The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like some help on the removal of the ball joint on the upper A arm. My rubber cover is leaking and I need to replace the ball joint. I have the front suspension apart but cannot seem to get the ball joint out of the the A arm. Is there a trick to its removal?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Eliseparts.com has a tool, but I've never used it. They're very good about answering emails if you want to know more.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ball joint

Maybe I did not make my question clear. I have already seperated the ball joint from the steering arm now I need to know how to get the ball joint out of the A arm.

Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Is your car out of warranty? I had the same issue and Lotus paid for the replacement of the ball joint.

This is covered in the service manual section CI which say the joints "may be replaced if necessary using a suitable press". Looks like you need an arbor press to replace the joints.

Marc

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Maybe I did not make my question clear. I have already seperated the ball joint from the steering arm now I need to know how to get the ball joint out of the A arm.

Thanks
I think I understood your question, that's the tool that Eliseparts.com sells:

http://www.eliseparts.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=130_143&products_id=518
http://www.eliseparts.com/pdf/ball_joint_removal_tool.pdf

Maybe with the right size sockets and a vise you could do it?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Yup.. You can either leave the wishbone attached to the car and use a tool like the one sold by Eliseparts (and I think sometimes they pop up on Ebay).

Or if you want to make one yourself I'll attach a drawing (metric sizes though..) to this message..

Or you can remove the wishbone from the car and use a hydraulic press to press the balljoint out and a new one in.

Bye, Arno.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts

Thanks
You just need to replace the rubber boot, not the ball joint unless the joint is bad. There is a spring band on top of the boot. Taking that spring off so you can remove the boot, adding new boot, adding grease, roll in the spring band, done.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
You just need to replace the rubber boot, not the ball joint unless the joint is bad. There is a spring band on top of the boot. Taking that spring off so you can remove the boot, adding new boot, adding grease, roll in the spring band, done.

Agreed, but that can be tricky not to mention messy. For the cost of the new ball joint I usually just replace the whole thing.:D

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Are there any tricks to removing the lower ball joint front spindle/lower arm? I've got several ball joint tools, but none work in this condition. I want to remove it so I can mill for more neg camber.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the responses. My ball joint is not bad just the rubber boot is torn. Can the boot be replaced and I gather from the responses it can. Is there a part number or ball joint part number (Chevette)that is a correct replacement. I really dont want to call the dealer for the part if I can do something else.

Your answeres have been very helpful
Thanks again

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
vonquik, how did you separate the ball joint from the steering arm? I'm going to have to do that soon.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I used a Ball Joint Seperator which I purchased from NAPA. It is part number 775-9096 and the cost was $20 and change. NAPA did not have it in stock but got it in one day. Once I got it to fit they came off in 10 minutes. I had to modify the inside edges of the fork for more clearance which I did with a grinder and a fiber wheel. Once I got it so that it just slipped over the ball joint I used a 1/2 inch drive breaker bar and some muscle and they came right off.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
OK, thanks.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Here you go

Lotus uses the same for upper and lower.

Moog Front Ball Joint
1976-1987 Chevrolet ChevetteBall Joint, 2 Per Car, High Quality Original Equipment Replacement
Fits: FRONT Suspension, Lower.
Low Price Guarantee

FITS (ENGINE/CHASSIS) SKU PRICE QTY
1976-1987 Chevrolet Chevette MOK6273 $34.19

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Just be careful of the dimensions..

In europe we have noticed that some suppliers sell balljoints that are a little over-sized (about 1 to 2mm) and you can't press them into the wishbone. Still have the correct type/part number though.. And sometimes you get 8 and 3 are OK , but 5 are too big..

Also there are some brands/batches that were extremely tight. So much so that the steering would become heavy and not loosen up in time.

Some reports of incorrect taper on the balljoint shaft have also surfaced.

So yes.. They are Chevette balljoints, but check any new ones for proper size and fitment when you get them from a regular car parts store. I'm currently using DELPHI ones and they seem to be doing fine.

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Friends, I'm having a bear of a time getting the front upper wishbone to separate from the steering arm. I've already broken the special tool that I ordered from Elise Shop... I've noticed that it is VERY difficult for me to get the splitter (the one that broke) into a good position to separate the parts. Please share with me what you think is the best tool for this job? Or could it be that my technique is wrong?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts