The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.

I just purchased a 2017 400 from a dealer up north. It was one that has just been sitting in their inventory since new. Car only has 180 miles on it. It was just taken to car shows and for eye candy mainly. I had a PPI done and pretty much came back clean minus an update necessary for the ECU, the clutch sensor and a TPS, which they fixed prior to me buying.

My question is do you think the battery is still acceptable for use and has life? The dealer said they had to load it on a charger as the second it was dropping below 12v it starts throwing a check engine light. I assumed it has been on one the whole time, but just wondering if it is something I should replace or get them to replace before the shipping guy shows up to transport this weekend... or is there life still in it being what I assume is a couple years old at this point.

Thx for any input!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've read that the stock batteries are **** across the board, so its probably worth getting a new one. The dealer selling my Evora had just replaced it with a interstate before I bought it..

·
Premium Member
1,476 Posts
If they're willing to replace it, I'd have them replace it. Sucks when they come to deliver your car and can't start it. Even worse would be if they decide to jump it, and fry the ECU.

·
Vendor
3,278 Posts
If they're willing to replace it, I'd have them replace it. Sucks when they come to deliver your car and can't start it. Even worse would be if they decide to jump it, and fry the ECU.
If they replace it, I would personally pay the difference to get an Odyssey AGM. I've tried about every battery type and brand and the Odyssey just lasts forever and can handle alot of deep discharge without dying.

·
Loves to talk
1,071 Posts
We've discussed this before as you're not the first guy to experience this. I don't suppose that makes you feel any better but I have my theory.

The battery in your car is, as you surmise, likely between two and three years old, and for most of that time except for brief running intervals the car has "just sat." Had it been maintained on a tender, the battery would have retained the bulk of its useful life but just sitting round and getting started once in a while is probably the worst condition for the it. Consequently it's likely to be as weak as any two or three year old battery can be.

My car isn't really happy off a tender for more than four or five days. I think the combination of an anecdotally (but I can believe it) mediocre OEM battery, sitting around at a dealership for some months and what the car draws while resting is a defensible scenario to settle on.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thx for the input everyone. Basically was told they aren’t replacing the battery as they say it’s fine when it’s on the charger. Hard to argue w them 1600 miles away! Supposed to be delivered tomorrow after 6 days on the truck. So we’ll see if it starts and gets off the truck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts