The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Damn battery dead again, need to get a good trickle charger.

I can't face taking this thing in again to get charged. CAn I jump it with one of those self contained jumper boxes?

Thanks

·
Elise newb
342 Posts
Damn battery dead again, need to get a good trickle charger.

I can't face taking this thing in again to get charged. CAn I jump it with one of those self contained jumper boxes?

Thanks
Yes. you can use one of the self contained jump starters. But you will need to drive it for quite a while to get the battery charged from the alternator.

If you have flattened the battery more than one, a new one is in your near future.

I bought a CTEK smart charger some time ago. I have a quick disconnect on my motorcycle battery and on the Elise. Makes it very convenient to keep the battery healthy when I am only driving the car sporadically.

·
3Xtothe0[]
489 Posts
You HAVE to keep it on a battery tender, the ECU sucks the battery dry in a week....TADTS

·
Elise newb
342 Posts
You HAVE to keep it on a battery tender, the ECU sucks the battery dry in a week....TADTS

When I was shopping, I found one that had a battery cutoff switch. Given that I never use the radio I think that is a good idea.

·
Registered
505 Posts
the answer to your problems ;),its what i use and cteks are great

CTEK MXS 5.0

CTEK BATTERY POWER LEVEL AND QUICK CONNECT

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
I guess I'm lucky. My battery has sat for 6 to 7 Weeks four times in the last 2 years and started right up! If I were you I guess I would install a battery disconnect switch.

·
Elise newb
342 Posts
yep,and then he doesnt have an alarm :cool:
I haven't been to Australia in twenty years. Do you all pay attention to car alarms? Here in the US they are ignored completely.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Just get a battery tender. You can get a super simple one that is just a wall plug and a wire, with a SAE two wire connection to the battery, for like $10. Takes 2 seconds to unplug it when you go for a drive, and 2 seconds to plug it back in when you get home.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I haven't been to Australia in twenty years. Do you all pay attention to car alarms? Here in the US they are ignored completely.
which is the reason our crime rate is 90% less than yours i guess :facepalm :D
Cant see the point of having a car alarm if you dont set it ?????

·
Registered
903 Posts

It's not the ECU though is it? It's the Viper alarm and microwave sensor going 24/7 whether or not the vehicle is locked and the alarm is armed...

·
Registered
903 Posts
which is the reason our crime rate is 90% less than yours i guess :facepalm :D
Cant see the point of having a car alarm if you dont set it ?????
I personally can't see the point in having a car alarm when the top is made of fabric anyway... I don't know that anyone's breaking in to steal the car but rather breaking in to get your ipod laying in the passenger seat - which will take them all of 10 seconds to get in and get at - regardless of whether you have an alarm or not.

It's like when they started putting DRM restrictions on everything. All of a sudden your PC games crash because of some extra **** tacked on, your music you purchased can't be put on anything but X device because you might share it with a friend, etc. It causes more headaches for the owner than it does for the thief.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys what is this CTEk? Battery disconnect? is it better to use a tender? I bought a small tender for around 30 bucks but I don't think it works. If I don't drive the car the battery is dead in like a month.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes. you can use one of the self contained jump starters. But you will need to drive it for quite a while to get the battery charged from the alternator.

If you have flattened the battery more than one, a new one is in your near future.

I bought a CTEK smart charger some time ago. I have a quick disconnect on my motorcycle battery and on the Elise. Makes it very convenient to keep the battery healthy when I am only driving the car sporadically.
thanks, good idea. How long you recommend using the self contained charger for?

·
Elise newb
342 Posts
thanks, good idea. How long you recommend using the self contained charger for?
Those are only good for jump starting the car, not charging the battery back to a useable level. They don't have the proper charging circuitry or voltage to make that practicable.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
515 Posts
Yeah, the auto-on alarm "feature" is what's killing the battery in a week. We had a cold winter and I didn't get to drive it for 6-8 weeks. The battery was too weak to turn the motor over, so I put a charger on of about 10 amps connected through the cigarette lighter socket (it's wired always on to the battery, remember) for maybe 10 minutes while I checked the tires, etc., and that was enough to get it to start. My alarm is set to arm only when I tell it to. Otherwise, I'd need a trickle charger on too.

·
Premium Member
11,995 Posts
Letting most batteries go flat reduces their life span significantly.

Everyone with electricity should have a smart charger.

·
Registered
689 Posts
You HAVE to keep it on a battery tender/mender. The immobilizer is setting itself and drawing current while it sits. read Sir Lotus's explanantions in his sticky. =

4) Alarm PIN
5) Battery Choices & Information
6) Emergency Alarm/Immobilizer/CDL Override
7) New Style Cobra Alarm Fob Cases
8) Skid plates/Protectors-Elise, Exige, Evora
9) Eezibleed Brake/Clutch Pressure Bleeder with Lotus Cap

THe immobilizer automatically sets itself to prevent someone from starting the car. The alarm has to be set with the fob button to set. You can personally un-immobilize the immobilizer by reading and following his instructions. And then just use the hard key to lock the door mechanism without having the alarm set. Good luck. The immobilizer is separate from the alarm. It sets itself automatically. The alarm has to be set by you when you leave the car.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts