The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After some runs with my new s/c setup today appeared red battery light on the dash when accelerating ...

slight flashing sometimes , other times flashing continuasly ....

on idle is not coming on ....

any ideas ?

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
check the battery/battery connections, alternator etc

the alternator regulator warning light is connected to the shift light, so when the regulator isn't working, or isn't seeing enough voltage it flickers the shift light.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
generally not something bad ?

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
If its more flickering and not limiting the engine to 6000 RPM with a definite timed on/off flash then its generally just a electrical supply problem, worst case fried alternator, best case loose battery connection with everything inbetween.

if its on/off with a limit then its usually something else, cams etc.

the blown fuse problem usually causes an upper limit with power loss, so i doubt its that.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not limp mode ...

car seems run great !!!

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
so is it more of a flicker, rather than a steady flash?

Be aware though if it is a voltage problem you'll be loosing fuel / injector capacity, the ecu does have a voltage compensation setting but it can only do so much.

So if its below what the ecu can manage for it, it'll be running lean, especially with those bosch injectors.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so is it more of a flicker, rather than a steady flash?

Be aware though if it is a voltage problem you'll be loosing fuel / injector capacity, the ecu does have a voltage compensation setting but it can only do so much.

So if its below what the ecu can manage for it, it'll be running lean, especially with those bosch injectors.
flicker definitelly ....

it started suddenly ...

i will check tomorrow battery wires/battery and alternator fuses ....

CAN SCAN do not appear any fault code ...

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
It won't there are no codes for it, you might get other codes from it due to a related behaviour, but nothing direct.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Look what i ve found ,

belt is riped ...

is it possible the battery light to be appeared cause of this (due to a kind of fail on alternator ) ??

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
First thing I'd check is your connections on the alternator, then check your connection on the extension harness that you had to put in when the alternator was moved. Also check the routing of the harness and make sure it isn't what it taking out your belt.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:up:
It was the upper extension harness connection of the alternator

see atached image

we fixed it and re install it .

This caused also and a burned fuse on the engine compartment fuse box (R3 position Alternator sense)
Replaced also the fuse ....

·
Registered
215 Posts
My first instinct was that it was a loose belt just tight enough at idle but was slipping under load. The picture you posted shows a need for a belt replacment. This would also effect the boost from the SC.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@Ren Man ,
replaced already

@Dragon,
Thanks man now everything is ok !!!

·
Registered
545 Posts
I noticed my battery light flicker a bit yesterday, only when the engine was cold. Just fired my car up, ran the RPMs up a bit (to about 4K) it flickered a bit then stopped. No blown fuse.
This was the first time I ever noticed this symptom.
What are your thoughts, I have the BWR as well. I suppose I will go poke around my extension connection as well.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
same deal, as i said up there a flickering light is the alternator's regulator saying that it is not able to supply enough power to the car, somewhere in the chain somethings causing it to drop in power, loose connection, bad alternator regulator, bad battery etc.

it can also happen with a low battery, the alternator is supposed to be ale to run the car when the engine's running but i've seen it where a very low battery charge state makes it flicker, but it ought to go away as the alternator charges the battery up.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Apologies for the thread necro.

Battery light popped on for me last night on my way home. My initial thought is that it is battery/wiring harness shifting. Seems that the oem battery is sliding aft in the mount. Battery light flickers (not blinks) at low speeds/stop, then solid at higher speeds.

Measured 11.7 V on the radar detector plugged into the cabin 12v connection, battery reads 12.33 V across the terminals, and 11.8 V across the terminals at idle.

Sounds like I should be looking for a connection/supply problem, yeah?

I go trace the wires/check fuses now. My assumption is that it won't be something obvious to me & will have to make a visit to the shop, but any tips on items to check would be awesome.

Edit: N/A car...realize this was an S/C thread but seemed more recent/appropriate than the other thread on the topic. http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f133/help-crazy-flashing-battery-light-crack-58966/

Symptoms seems similar to that, though & I'm referencing those troubleshooting tips.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Well, my technical know-how & tools at hand are exhausted. :( Off to the mechanic next week. Ultimate sadness because I'm missing what was to be my first autox in her today. Ah well.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
If you are getting only 11.8V across the battery posts (terminals) at idle you have an alternator problem. At idle the voltage should be a minimum of 13.8V.
The flickering, then going steady confirms this.
Michael
Apologies for the thread necro.

Battery light popped on for me last night on my way home. My initial thought is that it is battery/wiring harness shifting. Seems that the oem battery is sliding aft in the mount. Battery light flickers (not blinks) at low speeds/stop, then solid at higher speeds.

Measured 11.7 V on the radar detector plugged into the cabin 12v connection, battery reads 12.33 V across the terminals, and 11.8 V across the terminals at idle.

Sounds like I should be looking for a connection/supply problem, yeah?

I go trace the wires/check fuses now. My assumption is that it won't be something obvious to me & will have to make a visit to the shop, but any tips on items to check would be awesome.

Edit: N/A car...realize this was an S/C thread but seemed more recent/appropriate than the other thread on the topic. http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f133/help-crazy-flashing-battery-light-crack-58966/

Symptoms seems similar to that, though & I'm referencing those troubleshooting tips.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts