The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know pricing these cars is a bit tricky but I'm trying to get a sense of what is reasonable for a given year. Recently two cars have come up for sale that have left me scratching my head somewhat:

1. http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/fs-2008-lotus-elise-touring-2-000-miles-120214/ $45,950

2. http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f259/under-priced-2011-sc-w-700-mi-120030/ $45,000

Is (was) the '08 simply over priced and the '11 under priced? However, if the '08 pricing is in the right ballpark what should a similar, lower milage '06 or '07 go for?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
08 is overpriced, quite a bit, esp since it isn't S/C. 11 is definitely underpriced

·
Premium Member
5,193 Posts
08 is overpriced, quite a bit, esp since it isn't S/C. 11 is definitely underpriced
I agree on both parts. You should look at Notorious's 2009 purist edition. Less than 10K miles, still under warrantee, for $39K. Very nice Elise with upgrades and priced right!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Notorious's car is a good deal and I'd be all over it if it were red or yellow. :) (And ideally I'd like to find one closer to me that I could inspect in person without having to fly halfway across the country.) I've been eyeing this one but even with the low miles and hardtop seems to be overpriced...

·
Premium Member
5,193 Posts
Notorious's car is a good deal and I'd be all over it if it were red or yellow. :) (And ideally I'd like to find one closer to me that I could inspect in person without having to fly halfway across the country.) I've been eyeing this one but even with the low miles and hardtop seems to be overpriced...
That one looks sweet. Where are you located?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Good luck figuring out this market. I excel at buying / collecting cars, but the Elise has been a hard one to nail down. Repairs, mods, both good and bad, and *?* maintenance practices make these hard cars to categorize and price.

THEN, you factor in the cam wear / cam failure issues, oil line and syncro issues, and you have a big $30k ish question mark.

Some cars have been really clean and well priced, and yet sit on the market unsold.

Other have broken parts, front and rear damage, 30k++ miles, and the sellers want $30k+ + for them.

Color seems to matter big time.

I love the supercharged silver car thats for sale in the ads right now. But I think I really want a krypton green car, and they seem to be hard to find when you are looking.

I know 3 that have sold on the east coast in the last 4 months or so , but I was not looking then. ( dammit)

Good luck in your search, please share with the rest of us, as winter is our driving season here in GA, when the North is getting that cold sticky white stuff.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I agree, the Elise market is hard to follow.

I posted that underpriced 11 SC, Guppy bought it though. Some on that thread said it was an OK deal, but I disagree completely. I think the 2011s are being undersold simply because a BB value (as far as I can find) cant be found anywhere on the internet. They still have 1-2 years warranty left, you can't beat that. I got my 2011 SC for $40k while at the same time was looking at the local dealer selling a 2011 SC for $65k. I know thats overpriced, but even if they settled half way between my price and theirs its still $52.5k which is probably much closer to what they actually got.

Look, I got the original window sticker for my car. It says $52 (approx) MSRP and $62k (approx) with all options on it. Theres no way if a 2005 can sell for $30k that a 2011 is worth $40k or even $45k. If I were to sell mine right now, theres no way I'd take less than $50k, probably aim for $52.5k - $55k.

·
Registered
561 Posts
IMO - The market is hard to follow due the low production numbers.

I've been following Series 1, 1.5 & 2 XKE roadsters for a while now and can easily peg a price for them due to the consistent amount available...very high production numbers for a "classic" collectible.

In general, CMP's range is accurate for a typical used Elise (either 2+ owners or over 10k mi).

This comes down to finding the right car for you, rather than price. I would suggest paying over the average if it's a car that fits your unique criteria. If you just want to own an Elise then use CMP's range, and don't pay dealer premiums.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Good luck figuring out this market. I excel at buying / collecting cars, but the Elise has been a hard one to nail down. Repairs, mods, both good and bad, and *?* maintenance practices make these hard cars to categorize and price.

THEN, you factor in the cam wear / cam failure issues, oil line and syncro issues, and you have a big $30k ish question mark.

Some cars have been really clean and well priced, and yet sit on the market unsold.

Other have broken parts, front and rear damage, 30k++ miles, and the sellers want $30k+ + for them.

Color seems to matter big time.

I love the supercharged silver car thats for sale in the ads right now. But I think I really want a krypton green car, and they seem to be hard to find when you are looking.

I know 3 that have sold on the east coast in the last 4 months or so , but I was not looking then. ( dammit)

Good luck in your search, please share with the rest of us, as winter is our driving season here in GA, when the North is getting that cold sticky white stuff.
There's a krypton green for sale in Toronto at Shift Motors.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I agree, the Elise market is hard to follow.

I posted that underpriced 11 SC, Guppy bought it though. Some on that thread said it was an OK deal, but I disagree completely. I think the 2011s are being undersold simply because a BB value (as far as I can find) cant be found anywhere on the internet. They still have 1-2 years warranty left, you can't beat that. I got my 2011 SC for $40k while at the same time was looking at the local dealer selling a 2011 SC for $65k. I know thats overpriced, but even if they settled half way between my price and theirs its still $52.5k which is probably much closer to what they actually got.

Look, I got the original window sticker for my car. It says $52 (approx) MSRP and $62k (approx) with all options on it. Theres no way if a 2005 can sell for $30k that a 2011 is worth $40k or even $45k. If I were to sell mine right now, theres no way I'd take less than $50k, probably aim for $52.5k - $55k.
How the ^%#^><?>%< did you pay $40K for a 2011 SC ?!?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts