The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was out of the country for a week (in China, but that's not relevant). My Elise was sitting in the garage for, I think, 11 days.

Now I find that my battery is completely dead. It measured at something like 3.5V!

It's an Exide X-Tra+ 063TE, so I see that it's one of the OEM batteries. I suppose that makes it possible that it's the original from 2007.

If that's the case I suppose it would explain why it died after just 11 days, although just a couple of months ago it was fine (car started) after my last trip to China that I think was about the same length.

Ironically, the previous owner fitted a Schumacher battery maintainer. He probably needed it given that this 2007 only had 9800 miles on it when I bought it a few months ago. Unfortunately I don't have power in my garage, as I live in an apartment.

I took it out without knowing that SirLotus had posted a sticky on here, so I didn't know there was a back up battery for the alarm. Nothing happened though, so I must presume that that is dead too. Last night I did hear an alarm going off in roughly the direction of the garage for a short while and I said to my wife, "That sounds like my alarm!". She said that I was being paranoid. It then stopped.

I was going to ask for help when I started writing this post, but as I'm writing I can see that it's fairly likely that this is the original battery (the last owner kept many of his receipts and I don't see one for a new battery) and that it's probably beyond hope given it's sadly depleted state, regardless of it's age.

I guess that it's simply time to buy a new one. I suppose the simplest option to find a drop in replacement would be to visit Broadwalk Lotus just down the road from me.

While it might be nice to switch over to a AGM battery, I want to get it back on the road ASAP. I might decide to go on the GGLC drive this Sat.

I suppose my other option would be to see if Dietsch Werks has something. They're just down the road from my work (damn, I'm spoiled!).

Anyone got any words of advice? Is there a drop in AGM battery widely available?

Given that this is my DD, and I frequently travel for business for a couple weeks at a time. I think I better stick with a high-capacity versus trying to save weight.

·
Terry
2,192 Posts
if you want i can give you my stock battery for free. it's still running in my car now but i just bought a 7lbs battery and going to swap it this friday at my buddy's house. so yeah free battery if you are around cupertino ;)

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
If you're looking for a quick replacement, Autozone and Advance sell batteries that fit the stock mounting points (not AGM obviously).

I had a Duralast in mine until last weekend.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if you want i can give you my stock battery for free. it's still running in my car now but i just bought a 7lbs battery and going to swap it this friday at my buddy's house. so yeah free battery if you are around cupertino ;)
Oh, wow! What a generous offer. I think I may well take you up on that, unless I can find a AGM locally.

Thank you! I'll let you know.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Any time you let the battery drain significant voltage, you damage it, as it sulfates in the process. The lower the drain, the more sulfate builds on the lead plates. Once sulfated, the battery will never get back to it's original charge. Drain a new auto battery down below 11v and you'll be lucky to get the battery charged back to ~the 13.2 it was at and stay there. It'll likely settle down to 12.8v. Drain it down to 3.5v and you're be lucky if you can maintain a charge of 11v. You get the idea.

Just something to think about when you do get your replacement. If you think your battery is going to drain below 12.4v, you're better off disconnecting it. Or buy a $7 kill switch. They work great and will save you in the long run.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Jon - I consider that typical battery life is 36 months, more than that it's borrowed time and performance will fall off. I babied my OE battery, used a trickle charger when the car wasn't used for more than a week, etc and managed to nurse it until it couldn't hold a charge longer than 3-5 days. That was earlier this year, 7 years!!!

My point is that a battery tender is your best friend anytime you're going to leave the car sitting for more than a week. This is especially true as the battery gets to 3 years in age.

Kiyoshi

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just something to think about when you do get your replacement. If you think your battery is going to drain below 12.4v, you're better off disconnecting it. Or buy a $7 kill switch. They work great and will save you in the long run.

That's a great idea Squidward. Although a trip to Harbor Freight might not be such a good idea, as it can result in all kinds of unplanned additional purchases!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My point is that a battery tender is your best friend anytime you're going to leave the car sitting for more than a week. This is especially true as the battery gets to 3 years in age.
Kyoshi,

I've been trying to work out a way to get power to it. I thought about using the light fixture in the storage room in front of my storage room with an Edison screw to socket converter. I'm just not sure the my landlord would approve as that's not billed to my unit.

My other thought was to use my Vagabond II portable power system to power the battery maintainer. This is something I have for studio photographic lighting. It's a self contained battery and inverter. But the battery is only 20Ahr, so it'd only extend my standing time by something like 50% before it's completely drained, and the last thing I want is to kill two batteries in one go!

Seeing as it's very dim in the garage, a solar charger isn't an option either.

What to do...?

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Kyoshi,

I've been trying to work out a way to get power to it. I thought about using the light fixture in the storage room in front of my storage room with an Edison screw to socket converter. I'm just not sure the my landlord would approve as that's not billed to my unit.

My other thought was to use my Vagabond II portable power system to power the battery maintainer. This is something I have for studio photographic lighting. It's a self contained battery and inverter. But the battery is only 20Ahr, so it'd only extend my standing time by something like 50% before it's completely drained, and the last thing I want is to kill two batteries in one go!

Seeing as it's very dim in the garage, a solar charger isn't an option either.

What to do...?
That is a dilema. Perhaps you can try hooking up a portable car battery jump starter to the battery. The portable jump starters have a deep cycle battery that's designed to be completely drained. You can pick up a 500 amp unit for about $100.

Kiyoshi

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I decided to pick up an Odyssey 680 and cut switch from Dietsch Werks, so I won't be needed it now. Once again, thank you for your generous offer.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no problem at all! hope to see you in the future bay area meet ;)
I might go on the GGLC drive on Sat, if I get this Odyssey in in time, and if I feel like putting that many miles on the car, and if I can get up that early in the morning!

That's a lot of ifs, especially that last one!

·
Registered
199 Posts
While you're there at Rob's have put in a battery tie-down strap for you. That way the battery doesn't come loose on you. Hope to see you Sat!

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
He's replacing a stock size battery with a much smaller battery so I'm pretty sure a bracket is being used. If it's the one sold by RLS, the battery isn't going anywhere. Make sure you use the cut off switch religiously as that battery will not last more than a week connected. It does hold it's charge pretty well disconnected.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
I have been very disappointed with the reliability of the direct replacement AGM Optima 75/25, having had two fail. Recently I purchased a battery made in the US by Deka and up until now have been satisfied. It is half the size of the Optima but more capacity (AH) than some of the smaller alternatives. I did have to fabricate and aluminum braket.Big Crank ETX30L Battery - Free Shipping: BatteryMart.com
Michael

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I installed my Odyssey PC-680-P and Sector-111 bracket with cut off switch tonight.

I took it for a drive and it's like a completely different car with that 15lbs of added lightness. It probably accelerates twice as fast now!

Okay, I'm making that up! It was so good though to be driving it again nearly two weeks after I left for China.

One question though. How do I cut off the battery, having first locked the doors, without enabling the alarm and having it go off when I open the trunk?

I'm sure there's a simple answer, but it's a mystery to me!

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
I installed my Odyssey PC-680-P and Sector-111 bracket with cut off switch tonight.

I took it for a drive and it's like a completely different car with that 15lbs of added lightness. It probably accelerates twice as fast now!

Okay, I'm making that up! It was so good though to be driving it again nearly two weeks after I left for China.

One question though. How do I cut off the battery, having first locked the doors, without enabling the alarm and having it go off when I open the trunk?

I'm sure there's a simple answer, but it's a mystery to me!
If the battery has a cut off switch the alarm will be inoperative too. That is one disadvantage.
Michael

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If the battery has a cut off switch the alarm will be inoperative too. That is one disadvantage.
Michael
I was thinking the alarm would go off after I lock the car and then open the trunk (to cut off the battery) and stay on until I cut the power. But then I realized that's only if I lock the car using the remote (which also immobilizes the car and sets the alarm).

If I lock the car the old fashioned way (key in the door lock), I'll be fine.

BTW, I found out my interior light was on while I was away. It must have accidentally got knocked. No wonder the battery died this time and not the last time I was away.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Michael
I'm leaving for China again on Sat and I still don't know how to lock the cars without setting the alarm. I tried the traditional approach of turning the key in the door lock, but that did nothing.

If necessary, I'll have to set the alarm, open the trunk and turn off the battery quickly and hope non of the neighbors minded.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts