The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Stilling doing God's work
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I placed my car on a tender for two weeks while I was away on vacation. Came back to take the car out and to my surprise, the battery was dead. The battery tender was connected, but blinking. I tried to charge the battery, when after I connected it to the battery charger, the LED display on the charger said "no battery". The car just came back from service before I left and passed all tests.

What do I do?

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
Is this a new battery? Or the same one that had died and occasioned an earlier thread? And what happened with your boot not latching securely? Did you replace the lights with LED's as planned?

At this point, you need a new battery. If this dead one is new, it may be covered under warranty. There are threads on battery choices, how to vent a new battery properly (as the existing vent tube is likely too short), and how to fix the cargo net hooks so removing them isn't so problematic.

You also need to sort out the cause of the battery problems. Did you have the alternator evaluated and/or replaced earlier? Doors/boot not latching? Dash lights always on? Other parasitic drain? POS Varta at end of normal life?

·
Registered
394 Posts
I had similar issues...

My car is an April 2013 build but I bought it new in June. Battery would not hold any charge longer than 2-3 days.

Autosport (Long Island) tried to bring back the original Varta battery to life, but it still failed, so now they have replaced it with a new Carquest one.

From reading all the posts hear I believe the OEM Varta batteries suck:(

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
As stated elsewhere, if the lights inside the trunk stay on when you hook up to the 12V accessory plug in the trunk and close the hatch the typical battery tender cannot overcome the drain so the battery will drain over time. Converting to LED lights will help, but the best solution is to be sure they are out.

·
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was at the Long Island shop a few weeks ago. Also, the battery died before it left and it arrived at the Long Island dealer. They jumped it and they said it was fine. The car was there for a few days, so it had plenty of tests. This is the second battery. The first battery was replaced last year. The lights were off, as I used a trick the guy told me on how to shut the lights off when the boot is open. Have not installed the LEDs yet. Boot locks fine now. Just needed a little WD-40.

Rather not have to buy a new battery, not spend the bucks to flatbed the car back to Long Island. It's like 200.00 each way. Not cheap.

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
So this is the second time this new battery has died? And it's died after a jump a few weeks ago? And you can't recharge it now? It will need to be replaced. Take it back to where you bought it and ask them why it keeps failing and can't be recharged now. Warranty?

Next question is why this is happening. Hadn't you mentioned a potential issue with the alternator before and was that checked out? How are you ensuring that the boot lights are off? Do you have any dash lights that stay on (doors ajar light, etc)?

·
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you turn the lock the lights shut off. This was what I was told to do by the service center so that I could use the battery tender. Alternator was tested and was fine. The only thing I could think that could be the issue that the top prong in the battery tender's cord seemed to had broken off. When I unplugged it from the extension cord, the prong was stuck in the extension cord instead in the battery tender's power cord. Perhaps it wasn't charging the battery correctly?

Anyway to test the battery?

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
So I placed my car on a tender for two weeks while I was away on vacation. Came back to take the car out and to my surprise, the battery was dead. The battery tender was connected, but blinking. I tried to charge the battery, when after I connected it to the battery charger, the LED display on the charger said "no battery". The car just came back from service before I left and passed all tests.

What do I do?
Tender blinking means either it wasn't really charging (red blinking) or has reached a certain level (green blinking) depending on the charger.

San

·
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It was originally solid red before I left.

Nonetheless, I played around with the battery and pulled it out of the boot. I was able to get a better connection when removing the red connector on the battery. After about 20 mins of charging, I was able to get a 25.4 charge and was able to start the car. It's been running for about 15 mins or so. However, during the charge, the charger stated shorted cell or something. I just continued to charge. The battery is an interstate battery if that helps.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Your battery is probably damaged unless it is a deep cycle battery.

Best you buy a new one along with a six dollar battery cutoff installed. Use that when you leave your car for long periods.

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
It was originally solid red before I left.

Nonetheless, I played around with the battery and pulled it out of the boot. I was able to get a better connection when removing the red connector on the battery. After about 20 mins of charging, I was able to get a 25.4 charge and was able to start the car. It's been running for about 15 mins or so. However, during the charge, the charger stated shorted cell or something. I just continued to charge. The battery is an interstate battery if that helps.
25.4? What exactly does that refer to? Just idling isn't going to recharge your battery. You need to get a real charge on the battery.

It would help if you offered details as to the charger, battery (make and model) what you're measuring with and the value in volts, etc.

San

·
Premium Member
8,150 Posts
Just let boot close fully. No harm to wires. Do it all the time.

Sounds like a bad cell. Production date on battery. (Did they sell you old stock??) etc. This is beyond a Lotus thing.

·
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Battery came from Manhattan Motors last year. Do I call Interstate Batteries for a warranty issue claim? Not sure of the production date on the battery, I have to take it out again to look and see.

Car was given gas for 15 mins, not just idling.

·
Registered
61 Posts
What size battery do the Evoras take, and can you get them at auto stores?
Oh, by the way, I flew to Dallas day before yesterday. Examined the 2011 Persian Blue with Oyster and 2,200 miles.Took it for a spin up through all 6 gears and back down twice. Never missed a gear. Everything is very tight (in a good way). Bought it and flew home.
Now I'm waiting for the shipper to call. Very exited. Only had 1 key, so thanks for the info on that. Where do you get the blank cut??
Bryan

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
What size battery do the Evoras take, and can you get them at auto stores?
Oh, by the way, I flew to Dallas day before yesterday. Examined the 2011 Persian Blue with Oyster and 2,200 miles.Took it for a spin up through all 6 gears and back down twice. Never missed a gear. Everything is very tight (in a good way). Bought it and flew home.
Now I'm waiting for the shipper to call. Very exited. Only had 1 key, so thanks for the info on that. Where do you get the blank cut??
Bryan
Sizes, and yes. Many of us bought the Interstate MTP-91.
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f170/aaarrrgggghhhhh-dead-battery-154849/

Is your '11 Persian Blue/Oyster an S model? ;)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Is your '11 Persian Blue/Oyster an S model?

No it's just an NA, but I'm sure I'll love it. It's such a hot blue. I wanted something that you can't miss i.e. no excuse for running into it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts