The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok being only 16, i obviously dont know as much as pretty much all of you on here. i keep seeing all the parts references and things of that nature, that just look like a different language. how did you guys learn the basics.

im lookin at buying an elise in about anext year or so, and i need to know everthing.

whatts a good place to learn basics, and learn alot about the elise itself.
i mean i now the real basics, like the type of engine, the weight, compression ration, and things like this but i really need to become solidly educated in the car field before i can even fathom owning a machine like the elise.....

so

what are some good resources to learn basic, need to know, car info
and basic need to know elise info.?

thanks in advance!!:p

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
I'm sure you can find books on how cars and all their systems work.

As a kid, I got a Motor manual, which explained almost everything about cars/systems in general (and how to fix a few popular cars).

I bought an engine from a junkyard, took it apart, put it back together.

Electronics are way more complicated now, but manageable.

Hope this helps. welcome to lt.

PS: You need a much slower car for your first. Miata?

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,045 Posts
My first car was a 1987 Nissan Pathfinder. I was 17 and hardly got it off the dealer lot because I didn't know how to drive a manual shifter. It was ugly.
I had four cars before I bought the Elise, which prepared me for ownership if you understand my meaning

Do yourself a favor and buy something less troublesome than an Elise.
-Robert:no:

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Watch this one first...

Lotus Elise Inside Story

To get an idea about the idea behind the car and how it's constructed. This is for the orignial S1 Elise, but a lot still applies to the Federal Elise.

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Not sure this can be stressed enough:

Get some performance driving lessons.

Unless you're some sort of superhuman teenager, you're physically close to finished, mentally you're as smart as you'll ever be, and emotionally, you're in utter chaos for the next 7 years. It is highly unlikely that your emotions will not run away while you're at the wheel at some point.

I doubt we'll be able to convince you to get some sort of a safer mid engine car to experiment with first, so at the very least, try to be trained for what to do when you spin out of control.

and dear god, don't let some cute girl drive it just cause she bats her eyes at you. (I lost a Mustang that way) :(

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Not sure this can be stressed enough:

Get some performance driving lessons.

Unless you're some sort of superhuman teenager, you're physically close to finished, mentally you're as smart as you'll ever be, and emotionally, you're in utter chaos for the next 7 years. It is highly unlikely that your emotions will not run away while you're at the wheel at some point.

I doubt we'll be able to convince you to get some sort of a safer mid engine car to experiment with first, so at the very least, try to be trained for what to do when you spin out of control.

and dear god, don't let some cute girl drive it just cause she bats her eyes at you. (I lost a Mustang that way) :(
+1000

If you can afford an Elise/Exige, you can afford a 3-day Racing School at Skip Barber (or equivalent). The Lotus feels and drives more like a formula car than a four door sedan (or Matrix). I'd even go further and suggest something like the Advanced Car Control Clinic, where you learn advanced car balance and recovery techniques.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Even though a Elise is not a 400 hp car, it can still be a little gnarly for a fresh driver to handle. I wouldnt recommend a new driver getting into one of these only because they draw so much attention to you, not only by peds but cops too. At your age, you dont need cops all over you. Plus, what would your insurance run on one of these?!

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
IMHO, don't get the Elise / Exige. Get something fun to drive that has a metal skin, like a Miata. They have lots of good attributes: cheap, easy to work on, solid body, fun to drive, etc... The girls will still think you have a really cute / fun car.

Spend the left over money on driving skills, (i.e. Skip Barber, Bob Bondurant, local SCCA or other local club) and getting track time.

Take a class in basic auto mechanics. Then in between track days try to get a 'helper' job at a local automotive repair shop. I did that through much of high school and college. The intial jobs will be simple and potentially messy (run pick-up parts, change oil, change plugs, etc...) but as soon as you show you have some skill you'll start doing things like pulling engines, re-doing heads, etc... and will learn skills that will last you a lifetime of driving. Also gives you a chance to slowly build up a decent set of tools without spending a small fortune. (Automotive mechanic helper, will work for tools.)

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
+1 on taking a class somewhere. You should be able to get into an automotive class at a local community college.

But I think the best way to learn the basics is to find someone that already knows them and have them personally walk you through some basic operations -- like changing the oil, changing brake pads, etc.

I learned most of what I know from my father and friends. The rest was just from personal experience while following directions from books and the internet.

Good luck.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
You guys there are plenty of us that started our driving careers with something that might have killed us, but we lived through it anyway. An Elise is no more likely to kill a moron teenager as any other car is. Actually to put it more accurately: a moron teenager can easily find a way to kill himself in either a Lotus or an Oldsmobile.

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Go to your local library.

Books on cars, even the latest car magazines.

All for free.

Read them there in a nice air conditioned room!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts