The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my base suspension to a machine shop and had a few more adjustment grooves added to the shocks. The picture below shows where the 3 additional grooves were added. It is currently set on the middle (green) groove.

Sorry for the crappy cameraphone pics....

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
How slow do you drive that? I would imagine you take things SUPER carefully and take wide angles in and out of inclines.

Either that or the bottom and front are all scrapped up?

I love the look but holy cow that just doesn't look practical as a driveable car.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It's completely practical. After driving my slammed M3 with front lip and splitters, this thing is cake. I haven't scraped yet...but it's probably time to start looking at some type of front lip spoiler. I may raise it up a groove, but for now i'll take it easy and enjoy the looks.

Here is a pic of my previous clearance:

·
Registered
820 Posts
I'm certain the increased spring rates or greatly increased rebound will help keep the car stable under high G loads.

Oh yeah, that's right, you used a lathe on a base suspension...

:sheep::mw:

EDIT: I guess I shouldn't be so hard on you, most people buy cars for the looks, it appears you fall within the vast majority. Best of luck on your "slammed" cars.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm certain the increased spring rates or greatly increased rebound will help keep the car stable under high G loads.

Oh yeah, that's right, you used a lathe on a base suspension...

:sheep::mw:
For $60 and a few hours of my day, I think it was worth checking out. I can always adjust it back, this is nothing permanent. And now I have the option of slamming the car for shows, meets, etc. No worries.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Better than cutting the springs :p

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Did you relocate the steering rack to help account for bump steer? I recall that was one difference in cars with the sport pack.

·
Registered
852 Posts
good compromise. . . nothing wrong with lowering it to look good and raising it back up to hit the track. You arent Mario Andretti so enjoy the car the way YOU want. Looks great too!

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you relocate the steering rack to help account for bump steer? I recall that was one difference in cars with the sport pack.
I called up the fellows at LotusGarage to order the parts, and they told me that my steering rack will NOT need to be adjusted. He also told me that Lotus said the sport package would have the adjusted steering rack, but infact all Fed Elises have the adjusted rack. He told me not to adjust the rack.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
I called up the fellows at LotusGarage to order the parts, and they told me that my steering rack will NOT need to be adjusted. He also told me that Lotus said the sport package would have the adjusted steering rack, but infact all Fed Elises have the adjusted rack. He told me not to adjust the rack.
It's true that the sport and the base model cars here share the same rack mounting height. I'm not convinced the stock rack position is optimal for each of the three heights that the US cars have been delivered at. I'm even more skeptical that it's correct for your current ride height. But I also guess that it probably doesn't make a ton of difference with the base suspension.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I took my base suspension to a machine shop and had a few more adjustment grooves added to the shocks. The picture below shows where the 3 additional grooves were added. It is currently set on the middle (green) groove.
JUNGLISTluder,

The car looks sweet! I just had the S/A Nitrons installed on my car and want to go lower as well (though probably not as low as you are). Did you get an alignment done after lowering it?

I just got an alignment done after the Nitrons were installed and was wondering if I need to get it aligned again if I lower it a bit more...thanks for any advice!

Anyone else have an idea? Thanks in advance...

mini63

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
JUNGLISTluder,

The car looks sweet! I just had the S/A Nitrons installed on my car and want to go lower as well (though probably not as low as you are). Did you get an alignment done after lowering it?

I just got an alignment done after the Nitrons were installed and was wondering if I need to get it aligned again if I lower it a bit more...thanks for any advice!

Anyone else have an idea? Thanks in advance...

mini63
I have not gotten an alignment yet, but I plan to very soon. I would guess that you would need to realign if you lower your car some more.

·
Registered
104 Posts
But I also guess that it probably doesn't make a ton of difference with the base suspension.
I would expect the base suspension to be worse if there's a problem (though he's not complaining, so it must be good enough). The stiffer sport suspension allows less wheel movement.

What's the old Chapman quote? Something like "any suspension will work if you don't let it".

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
I would expect the base suspension to be worse if there's a problem (though he's not complaining, so it must be good enough). The stiffer sport suspension allows less wheel movement.

What's the old Chapman quote? Something like "any suspension will work if you don't let it".
Good point!

·
shay2nak
25,084 Posts
looks great. At the right height, me thinks.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts