The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got a nice Optima yellow top on my 2005 Elise, but even with that battery, and the alarm turned off (dome light in down position), I'm lucky if I can start it after a week or less in the garage. Yes, I have a tender, but it seems insane to have to keep that thing plugged in all the time.

Searches tell me a lot about battery choices and battery tenders, but I can't seem to find out why these cars suck so much power when doing absolutely nothing...

?

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
It's just a fact of life. As soon as I park my car, it's plugged in. almost 8 years, and I've never had a problem.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
The drain with everything off should be 20.5ma. The parasitic drain is from the alarm and ECU. Check yours with an ammeter in series with the positive battery cable.
Michael

·
Premium Member
11,770 Posts
It's just a fact of life. As soon as I park my car, it's plugged in. almost 8 years, and I've never had a problem.
absolutely.

I ran wire to under louvers so no need to even open the trunk. All cars and tractor are on bt.

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ran wire to under louvers so no need to even open the trunk. All cars and tractor are on bt.
Good idea... Any other suggestions for concealed plug-in locations?

Still don't understand why such a little car sucks so much power though... None of my other cars do this.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
i don't know if there is car to car variation, but mine on the stock battery lasted well more than a week when it was fresh. I think i still get a weeks charge out of it with a 6 year old battery that's in pretty poor shape. That's with the doors unlocked and the alarm not set. Not sure what i'd get with the alarm set. Does a yellow top have the same total charge in it? I know lipo batteries are lighter because they can discharge more amps in one shot for a given battery, but they contain less actual charge, so they wont keep the car start-able for as long as a good ol' lead acid.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Parasitic drain with the alarm on, ECU & radio is 42.5ma.
The "maintainer" pigtails can either be routed to the divers side air intake vent or simply left in the trunk, which is what I did. Additionally, I have a battery cut off switch. The time a battery will sustain this parasitic drain before failing to start the engine is dependent on it's capacity (AH) and condition.
Michael

1 - 7 of 7 Posts