The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
since i am not the sharpest knife in the drawer....

I assume when i go to swap my battery, my stereo will be locked? and since i haven't unpacked things like all my cars paperwork (stuffed in a folder, in box, somewhere....)

can i "hot swap" the cables using a low amp charger or something? ...dur....

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
At radio shack and the like there is a little dealy that you can plug into your power outlet (btwn the seats) with the other end plugged into a 9v battery. It is used for battery changes and keeping alarm settings etc. About $5 IIRC.

Edit: I'm looking for a reference now...

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
since i am not the sharpest knife in the drawer....

I assume when i go to swap my battery, my stereo will be locked? and since i haven't unpacked things like all my cars paperwork (stuffed in a folder, in box, somewhere....)

I've had my battery disconnected many times now and it had no effect on the radio. Is the radio supposed to lock up when disconnected?

BTW: When you disconnect the battery cables, make sure you have the alarm and immobilizer off or the alarm will think you are trying to steal the car.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I don't know if you need to, but yes, you can "hot swap" it. I've done is several times on other cars to preserve radio settings, etc.

Just connect up your Battery Tender/Battery MINDer to the battery cables (or the cigar lighter socket), disconnect the battery. Install the new battery and tighten the clamps. It works just fine, just make sure that you don't hit the wrench on the positive battery post to ground - oh wait a minute, that's not a problem with the Elise. ;)

Just make sure you don't hit the wrench such that you short out the two battery posts/cables.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Hmm. I'm not sure the Battery Tender Plus will help like this without a battery in the circuit. There's circuitry that's supposed to figure out if there's a wiring/hookup fault, so...

ed

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Hmm. I'm not sure the Battery Tender Plus will help like this without a battery in the circuit. There's circuitry that's supposed to figure out if there's a wiring/hookup fault, so...

ed
I agree. Again, try the memory saver dealy.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
got it guys, thanks!!

i will get or bugger up a little cigarette 9v battery thingy this weekend.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
I'm so dull they call me a spoon

So my battery is completely dead and I'm about to change it tomorrow. Will this thing from Radio Shack still work or is it too late?

·
Registered
46 Posts
So my battery is completely dead and I'm about to change it tomorrow. Will this thing from Radio Shack still work or is it too late?
If you haven't disconnected your battery yet, I would think it would work. There should still be a small charge on the dead battery that's keeping things in order. I don't know from experience, but I would be surprised if your battery were that dead.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts