The Lotus Cars Community banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
...So now have to wonder if 3amp is the reason and is that what is needed for these newer cars or vs my very old Battery tenders the reason...
I don't know how old your battery is, but if the battery tender was green, then your battery should have been topped off. Especially if you put the tender on soon after you park the car when the alternator should have had your battery fully charged. Unless, of course there is a draw that is higher than the lower amp tender could keep up with.

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
Sherman at Hethelsport's magnetic charger kit is first rate and great value for money. I made a bracket to install it because I didn't want to drill a hole in my bodywork. The magnetic charger detaches if you drive off with it connected. I've had good luck with the CTEK chargers/conditioners. I have their MXS5.0 charger on my Evora.
All of Sherman's parts are of great quality. And, he's been a real pleasure to deal with over the years. (y)

·
Registered
67 Posts
I would much appreciate a photo of the bracket and mounting location.
I posted a picture of it here along with some details of how I routed the wires.

Its just a flat aluminum bar with a hole for the charger port on one end and a hole to mount it under the diffuser on the other end.

You will not regret getting the kit from Hethelsport.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
I don't know how old your battery is, but if the battery tender was green, then your battery should have been topped off. Especially if you put the tender on soon after you park the car when the alternator should have had your battery fully charged. Unless, of course there is a draw that is higher than the lower amp tender could keep up with.
Even if the green light was on and wouldn't start the car, it's a bad battery. While a tender charges a battery, the green light only indicates that it sees the battery as fully charged. A surface charge would give this indication. I'm willing to bet that with the green light on, the battery at rest would be about 12.8-12.9 volts and if you had a meter on the battery, the voltage drops way off when starting. No amps.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts