The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Deltran Battery Tender Plus hooked up to my 2008 Elise, with an Optima battery. The Battery Tender will not switch to Green (ie float/maintain) with the battery connected to the car. It stays Red for 72 hours and then switches to alternating red/green flashing, which means the safety timer has triggered. If I disconnect the battery from the car, the tender will switch to Green within a couple hours. No lights or accessories are left on, and the alarm is shut off except obviously the immobilizer which stays on. I've also tried connecting multiple different ways to the battery to ensure I was getting a good charge connection. I spoke with Deltran and they think the car has a parasitic draw close to the 1.25A rating of the tender. However, that would seem like a really high draw to me with nothing else turned on in the car. Anyone else experience this?

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Use your fob, disarm the alarm, pull the fuse for alarm, pull the fuse for the radio, then your float charger should work. However, all those steps sound like a hassle, unless your car is going to rest the entire winter.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I use a battery tender on my car. My battery has died when I let the car sit for a few days in the garage. But when I use the tender, the green light always comes on within less than a day.

Do you have any aftermarket stereo amplifiers that might be on all the time?

·
Registered
385 Posts
That's too much draw.

I have the basic 1.3A Battery Minder. As long as there is enough juice remaining to start the car, it will pull the battery up to the correct voltage and enter its 'maintainer' mode in less than 12 hours. I still have the original POS Interstate battery. It will still start the car after 2 weeks of sitting with the alarm on.

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
The correct parasitic draw is 20.5ma with alarm off & 42.5ma alarm on, this includes the radio and ECU.
Michael

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have an Evora and I use the Deltron Battery Tender Plus. I plug it in to a power socket in the boot.

If I leave the hatch too much ajar, the lamp and the parasitic load from the car's electronics is enough to cause the same problem you are having. I must be careful to push the hatch closed to assure the lamp goes out.

Is it possible that a lamp is on somewhere in your car?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally had some time to continue troubleshooting this. The interior light is not on, and I made sure it's on the "turn on when door is open" setting. Doors and engine lid are completely closed. I pulled the immobilizer fuse and also the interior accessory fuse, and that didn't do the trick either. I am thinking I will need to just start removing fuses one by one until I either find the culprit or still have the issue with ALL fuses out. Am open to other suggestions as well.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Finally had some time to continue troubleshooting this. The interior light is not on, and I made sure it's on the "turn on when door is open" setting. Doors and engine lid are completely closed. I pulled the immobilizer fuse and also the interior accessory fuse, and that didn't do the trick either. I am thinking I will need to just start removing fuses one by one until I either find the culprit or still have the issue with ALL fuses out. Am open to other suggestions as well.
Your battery might be past its prime or otherwise defective.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts