The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the non-lined soft top and was wondering how much does it balloon at freeway speed.

Does anyone have a picture of how it looks?

The reason is that at a stop light, the soft top rest on the bows then as I pickup speed, it flaps a little, then at freeway speed, it balloon tight and doesn't touch the bows at all.

The soft top is tight and about a good 1/2-3/4 inch above the bows.

Is this normal? I keep thinking of the old domestic convertibles where the entire soft top would balloon up like a hematoba. lol..

Tim

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is normal. Mine does it also.
Thanks for the reply.

I'm really curious to know how it looks.

Is there anyone who has moddified the soft top so it won't balloon?

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
you will find that ALL, yes even your S2K, soft tops balloon to some extent.

because of the way we put our top on, they cant make the material super tight to keep this to a minimum.

Be happy with our tops.

Giles in his S1 Elise is speed limited with the top on, so he only uses it in rain.

The Porsche Boxter Spyder is limited to something like 80mph.

The ballooning is just telling you that you should take to top off and enjoy the view.

·
give me my second cam!
438 Posts
I remember seeing 911 targas do the same thing at speed on the freeway. That is before they re-designed the targa to a sliding glass set up. To be fair I cant say if they did that from day one or if it was a design flaw or not and wear and tear would make it happen

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Don't have the soft top on often but when I do it's more due to weather or longer freeway drives. Having the windows up or just cracked open a bit will help. Never really notice it as an issue for me. Suppose you could double check that the wire guides (front and back) seem reasonable tight in the the slots.TADTS :UK:

·
Super Moderator
6,817 Posts
Thats a lot more noticeable on the unlined tops. Now that you posted this I remember it from my original car with the unlined top, but have never noticed it with the lined top.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm pretty sure both lined and unlined would balloon the same. I'm just able to see the gap between the outer liner and the bows.

Does the liner maintain contact with the bows at freeway speeds?

I'm thinking even if the liner is touching the bows, the outer layer is still ballooning.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
I have the lined softtop and I have never noticed this.

If you can adjust the tension in the front and rear cables that might help.

Once my front cable came undone and the front of the softtop lifted off the car a little bit, maybe 1/2 inch. Once I found the cable and fixed it everything was OK again.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Marc, sorry for stealing your pict, but if I were Adrian Newey I swear that that profile is telling me something.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts