The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several times over the past year, my battery has died. This is usually due to not driving the car for a long period, such as a week.

I'd like to use a device which alerts me when the battery is low but not dead. Some of these devices disconnect the battery from the car. Wouldn't that set off the alarm? Is there anyway to do this without setting off the alarm?
Battery
Battery Brain SMGY BATTERY BRAIN POWER MONITORS : JC Whitney: Auto Parts & Accessories
Braille Battery USA - Premium Power Protector
Battery Brain Bronze Manual Battery Brain(tm) Power Monitor : CarParts, Tools and Equipment
Battery Brain + Our Products

If I expect that I won't use the car for a while, is there any way to avoid parasitic drain?

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Many here use a Battery Minder, Battery Tender or Battery Tender Jr. with great success, myself included. Why not just stick one of them on and forget about it? Let their technology monitor your battery for you and keep it charged and perhaps (with Battery Minder) desulfated.

EDIT: I have a battery condition meter that came with my Battery Minder. It is hooked up to the battery but I still never look at it due to the Minder getting plugged in.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
If the alarm is set, disconnecting the battery will switch the system over to it's back-up battery and sound the alarm. If you don't arm the alarm there would be no problem.
There is parasitic drain from the alarm, radio and ECU.
Installation of a voltmeter would enable you to monitor the battery and charging system.
Cheers,
Michael
Several times over the past year, my battery has died. This is usually due to not driving the car for a long period, such as a week.
I'd like to use a device which alerts me when the battery is low but not dead. Some of these devices disconnect the battery from the car. Wouldn't that set off the alarm? Is there anyway to do this without setting off the alarm?
Battery
Battery Brain SMGY BATTERY BRAIN POWER MONITORS : JC Whitney: Auto Parts & Accessories
Braille Battery USA - Premium Power Protector
Battery Brain Bronze Manual Battery Brain(tm) Power Monitor : CarParts, Tools and Equipment
Battery Brain + Our Products

If I expect that I won't use the car for a while, is there any way to avoid parasitic drain?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many here use a Battery Minder, Battery Tender or Battery Tender Jr. with great success, myself included. Why not just stick one of them on and forget about it? Let their technology monitor your battery for you and keep it charged and perhaps (with Battery Minder) desulfated.

EDIT: I have a battery condition meter that came with my Battery Minder. It is hooked up to the battery but I still never look at it due to the Minder getting plugged in.
I forgot to mention: there is no way to get the car near an AC source. :(

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
How about getting a second deep-discharge battery that you can piggyback on the car battery. This should greatly slow the discharge rate of the car battery. Then when you go driving, take the secondary battery home and charge it back up. Just an idea.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Spudboy said:
Posts: 1,310 How about getting a second deep-discharge battery that you can piggyback on the car battery. This should greatly slow the discharge rate of the car battery. Then when you go driving, take the secondary battery home and charge it back up. Just an idea.
Not a bad idea and I even have a second battery. Would I just hook them up in parallel? With my luck, I'd wind up with two dead batteries.

How about the sun?

BatteryMINDer 12 Volt 15 Watt Solar Battery Charger: BatteryMart.com

It even comes with the same battery condition meter that I never look at :).
Got it. I had it hooked up but the battery still went dead. :( Maybe I need to find a sunny treeless street. Anyway, its worth examining how to move the meter from the solar electronics to the battery.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts