The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been browsing on Amazon, and they have 1, 1.5, 2 amp versions.
I'm confused. Which one is good for the Lotus?
Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Been browsing on Amazon, and they have 1, 1.5, 2 amp versions.

I'm confused. Which one is good for the Lotus?

Thanks!!

Any of them will suffice. Since the battery minder will mostly be in maintenance mode the higher current models don’t give you much benefit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
With the parasitic drain and the relatively large size of the battery, I'd go with one in 2+ amp size. This will get it up to float voltage quickly if the battery is a little discharged. The 1 amp model is really meant for ATV and motorcycle batteries.

·
Super Moderator Ultimate The Enforcer
6,614 Posts
I'm not going to side with either answer here as they're both right.

I have three Battery Tenders (brand name). I have two 1.25 amp 'Plus' models and a 750 mA 'Junior' model. The Plus works well with normal and AGM batteries, but can also charge other specialty batteries. The Junior I use for my motorcycles, but they never need it. They All have float mode and no charge mode where they just monitor the battery and trickle charge (float) when needed.

I have a Shorai battery charger which is 2 amp (max). It specializes in charging Shorai batteries, but charges and conditions the individual cells and also can maintain the battery in Storage mode.

Lastly I have an old-school 'charger'. It doesn't have a float mode, and you have to take the battery off the charger when it reaches a certain level. It can charge at 2 amp (slow charge) or 6 amp (normal charge).

You have to decide if you need a charger that will charge a battery quickly. If you do, you will benefit from a higher amperage charger. I doubt you need more than a 1.X amp charger, and 2 amp at the most. Just make sure you get a charger that supports normal batteries and AGM batteries (Battery Tender Plus), has a float mode (trickle charger) and is smart enough to turn the charging off completly when near the maximum capacity and go into a monitor mode. In monitor mode it will go back into float\ trickle charge mode when the battery needs to be topped off.

I use my 1.25 amp Battery Tender Plus on my GT-R occasionally. I don't drive it very frequently, so I'll put it on the charger and top off the capacity overnight. I could use the 750 mA charger on it as well, it would just take longer for it to completely charge.

If this doesn't make sense PM me and we can discuss it.

San

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all, I ordered this one:

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Q3CM2QY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

My plan is to attach the ring clips to the battery terminals, and run that wire out of the car, exiting somewhere by the license plate. I'll plug it in whenever the car sits for more than a couple days. The old battery died because of my newly installed dash cam. None of my other cars have this problem. Now I know it's because the Elise's cigarette lighter is always on, even when the engine is off. The other cars' cigarette lighters don't behave this way.

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
Incidentally, I actually used a 6 amp RC multi-mode battery charger to charge the AGM battery in my Elise over the winter. It has an AGM/gel cell mode, which was what I used for this purpose.

·
Premium Member
11,321 Posts
Thanks all, I ordered this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Q3CM2QY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My plan is to attach the ring clips to the battery terminals, and run that wire out of the car, exiting somewhere by the license plate. I'll plug it in whenever the car sits for more than a couple days. The old battery died because of my newly installed dash cam. None of my other cars have this problem. Now I know it's because the Elise's cigarette lighter is always on, even when the engine is off. The other cars' cigarette lighters don't behave this way.
I like battery tenders a lot.

But, you have the option of drawing power from fuse box under dash, from a wire that is not hot when engine is off. Might be a cleaner installation too.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like battery tenders a lot.

But, you have the option of drawing power from fuse box under dash, from a wire that is not hot when engine is off. Might be a cleaner installation too.
The dash cam is powered by USB. How does this work when getting power from the fuse box?
Thanks,

·
Premium Member
2,103 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can use a kit like this (nothing permanent) and you do not have to cut any wires....

good version: https://www.thedashcamstore.com/universal-dash-cam-quick-installation-kit/

or a cheaper version from amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Hardwire-Standard-Adapter-Compatible-Detector/dp/B07H85QRKD

This is great! Thanks a lot.
I'm gonna return the Batter Minder Plus.

The kit from the dashcamstore is more of what I need: power to camera only when car is switched on.
The cheaper kit from Amazon is for always-on power, which is what I don't want. The power does get cut off if voltage from battery is detected to fall below 11.6 volts. But I don't want my battery run down to that level.

·
Premium Member
2,103 Posts
The cheaper kit from Amazon is for always-on power, which is what I don't want. The power does get cut off if voltage from battery is detected to fall below 11.6 volts. But I don't want my battery run down to that level.
If you were to tap into a switched fuse for power (versus a constant hot), the amazon one would not be always on. It would turn off with the vehicle.

But, I would use the dashcam store one anyway.

·
Super Moderator Ultimate The Enforcer
6,614 Posts
This is great! Thanks a lot.
I'm gonna return the Batter Minder Plus.

The kit from the dashcamstore is more of what I need: power to camera only when car is switched on.
You're mixing up two different things. Regardless of if you direct the power for your dash cam to an appropriate power source, you'll still have parasitic losses from other things, like the alarm. If you're not daily driving your Lotus, if should be on a battery tender. Your choice, but a decent battery tender is $30 or less.

San

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
First, thanks for the links as I didn't really know which one to get as there are many options. I ended up purchasing the Batteryminder 2amp one. I extended the wires for the ring clips for a more permanent setup and ran it out thru the grommet in the trunk and out to the license plate area. Now I can easily plug and unplug with ease. I love the desulfating feature and this will prolong the life of the battery as it gives me more incentive to actually plug it in now. Takes me no more than 30s to setup vs unlocking trunk, unscrewing battery cover, and attaching clips. Vice versa. Just got too lazy for all that before if I decided to suddenly take the car out. Anyways, just wanted to give thanks.

Gabe

1 - 13 of 13 Posts