The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got a nice Optima yellow top on my 2005 Elise, but even with that battery, and the alarm turned off (dome light in down position), I'm lucky if I can start it after a week or less in the garage. Yes, I have a tender, but it seems insane to have to keep that thing plugged in all the time.

Searches tell me a lot about battery choices and battery tenders, but I can't seem to find out why these cars suck so much power when doing absolutely nothing...

?

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
It's just a fact of life. As soon as I park my car, it's plugged in. almost 8 years, and I've never had a problem.

·
Premium Member
11,716 Posts
It's just a fact of life. As soon as I park my car, it's plugged in. almost 8 years, and I've never had a problem.
absolutely.

I ran wire to under louvers so no need to even open the trunk. All cars and tractor are on bt.

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ran wire to under louvers so no need to even open the trunk. All cars and tractor are on bt.
Good idea... Any other suggestions for concealed plug-in locations?

Still don't understand why such a little car sucks so much power though... None of my other cars do this.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
i don't know if there is car to car variation, but mine on the stock battery lasted well more than a week when it was fresh. I think i still get a weeks charge out of it with a 6 year old battery that's in pretty poor shape. That's with the doors unlocked and the alarm not set. Not sure what i'd get with the alarm set. Does a yellow top have the same total charge in it? I know lipo batteries are lighter because they can discharge more amps in one shot for a given battery, but they contain less actual charge, so they wont keep the car start-able for as long as a good ol' lead acid.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Parasitic drain with the alarm on, ECU & radio is 42.5ma.
The "maintainer" pigtails can either be routed to the divers side air intake vent or simply left in the trunk, which is what I did. Additionally, I have a battery cut off switch. The time a battery will sustain this parasitic drain before failing to start the engine is dependent on it's capacity (AH) and condition.
Michael

1 - 7 of 7 Posts