The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 Lotus NA in the last couple of months has had battery issues.
It sat for a couple weeks, then wouldn't start. So I purchased a trickle charger.
It works great, it took about 5 hours to charge but then it was fine.

I just got back from holiday (9 days) and it wouldn't start again. ugh!
I hooked up the charger and it said it was at 48%.

Nothing is running in the car.

Does it lose that much, that quick?

The battery shows good on my charger test. Thanx.

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,057 Posts
Parasitic losses are incurred, usually by the alarm. If you're not driving it, leave it on the charger. 48% isn't "good", and your charger test is suspect at best.

San

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Parasitic losses are incurred, usually by the alarm. If you're not driving it, leave it on the charger. 48% isn't "good", and your charger test is suspect at best.

San
so you think my battery needs replacing?
I've had this car for over a year with no issues. The only reason I looked at trickle charging it was that I just got a Maserati and they require them.
Maybe my battery needs replacing...

·
7,057 Posts
so you think my battery needs replacing?
I've had this car for over a year with no issues. The only reason I looked at trickle charging it was that I just got a Maserati and they require them.
Maybe my battery needs replacing...
Hard to say. Take the battery to AutoZone or someone who has the proper equipment to see if the battery is good. Testing with a voltmeter doesn't tell you much as the battery isn't under a load. Normal batteries don't like to be discharged, especially fully, and usually suffer as a consequence.

San

·
Registered
336 Posts
Living in NJ and cold weather and now lots of rain and not driving it for long periods. I took battery to Advance Auto and they said just needs charging.
They charged it and I put battery tender on and few weeks later no start. Charged battery and running every week and no issues.
But as soon as cold wet weather hits NJ and they put salt down I am done driving until Spring.. I feel the small battery tenders not enough amperage.
So just purchased a Schumucher 1500 Amp charger that will put out 3 amps while monitoring and will let you know in time if this is answer.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Just get new cheap battery every 3 years, they works great and easy to replace.
Occasionally I leave my 2010 3 weeks off and never had any issue. I don’t think the Evora consume more energy than any other modern car with security system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
7,057 Posts
Living in NJ and cold weather and now lots of rain and not driving it for long periods. I took battery to Advance Auto and they said just needs charging.
They charged it and I put battery tender on and few weeks later no start. Charged battery and running every week and no issues.
But as soon as cold wet weather hits NJ and they put salt down I am done driving until Spring.. I feel the small battery tenders not enough amperage.
So just purchased a Schumucher 1500 Amp charger that will put out 3 amps while monitoring and will let you know in time if this is answer.
1500 amps? Are you sure you're not referring to the Schumacher SSC-1500A-CA model that is 3 or 15 amps (maximum)? 1500 amps is ridiculous and dangerous.

San

·
Premium Member
6,344 Posts
More than 2-3 days/always on tender. Have never had a tendered battery fail.

·
Registered
336 Posts
1500 amps? Are you sure you're not referring to the Schumacher SSC-1500A-CA model that is 3 or 15 amps (maximum)? 1500 amps is ridiculous and dangerous.

San

I did say 3 amps monitoring charging and not 1500 amps..

·
Registered
299 Posts
A marine battery cutoff from Amazon, homemade aluminum battery bracket, and a Shorai Lithium battery have worked for three years. I bought the special lithium battery charger but honestly didn't need to. The battery cutoff is off when the car is off for more than a day.

My battery trials went from ~36 pounds lead acid, ~13 pounds glassmat, to just under 7 for the Shorai. The added benefit to me is the lead acid battery was easier to spill over or break away from the mount on the track. It is essentially an expensive motorcycle battery but it turns the car over like toy and it hasn't burned my garage down yet;}

·
Registered
279 Posts
A marine battery cutoff from Amazon, homemade aluminum battery bracket, and a Shorai Lithium battery have worked for three years. I bought the special lithium battery charger but honestly didn't need to. The battery cutoff is off when the car is off for more than a day.

My battery trials went from ~36 pounds lead acid, ~13 pounds glassmat, to just under 7 for the Shorai. The added benefit to me is the lead acid battery was easier to spill over or break away from the mount on the track. It is essentially an expensive motorcycle battery but it turns the car over like toy and it hasn't burned my garage down yet;}
I switched over to lithium and haven't looked back. Antigravity sells an automotive sized battery with a built in jump start capability (battery shuts off if it gets too low, and has enough capacity for 2-3 starts, and can be triggered remotely). And it lives on the Li-ion battery maintainer when it is parked at the house.

It was well worth the money and time to make a new battery bracket.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Be sure to wait 30 minutes per the manual before disconnecting the battery else you may get airbag light.

·
Registered
134 Posts
My 2012 Lotus NA in the last couple of months has had battery issues.
It sat for a couple weeks, then wouldn't start. So I purchased a trickle charger.
It works great, it took about 5 hours to charge but then it was fine.

I just got back from holiday (9 days) and it wouldn't start again. ugh!
I hooked up the charger and it said it was at 48%.

Nothing is running in the car.

Does it lose that much, that quick?

The battery shows good on my charger test. Thanx.
Furstratingly, I have this same issue. I have a 2012 Evora S that sits in th a garage on a trickle charger most of the time. I have had to replace the battery twice in the last three years. The trickle charger works for a few months, then I return to find a flashing red light and a completely dead battery. Have no idea what is causing this, but it's driving me crazy. Hope someone has some ideas on the forum.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hoping that 3 amp charging will be enough instead of the 1 1/2 & 2 amp trickle chargers I have been using..
Have to make up some cords and here in NJ we are still having 50 and 60 degree days and very little salt down on roads
allowing me to drive longer than any other years past ..
So February and part of March hope to find out if charger works..

1 - 20 of 45 Posts