when I left the car it was 6 spaces away from the next car)

So I'm pissed, but the real issue is what to do about the damaged paint. There's a mark about 3/4" by 1/4". Does anyone know if dealers have touch up sticks yet? and if they did how would I go about using it on a metalic colour to make is as invisible as possible? My one previous touch up on such paint wound up being visible from space.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
are you sure it was the X5? Next time keep a sharp object in the car and ding them back. That is bullsh*t. The Elise is narrow, on purpose they hit your car. jealous assh*les.

As far as the paint maybe Lotus has touch up paint or something. Check with Silver Star. By the way I didn't see their demo when I drove by yesterday.

next time take two parking spots.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was in a premium underground parking lot ($5 at 3rd street) it didn't even cross my mind that someone would park next to it like that.

I may stop by Silver star on the way home tonight.

Steve

·
Registered
442 Posts
The dealers should have touch-up paint from their original Elise-parts-starter kit that Lotus made them buy. I already had to pick up the stick for mine.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
i would assume your dealer should have or at least can order some touchup paint for you.

what parking lot was it? I live on 3rd St.

-Steve

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Any time I try to park my car far away from other cars in nearly empty parking lots, it seems like I come out with SUVs or rusted out beaters 1" from each side of my car with 30 empty spots on either side

I doubt I'll ever park the Elise in a public lot...

:mad:

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Dealers do have touch-up but it varies from dealer to dealer what colors they have in stock. I ordered Lazer Blue for my car and was told 4-6 weeks!

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I used to make fun of people who used two parking spots but I admittedly have done it at least once since having the car.

If someone messed up my paint with their door I'd just have to kill them. That is all. :p

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
lol, I just saw that you said your previous attempts at touch up could be seen from space.

I suck at it too. Most dealerships have touch up guys who do this all day long and are pretty good. Some of them even have special whispy brushes that make it much easier to apply without big blobs or dabs. It may be worth contacting some local dealerships and ask about their touch up guy. My husband works for Volvo, and the local dealer has a great guy who goes from dealer to dealer touches up cars.
I had some UGLY door dings on my miata and I tried to touch it up and it looked like Frankenstein did it. He came to our house, cleaned up the area I managed to mess up and made it almost invisible. He used a brush that was very light looking and whispy ( yeah I keep using that word dont I) he used a very light touch and it went on flawlessly.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Funny story ( at least to me it is). Last summer I when I was doing the weather forecast for some reason I started using the word "steamy". I started saying its going to be a "hot/ steamy" day. My producer didnt like that term. I'm sorry...steamy is a common term in the south. Hot and HUMID. STEAMY. lol. So anyway she told me stop saying Steamy. I told the afternoon and evening guys on the staff so they all made a point of saying its going to be STEAMY today..really really STEAMY. Drove her nuts.

:clap:

Good times.

Now back to the regularly scheduled thread.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Steve W said:
Anybody have any advice on how to do the touchup?
I would ask the dealer to do it...

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
I have a hard time suggesting to anyone to take 2 spots. I've seen more cars keyed from being parked in 2 spots than I can remember. All it takes is to have some A-hole get pissed off cuz you're parked in 2 slots and you've got a BIG problem and LOTS of grief.

Just my 2c...

Kiyoshi

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I agree with PatrickO and OneFast, have it done professionally, touch-up on metallic paint jobs is not at all easy to do well. I've tried, on my silver Miata, and it never seems to come out quite right. I've tried a product called Langka, which is supposed to make the job better/more professional, but my results were just so-so.

Sorry to hear about the damage.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Any time I try to park my car far away from other cars in nearly empty parking lots, it seems like I come out with SUVs or rusted out beaters 1" from each side of my car with 30 empty spots on either side
It's kinda like when you go in to the john, and there are like 10 stalls open and some dude comes and takes the one right next to you.:no:

100 posts!! Woohoo!!

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
For touch up try a body shop. Mine does a pretty good job. Had them touch up some edges for work they did on another car. Even took care of some stone chips on the front end- all for no charge.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
mikester said:
I've tried a product called Langka, which is supposed to make the job better/more professional, but my results were just so-so.
I'll second that. I kicked down the bucks for the Lanka stuff to repair some paint scraping, and I can't say it did much. It's just a solvent for touch-up paint with a mild abrasive in it, as far as I can tell.

The metallic touch-up paints are really bizzare, at least the two I've used. The metallic flake is in some kind of gloss suspension and settles into multiple layers. The Lanka just took off the gloss coating and left it looking all drab and shallow.

If I cared more, I'd hire a pro. Getting it fixed would just ensure a bigger ding hit it sooner...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts