The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving down the road and all of a sudden - BANG! A loud bang came from the left front of the car. I thought I ran over a rock and it hit the wheel well. So after a few more minutes of driving and not really thinking about the noise anymore, the left turn indicator popped out.

I pulled over to look at the turn indicator. It turns out the turn indicator assembly front clip AND the tab molded into the clam that engages the clip were broken off - Nooooooo!!!!!!

When I finished crying (several hours later) I realized I could fix the problem - I hope...

The clam tab broke off cleanly and can be put back in place without any large gaps. Should I epoxy the tab back in place or is there a better way to repair it?

Let me know the best way to fix this without taking the front clam off (if possible).

Thanks in advance.

Dave :(

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
If the bungee is holding the turn signal in place I wouldn't bother personally with the tab. I would, however, stick it in a labelled box in the basement just in case any future owner of my car ever wanted ALL of the original bits...

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the bungee is holding the turn signal in place I wouldn't bother personally with the tab. I would, however, stick it in a labelled box in the basement just in case any future owner of my car ever wanted ALL of the original bits...
Here's the broken piece of clam... Here's the broken plastic wheel well liner... Here's the scratched up door sills... rotfl

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
Doesn't ANYONE READ anymore ????? Especially BEFORE they buy an Elise.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Used 2 light springs in tandem to hold mine down. Mechanic at Lotus dealer was mildly impressed. Thanks to lotustalk for letting me know this would happen someday. It made it a lot easier to laugh it off when it happened instead of stressing. And out Lotus was a proper British car on the Rolling British Car Day event we were on when it happened.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Doesn't ANYONE READ anymore ????? Especially BEFORE they buy an Elise.
You guys are mean :(

I'm going to take my ball and go home :mad:

Okay - I'm new here and I took delivery of my Elise about 3 weeks ago. Not all of us know everything about everything :confused:

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
The clip mechanism on the 2009 and later cars is more substantial than on the original cars. Internally a large rubber O-ring and a metal spring hold hings in place too.

As long as it looks good from the outside no one will ever know what's inside. So just use something that will secure the fixture in place and, as was stated above, put the rest of the parts away in the spare parts bin.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I think you guys are a bit hard

Read Read Read...............

Some just want to drive their car, not read sh!t loads of post to find out what might happen.

Does anyone know how big this forum is?? It's not that easy to find a fix always, if you don't use the right keyword on the search.

Also members like to have clever titles that don't really reflect the thread (like this one)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think you guys are a bit hard

Read Read Read...............

Some just want to drive their car, not read sh!t loads of post to find out what might happen.

Does anyone know how big this forum is?? It's not that easy to find a fix always, if you don't use the right keyword on the search.

Also members like to have clever titles that don't really reflect the thread (like this one)
Sorry about the thread title :(

Now, does anyone know if epoxy will work to fix the broken clam piece or do I need to use fiberglass?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts