The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, the original battery on my Lotus is on the blink so I need a new battery. The service writer at the local lotus dealer said she'd call me back with a price, but off the top of her head, she expected it was about $360.

I think thats crap. So I called the dealer in Virginia (euroclassics), and talked to the Cory in parts who has always been very helpful to me and he said the battery was 96 bucks. He couldn't ship it but he said if I find anybody who carries Interstate batteries, I should ask for "26R50".

Except the Interstate website doesn't carry any battery by that name.

So, presuming i don't want a braille and would like an OE or OE substitute, what are my options.

Maybe the Braille with the quick disconnect switch is the way to go. I don't drive the car very often and if the braille can hold its charge for many weeks at a time if disconnected (and not connected to a trickle charger), that might be worth it.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
You should just get the Volkphreaks... It's only money and their customer service is excellent!

·
Registered
1,966 Posts

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Also, depending on the date of the battery, Interstate may replace it (or at least give you a credit). I've had a number of the batteries replaced either for free (go to one of their Platinum Dealers if you can, look them up on the web site) or for a reduced cost.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Hell, even Charlie over at Lotus of Austin (when he was running the service department) just called Interstate on the phone and got them to replace one of my batteries.

(I went through a few batteries because one of the service guys at a Lotus dealership managed to connect the battery ground to the transmission... with a rubber gasket between them. Took a LONG time to figure out what was going wrong.)

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Check this out http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f129/battery-choices-information-64071/
I strongly recommend replacing with an AGM battery that cannot leak. Being in the trunk, a leak can cause very serious problems.

Hey guys, the original battery on my Lotus is on the blink so I need a new battery. The service writer at the local lotus dealer said she'd call me back with a price, but off the top of her head, she expected it was about $360.
I think thats crap. So I called the dealer in Virginia (euroclassics), and talked to the Cory in parts who has always been very helpful to me and he said the battery was 96 bucks. He couldn't ship it but he said if I find anybody who carries Interstate batteries, I should ask for "26R50".
Except the Interstate website doesn't carry any battery by that name.
So, presuming i don't want a braille and would like an OE or OE substitute, what are my options.
Maybe the Braille with the quick disconnect switch is the way to go. I don't drive the car very often and if the braille can hold its charge for many weeks at a time if disconnected (and not connected to a trickle charger), that might be worth it.

That's because Odyssey is a semi-deep cycle battery, but I would run it though a few "conditioning" (de-sulfation) cycles.
Cheers,
Michael
but still holds a good charge.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
That's because Odyssey is a semi-deep cycle battery, but I would run it though a few "conditioning" (de-sulfation) cycles.
Cheers,
Michael
How do you do that?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't have the option of a battery minder. THe garage I park in has no electrical outlets I can use. So I need a battery that I can either easily disconnect, or one that will hold charge for a few weeks at a time.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
I am in the same situation therefore I chose a battery with a high AH (amp hour) rating. Remember, disconnecting the battery means no alarm.
Michael
I don't have the option of a battery minder. THe garage I park in has no electrical outlets I can use. So I need a battery that I can either easily disconnect, or one that will hold charge for a few weeks at a time.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So looking at your chart, maybe I need an Optima Red Top group 35. Will I need a bracket or will it drop straight in?

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
That's what I have, and it is the only one that will fit without modification, although the cover is a bit tighter. BTW the 35 and the 75/25 are virtually identical, with the 75/35 having additional GM side connectors.
Michael
So looking at your chart, maybe I need an Optima Red Top group 35. Will I need a bracket or will it drop straight in?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you!

I've never mail ordered a battery. Do optima red tops ship charged up? I don't have a battery charger. If they need charging prior to installation, I'll need to find a local retailer.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Thank you!

I've never mail ordered a battery. Do optima red tops ship charged up? I don't have a battery charger. If they need charging prior to installation, I'll need to find a local retailer.
I don't know where you are located, but around here, Costco carries the Optima 75/35 for around $115 IIRC.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
That's what I have, and it is the only one that will fit without modification, although the cover is a bit tighter. BTW the 35 and the 75/25 are virtually identical, with the 75/35 having additional GM side connectors.
Michael
Michael, the 75/25 and the 75/35 both have the side connectors (the 75 part of the nomenclature). The difference between the 25 and 35 (or the 75/25 & 75/35) are the relative positioning of the + & - posts...left/right versus right/left. I haven't checked it out, but it looks like the cables in the Elise would work with either orientation.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Chris, that reference of mine to a 75/35 was a typo, I meant 75/25. Although the reference to a 75/35 is found in many places it does not exist in the Optima range. The 35 has top posts only, and the 75/25 has additional GM side threaded bolt connections, I have one. The polarity of the posts (connections) are reversed between the 35 and the 75/25 however both work on the Elise due to the slack in the cables.
Cheers,
Michael

Michael, the 75/25 and the 75/35 both have the side connectors (the 75 part of the nomenclature). The difference between the 25 and 35 (or the 75/25 & 75/35) are the relative positioning of the + & - posts...left/right versus right/left. I haven't checked it out, but it looks like the cables in the Elise would work with either orientation.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, the lotus dealer called and said he wanted $330 for the new battery.

I said no thanks and went to costco and picked up a 75/35 for $135 including core charge and sales tax.

I'll put it in when I get the car back on Friday, but I gotta admit it looks huge and I am skeptical that it will fit in the OE space, though I will find out in a couple of days.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
I have one and it fits, although the cover is tighter. One recommendation is to install industrial velcro underneath.
Michael
Well, the lotus dealer called and said he wanted $330 for the new battery.

I said no thanks and went to costco and picked up a 75/35 for $135 including core charge and sales tax.

I'll put it in when I get the car back on Friday, but I gotta admit it looks huge and I am skeptical that it will fit in the OE space, though I will find out in a couple of days.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts