The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Purchased a house with a Europa twin 1973 with 6k original miles on it in the garage. Am I better off getting her going or sell as is ? I know nothing about these cars.

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts
I know nothing about these, but it looks awfully clean (so to speak).

San

·
Registered
562 Posts
sell as is when was the last time it was registered?

·
Registered
562 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Take a fresh battery and power it up to see if Prince of Darkness (Lucas) has visited upon this vehicle. I would worry more about rats and other vermin infesting barn car than the engine internals. Oh, you'll probably need to refresh the fuel too! A couple of shots of starter spray into the carbs might help as well. Better to know what you have than let the buyer tell you what is wrong.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Pump up the tires, change the fluids, get it running and if you can register it then drive it. The only issue you'll have is you're gonna love driving it, once you do you'll be hooked. Most other cars will seem boring and you will be a Lotus fan for life. Happened to a lot of us. Welcome to the club.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Here you go:

There’s a good graph of value on there. A project car Just sold for $12K. A lot of running cars are in the $20-$27K range and some exceptional cars are in the high $30s.

What’s a bit odd is that those wheels look like S1 wheels; that year and model should have the normal Europa wheels.

If you want to sell it as is I’ll make you an offer. I’m looking for a project.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Here you go:

There’s a good graph of value on there. A project car Just sold for $12K. A lot of running cars are in the $20-$27K range and some exceptional cars are in the high $30s.

What’s a bit odd is that those wheels look like S1 wheels; that year and model should have the normal Europa wheels.

If you want to sell it as is I’ll make you an offer. I’m looking for a project.
way off on values theres examples around 8k for sale ,30s are for concours condition special editions

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts
Hey Purchased a house with a Europa twin 1973 with 6k original miles on it in the garage. Am I better off getting her going or sell as is ? I know nothing about these cars.
You nothing about these cars, but you do know cars in general?

I have no dog in this fight, but I'd let Tpup make you an offer. What do you to lose, aside from some barn/garage space? It's not exactly a seller's market right now, nor is it likely to be for some time.

San

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Wow, nice time capsule. It has great bones if the shock towers are not rusted. Body and interior look pretty good. It likely got parked because it needed a water pump which is between the front of the engine and the firewall and just enough room to change it with great difficulty. They are one of the nicer GT cars of the period, awesome handling and driveability.

There is a Europa specific forum if you haven't found it yet...

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
You can try posting on the Europa list. I'm certain they can help with value and details about the car. [email][email protected][/email] | Topics

If I had to guess, the wheels are the stock steel wheels for the standard Twin Cam Europa. It's likely that it has a 4 speed box. The TC Specials had the alloy wheels and a 5 spd box. Before trying to start it change the fluids, remove the plugs and turn the engine over by hand. If all is right then spin the engine with the starter until you see oil pressure.

Cheers and good luck!
Kiyoshi

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
As Kiyoshi said, pull the plugs and hand crank If you want to see if the engine turns.

I just finished a three year frame off restoration on a less than 6K mile ‘72 Europa. And I just sold it (I do Lotus restorations as a hobby).

My humble advise (if you don’t want to restore the car on your own) is to sell it as is. Once you start trying to “fix things” it’s a slippery slope and one thing leads to another. These cars were left parked never to run again for a whole variety of reasons. Mainly because they required an absurd amount of maintenance. And twin cam engines are expensive to rebuild. 352 Transaxles (4 speed) are unavailable and some parts equally so.

All that being said, my Europa TC was such a great driving sports car. It really is a race car that is street legal.

Post your pictures and sell it on Lotus Europa Community - Index. Those guys know what they are talking about.

Where are you located? I see the car has PA plates on it.

Reactions: BondoRobert
1 - 20 of 43 Posts