The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I need to replace the OEM battery in my 2005 Elise, what is the best choice I'm likely to find locally? I'm 2 hours away from a Lotus dealer.

I found that chart somebody posted recommending the delco 26r6yr but other posts say it is leak prone.

I don't want a race battery or extra light battery, just a good quality, long lasting bolt-in direct replacement

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot Tesprit. I noticed the dimensions of that battery are slightly different than the factory battery. Do you (or anyone) know if it will fit in the car without having to modify the bracket or otherwise having to change anything?

·
Super Moderator
2,845 Posts
Thanks a lot Tesprit. I noticed the dimensions of that battery are slightly different than the factory battery. Do you (or anyone) know if it will fit in the car without having to modify the bracket or otherwise having to change anything?
The Optima bolts in and fits with no problem using the OEM hold down brackets. The OEM battery cover will fit over the Optima, but the battery is just slightly too long for it. Either force the cover (it has enough flexibility) over the battery and call it done or what I did was to heat the side of the cover opposite of the tool kit holder with a heat gun until the plastic just started to soften and then I quickly pushed the cover over the battery. The heated side of the cover bulged out a little and form fitted to the battery on that side. Once installed, you can not tell the cover has been stretched and it looks and fits OEM.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts