The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, looking for some help. Curious if anyone knows where might i find a new diagnostic computer to check codes on my new ride? I tried to order one online two months ago and the Dude says it is still on back order. ( I slow boat from china i guess, so i cancelled the order.) I haven't driven the car since the oil pressure Tell Tale light started flickering. I did change the oil and filter after taking ownership. It was flickering after a weekend of driving put on about 500 miles before the issue presented itself. Just getting used to the car i originally thought it might have been a short somewhere because it only happened to flicker when i applied the brakes. Since then i have run it around the block a few times the light glows solid now. Thinking maybe i need to replace the filter again? Any other possible obstructions that could cause a drop in oil pressure or could it be a faulty sensor? It seems to run out fine, no unusual sounds. The car has sat for about 8 years until i purchased a few months ago. She only has like 9k miles on her. I also have a engine light on and why i want the computer to hook up to her. My traditional Snap-on unit doesn't display any codes, i can clear it but it returns. I think it is a O2 sensor, but again not certain. Think the guy clogged up the cats by running her at idle up to operating temperature then shutting her back off over the years. Not to mention he obviously put a ton of stabil in the tank to keep the gas alive. I already changed the High and Low volume fuel pumps and tried to get all the old fuel out of the tank, then ran a few tanks of gas thru her with octane booster and injector cleaner. She has steadily gotten smoother and smoother at idle and under acceleration. Lastly, she is now showing signs of hard starting 5-7 seconds before firing ( whether hot or Cold) thinking crank sensor.

Anyhow until i get a computer on her to hear what she wants to tell me i am just assuming. Any insight with any of these issues would be greatly appreciated. :shrug:

·
Registered
136 Posts
As for direct esprit experience i cant be of much help. But what i can tell is....It should be generic obd2 so any scanner can point you in the direction although it wont be very detailed. Sounds like it's time to get a mechanical oil pressure gauge and set it up, although in my experience it's almost always the 20$ sending unit rather than the oil pump specially in something so low mileage. You mentioned the fuel pumps but no filter - definitely a good idea as well. I doubt the cats would clog up from allowing to warm up but anything is possible, clogged cats are usually indicated with lack of performance issues. Check over everything closely to see if it has any rodent or critter damage to wiring. rats like the taste of wire shielding.

other things to do would be bleed brake and clutch system. that fluid is only rated for about 2yrs regardless of mileage. coolant depending on what kind lotus uses is typically rated for 3yrs, newer stuff can be 10/15yr.

good luck man.

·
Super Moderator
4,051 Posts
Welcome!

If you post pics and last 4 digits of the VIN, someone might recognize the car and perhaps give you additional information.

Note that if you haven't checked out the various posts, the Esprit doesn't respond well to long term postponement of maintenance services (e.g. change fluids, rubber belts, especially timing belt, etc.). And the myriad of check engine lights only underscores this issue.

While it makes sense to diagnose those codes, i'd be real nervous about revving that expensive V8 engine that most like has its original 2000 timing belt(s) (14 years old). Since it was not maintained regularly, you'll have to assume that unless presented with proof otherwise. There can be other problems, but I'd highly recommend keeping the revs down while checking the codes out. Others will recommend towing the car and getting the belts fixed ASAP; your call. Regardless, proceed with caution; while that oil sender could be bad, I wouldn't bet drivingin on 5 PSI reading until you confirm with a mechanical or 2nd gauge that it has oil pressure.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Welcome! I just had a flickering oil light problem in my V8 recently and fortunately it turned out to be just the wrong oil viscosity. The oil warning light comes on at anything under 20psi, and once hot mine was going down to about 15psi. I had a Glowshift oil pressure gauge installed a while back and it helped immensely to actually know the oil pressure!

The oil got changed to the proper Mobil 1 synthetic 15W 50 and the pressure went back to normal ( about 23psi at hot idle). Hopefully since you mentioned an oil change this might be a similar situation.

As for the odb-II reader, I use this one with a laptop ($25):
ScanTool 423001 ElmScan 5 Compact OBD-II Scan Tool and OBDwiz Diagnostic Software : Amazon.com : Automotive

Hope this helps,

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you use various octane boost and cleaners then switch back to straight gas does it mess up the learning cycle of the ECU in V8's? Would he not have to reset the ECU and drive it awhile? Sometimes injector cleaners can loosen up things in the tank and clog up injectors?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Octane boosters don't make that much of a difference, so there should be no need to unhook the battery. Most cars of that vintage only had two timing maps, a high and low octane as determined by the presence of any knock detected by the knock sensor.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Hey guys, looking for some help. Curious if anyone knows where might i find a new diagnostic computer to check codes on my new ride? I tried to order one online two months ago and the Dude says it is still on back order. ( I slow boat from china i guess, so i cancelled the order.) I haven't driven the car since the oil pressure Tell Tale light started flickering. I did change the oil and filter after taking ownership. It was flickering after a weekend of driving put on about 500 miles before the issue presented itself. Just getting used to the car i originally thought it might have been a short somewhere because it only happened to flicker when i applied the brakes. Since then i have run it around the block a few times the light glows solid now. Thinking maybe i need to replace the filter again? Any other possible obstructions that could cause a drop in oil pressure or could it be a faulty sensor? It seems to run out fine, no unusual sounds. The car has sat for about 8 years until i purchased a few months ago. She only has like 9k miles on her. I also have a engine light on and why i want the computer to hook up to her. My traditional Snap-on unit doesn't display any codes, i can clear it but it returns. I think it is a O2 sensor, but again not certain. Think the guy clogged up the cats by running her at idle up to operating temperature then shutting her back off over the years. Not to mention he obviously put a ton of stabil in the tank to keep the gas alive. I already changed the High and Low volume fuel pumps and tried to get all the old fuel out of the tank, then ran a few tanks of gas thru her with octane booster and injector cleaner. She has steadily gotten smoother and smoother at idle and under acceleration. Lastly, she is now showing signs of hard starting 5-7 seconds before firing ( whether hot or Cold) thinking crank sensor.

Anyhow until i get a computer on her to hear what she wants to tell me i am just assuming. Any insight with any of these issues would be greatly appreciated. :shrug:
You can't just guess at engine codes. It could be anything. How about a bad/wrong gas cap? Make sure you have the correct viscosity oil and it is at the 1/2 way mark at least on the dipstick before you start it in the morning. You should be using 15W-50 Mobil 1 syn or comparable. Flush the brakes, clutch, anti-freeze. Check the age of the tires and battery. If the battery is tired and it doesn't crank fast enough it will take longer to start or maybe not at all. If the sensors don't see it cranking fast enough it won't start and if the voltage gets too low it won't start either. It will not run right till you burn up all of the old fuel and additives. Get your service up to date by starting with a "C" service. Most codes can be read by any generic scanner but a few are special to Lotus (be hopeful and maybe those aren't the ones tripping the light!). It is past time to change the tires, battery, and timing belt so get those things done ASAP.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow! Thanks everyone for the fast feed back thus far. Actually it wasn't in a barn but a good friends garage all that time. Several years in south florida, knock on wood i haven't had anything major break because i have driven her hard a few times. Ran her through the gears a few times shifting well below the rev limiter but still around 5-6k, and a highway sprint to 160 mph. Hey what can i say i like to go fast. Why else would any of us love these cars.

Anyhow, so whats the deal with the timing belt? That would be a job! Is the issue from the material they used to make them? That sound crazy to need to replace so soon on such a low mileage car. I know lack of use has it's issues with anything mechanical, but not from the hard parts. Usually just the electrical and fuel systems from moisture or the elements in general. Engine internals i would think would be fine for several thousand miles, if not tens of thousands.

I will review these tips again this weekend when i have a chance to spend some quality time with my new girl. I did use the mobil1 syn. in her. I will change the coolant and prepare to do the tranny too. Then check into the 'Puter set up ESPREE and SailorBob recommend herein. Thanks again guys.... keep the tips coming.... I will surely be leaning on you guys for insight going forward. I have owned numerous toys, but always american muscle. This is a new adventure for me, but i always wanted one of these cars. the opportunity presented itself and surely couldn't stand to see such a beautiful machine sit in a garage growing old all by herself. I believe in driving my cars, and driving them the way they where designed to be driven.... Fast and hard! But with lots of love in between the fun!

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
The timing belts are mileage AND time restricted. Like tires, when they get old, even if they look like new and have plenty of tread, they MUST be replaced. Same for batteries. After 7 years you are on borrowed time. I cannot overemphasize enough how dangerous it is to drive on an out of time belt. If you think it is expensive to do the belts and the tensioners you ain't seen nothing yet! Wait till you see a bill for a "top job" doing the heads when the valves crash into the pistons. And you will STILL have to do the belts! Figure between $2500 and $3K for the belts and tensioners depending on your area and the shop. A top job can cost over $10K. But Hey, it's your car and you can do what you want with it. This is NOT American Muscle. Think aviation where many of the parts are highly stressed and are time-lifed. BTW getting it up to 160 on old tires is gambling with your life. Especially if they are not properly inflated.
David Teitelbaum

·
Super Moderator
4,051 Posts
[snip] Ran her through the gears a few times shifting well below the rev limiter but still around 5-6k, and a highway sprint to 160 mph.[snip]

Anyhow, so whats the deal with the timing belt? That would be a job![snip] That sound crazy to need to replace so soon on such a low mileage car. [snip]I have owned numerous toys, but always american muscle. This is a new adventure for me, but i always wanted one of these cars. [snip] I believe in driving my cars, and driving them the way they where designed to be driven.... Fast and hard! [snip]
I came to the Esprit world for the same reason as you - always wanted one.

My 19 years of Mustang GT experience had to be 'reprogrammed' as the Esprit is nothing like it. 5.0 and 4.6L Timing chains last nearly forever at street use; not so the Esprit timing belt. And the engine is an interference engine - once the belt breaks, the valve/pistons collide. Unlike American Muscle, you can't get a crate 2012 Coyote engine for $6700 and call it fixed.

Nothing wrong with driving fast and hard (in safe conditions). But your Esprit sounds like TIME-based maintenance was not performed. That is a huge danger to your wallet.

"It's has low miles on it!" is not an advantage in this world.

Check out my garage (left under my avatar) to see what similar work you need ASAP on your car.

Trust me and others here - the Esprit V8 is farthest thing from American Muscle with regards to maintenance.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I've never heard of an Esprit referred to as a "barn find" or "barn fresh", one thing to note about these cars is they seem to wear out whether they sit or get driven regularly.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've never heard of an Esprit referred to as a "barn find" or "barn fresh", one thing to note about these cars is they seem to wear out whether they sit or get driven regularly.
thats pretty much any car. It just depends on the area. up north they get rust, down south everything rubber turns to dust. They always seem to work better when driven regularly.

·
Registered
151 Posts
thats pretty much any car. It just depends on the area. up north they get rust, down south everything rubber turns to dust. They always seem to work better when driven regularly.
No question, I've learned after many years in aviation that the worst thing you can do to an airplane is not fly it. Might as well crash it into the ocean. Same with cars. My colleagues at work sometimes bug me when I drive the lotus to work in the rain and, as they say " get it dirty". Of course, one of the guys has a five year old mustang with 5k on it. I give him hell for owning a car that he doesn't drive - really, what's the point? If you don't want to drive the car, open a museum.

The more I drive my car, the more likely I am to notice minor differences in performance and sort them out.

But really, I'd much rather drive the Esprit than my Volvo wagon, I mean, that's a no brainer, eh? I'm lucky because I live in a climate where I can drive year round, not everyone can do that.

Best thing I ever did with my 95 S4 was take it to an HPDE and got some great instruction on track. The car certainly has capabilities well beyond my current driving ability.

Check out The Lotus Forums Esprit - The Lotus Forums

Lots of good info there as well as here. Best of luck, the more you drive that car the more you'll love it!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts