The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am new to the forum. Just purchased an 05 Elise which that had been plugged in to a trickle charger by its previous owner, so he had no issues with the battery or alarm. I am now parking the car in a public garage and do not have the ability to plug it in. The mechanic (here in NY that has already been working on this car for a number of years) installed a kill switch, which he did, but since installing it (in the trunk near the battery) I have come to the car after a few days of non-use only to discover the battery dead. I would come to the car, turn the kill switch off and the first thing I would notice is the fob would not engage the car, or work at all. Then the alarm would start kind of wildly going off and when I tried to start it, no dash lights would come on and only a fading red alarm light would appear. I would then have to jump start the car and just took it to the mechanic where it sits now. This has happened twice now with two different new batteries. Any thoughts or recommendations anyone might have for this greatly appreciated. Since i'm not really mechanically inclined, I will probably pass anyones thoughts straight along to the mechanic. I know there have already been a number of posts about this type of problem, but I haven't seen this particular one. Thanks very much. Tom

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
After initially reading this I would have been convinced it was a battery issue. After reading you description I I would suggest bypassing the kill switch.
After doing this please contact me for further help.
Michael

Hello all, I am new to the forum. Just purchased an 05 Elise which that had been plugged in to a trickle charger by its previous owner, so he had no issues with the battery or alarm. I am now parking the car in a public garage and do not have the ability to plug it in. The mechanic (here in NY that has already been working on this car for a number of years) installed a kill switch, which he did, but since installing it (in the trunk near the battery) I have come to the car after a few days of non-use only to discover the battery dead. I would come to the car, turn the kill switch off and the first thing I would notice is the fob would not engage the car, or work at all. Then the alarm would start kind of wildly going off and when I tried to start it, no dash lights would come on and only a fading red alarm light would appear. I would then have to jump start the car and just took it to the mechanic where it sits now. This has happened twice now with two different new batteries. Any thoughts or recommendations anyone might have for this greatly appreciated. Since i'm not really mechanically inclined, I will probably pass anyones thoughts straight along to the mechanic. I know there have already been a number of posts about this type of problem, but I haven't seen this particular one. Thanks very much. Tom

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As it turns out, a stereo amplifier was connected directly to the battery and continued to drain it even after the kill switch was engaged. Now I can enjoy the car without having to jump start it every time I want to use it.
Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.