The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All! Just purchased my first Lotus and it was delivered last Thursday. I bought it out of state a have appointment this afternoon to get it state inspected and registered. I took it around my neighborhood twice illegally last Thursday, but have been waiting for registration and plates to actually take it out. I trickle charged the battery Thursday night to 100% and haven't driven since. This morning (Monday) battery was down to 71% so I'm trickle charging it now.

My question/concern is: I will be leaving for a two week vacation shortly and the Lotus will be sitting for two weeks. I understand the security system drains the battery fairly quickly and if my loss of 29% in three days is accurate, my battery should be completely dead by the time I get back from vacation. I don't have a real comfort level with putting it on a trickle charger for two weeks while no one is there to monitor it. I thought I read that it will only lose the VIN in the computer if the battery is completely dead and you attempt to start the car. So my question is, would it be OK to let it uncharge while on vacation and put it on trickle charger when I get back. Recommendations?

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Quick questions:
What model & year Lotus?
Do you know the age of the battery (could be marked on the top)?
For an Elise, you should be able to about 2 weeks+ with a new lead-acid battery.

Cheers,
Kiyoshi

·
Registered
769 Posts
If you’re not worried about needing the security system, I suggest you get a cut-off switch for the battery. In the meantime you could disconnect the negative (ground) battery cable. But I’ve also used a battery “maintainer” for extended periods with no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you’re not worried about needing the security system, I suggest you get a cut-off switch for the battery. In the meantime you could disconnect the negative (ground) battery cable. But I’ve also used a battery “maintainer” for extended periods with no problems.

Thanks!

·
Registered
431 Posts
I leave the Esprit on a trickle charger hooked directly to the terminals for weeks at a time. I've had the gel cell for the Formula car on a trickle charger for over six months while I'm waiting on an new engine for it. The only units I trust are Battery Tender brand.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I have the CTEK MUS 4.3 and it works great
I have 4 ctek 3300 battery tenders and use on my cars when not driving. They supposedly exercise the battery and prolong battery life. If you are not driving your car for extended periods of time I would scoop up any sort of battery tender.

·
Premium Member
11,891 Posts
I leave the Esprit on a trickle charger hooked directly to the terminals for weeks at a time. I've had the gel cell for the Formula car on a trickle charger for over six months while I'm waiting on an new engine for it. The only units I trust are Battery Tender brand.
This is key. "Trickle chargers" are dumb and charge all the time, actually shortening battery life. I also trust Battery Tender and have 4 of them. Smart chargers sense when to charge and when to not.

·
Loves to talk
1,102 Posts
I have my bikes on Battery Tenders and the Lotus on a CTEK. My Evora seems to drain the battery fairly quickly compared to other vehicles in the fleet. With a good smart charger, no issues, no worries, no thoughts to concern oneself with. You're going to keep your house plugged in while you're gone, right? A car has a lot less going on to worry about than a house but replacing batteries remains an annoyance regardless. Your other option is to disconnect the battery or install a switch. Anything in between risks a weaker battery than you had when you left.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Hello All! Just purchased my first Lotus and it was delivered last Thursday. I bought it out of state a have appointment this afternoon to get it state inspected and registered. I took it around my neighborhood twice illegally last Thursday, but have been waiting for registration and plates to actually take it out. I trickle charged the battery Thursday night to 100% and haven't driven since. This morning (Monday) battery was down to 71% so I'm trickle charging it now.

My question/concern is: I will be leaving for a two week vacation shortly and the Lotus will be sitting for two weeks. I understand the security system drains the battery fairly quickly and if my loss of 29% in three days is accurate, my battery should be completely dead by the time I get back from vacation. I don't have a real comfort level with putting it on a trickle charger for two weeks while no one is there to monitor it. I thought I read that it will only lose the VIN in the computer if the battery is completely dead and you attempt to start the car. So my question is, would it be OK to let it uncharge while on vacation and put it on trickle charger when I get back. Recommendations?
Always keep a maintainer, on it, a dead or low battery can cause a lot of problems...

·
Premium Member
2005 Lotus Elise; 2007 Lotus Exige S; 2012 Porsche 991S
1,500 Posts
I did a video about this keeping batteries charged during coronavirus lockdown:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts