·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
97537F30-56D9-4F83-BAC3-EE046E522D44.jpeg
55350A07-81CC-4DB5-B4C7-CB98FC72E67D.jpeg
2A4D3C46-6CD1-4A6D-B814-D33D4B4D39AA.jpeg
I mounted my battery to the frame where the A.C. Lines used to mount.There are 3 threaded inserts in the frame you can use.Maybe bend up a sheet metal pan and a bracket to hold it down.Makes clam removal easier and eliminates 2 1/2# of wire.This gets the battery weight down pretty low as well.Here’s some pics.

Reactions: StressCraxx

·
Administrator
3,146 Posts
Super clean battery and installation!

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What kind of battery is that and how much does it weigh?
It is a voltphreaks LI battery.It weighs 5 1/2#
The Odyssey pc 625 is about the same size and weighs 13 1/4#

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
It is a voltphreaks LI battery.It weighs 5 1/2#
The Odyssey pc 625 is about the same size and weighs 13 1/4#
Nicely done. I have a Shorai that weighs about the same as yours. Do you have to remove the clam to change yours?

·
Registered
7,240 Posts
Very impressive.

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nicely done. I have a Shorai that weighs about the same as yours. Do you have to remove the clam to change yours?
No I don’t have to remove clam.The picture is with the clam on.

·
Registered
357 Posts
More about the cover/bracket you used please. The green button looking thing?
Have you a battery disconnect, or charger?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
More about the cover/bracket you used please. The green button looking thing?
Have you a battery disconnect, or charger?

Cheers
The bracket and cover is something I made because it’s winter and I’m bored.Sheet metal would be just as good.It could be 3D printed as well. The center of the bracket is directly over the frame so there are no cantilevered loads.This is why a printed bracket would be plenty strong.
The green light is a button to turn battery on and off.LI batteries need a battery management system (bms) This one shuts the battery off if the charge gets low to protect itself.Then you just push the button to turn it on and it still has enough charge to start your car.This how most batteries will be in the near future. I have some larger ones that run my house. I will include a pic of the car frame where the battery mounts and the batteries that run my house.
18E4DAFE-86A7-4F49-AED5-472201E3C07E.jpeg
C38B353E-961C-43CA-9466-93DD793012D0.jpeg

Reactions: bucket and rb26dett

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
499 Posts
$15,000 worth of batteries. Damn.

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Has me curious of the date of install vs doing a few powerwall 2 @ 12kWh/ea & $12,000 in the last few years.
$15,000 is a retail price nobody actually pays,however $11,400(I paid)is a lot of money.
I just did this a couple of weeks ago and it was a difficult decision.The power wall system is more cost effective but it uses cobalt and I think is for grid tied systems. It has been reliable but I don’t trust LI Cobalt in my house (fire).Discover is Li iron battery,totally safe and lasts longer. I am completely off grid with a 4.5kw system and have a little bit of prepper in me.No I am not going to dig an underground bunker LOL

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
I've loved moving my battery to the firewall; when the trunk is as small as ours, removing the battery frees up so much room, especially for longer objects. Plus, pulling the power wires through the trunk grommet always took far more time than it had to, so removing the clam now is easy. This spring I need to remake my bracket, but mine is just bent sheet. That one is perty!

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've loved moving my battery to the firewall; when the trunk is as small as ours, removing the battery frees up so much room, especially for longer objects. Plus, pulling the power wires through the trunk grommet always took far more time than it had to, so removing the clam now is easy. This spring I need to remake my bracket, but mine is just bent sheet. That one is perty!
Maybe you can have someone on this site print one for you.

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
Maybe you can have someone on this site print one for you.
I wouldn't trust 3D printing for a heavy AGM battery in a hot environment. My bracket is perfectly appropriate for my particular car, haha.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts