The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Exige
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i read the manual my Battery Tender Junior 12V came with and I was a little confused on which side I should connect first. It was talking about positive ground, negative ground and I don't know which one to follow.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I always connect positive first.
+1.

FWIW, mine came with a permanently installed wire harness that connects the two wires from the battery to a snap plug connection. I only have to plug it in. Very quick hookup.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
+1 First red to battery positive, second, black to a chassis ground ( if it is an AGM battery you can connect it directly to the battery as there are no flammable gases) BTW this unit has reverse polarity protection.
Michael

·
Registered
443 Posts
The best battery charger now on the market is the Tecmate-Optimate 4. Sealed, lots of indicators and features. A really intelligent charger. I am getting rid of my Battery Tender.

·
Registered
2006 Exige
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
+1 First red to battery positive, second, black to a chassis ground ( if it is an AGM battery you can connect it directly to the battery as there are no flammable gases) BTW this unit has reverse polarity protection.
Michael
i think i have the pc625, so can i connect directly to the positive and then the negative posts and plug the battery tender in?

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
Pretty sure it's + ....but I'm not......positive :huh:

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
If its battery tender the actual brand...it doesn't matter + or - as it has a smart feature to take care of it for you. Just hook it up...

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Actually, it really does matter, otherwise it won't work. It simply has reverse polarity protection so that if it is connected incorrectly, in reverse, it won't damage the battery or the charger ;).
Michael
If its battery tender the actual brand...it doesn't matter + or - as it has a smart feature to take care of it for you. Just hook it up...

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
..right into the Cigarette lighter for me :D
(just in case you hadn't considered that option, it's quite handy)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Actually, it really does matter, otherwise it won't work. It simply has reverse polarity protection so that if it is connected incorrectly, in reverse, it won't damage the battery or the charger ;).
Michael
Yes, I said that wrong. You need positive to positive and negative to negative but you do not need to put the positive on first. If you have a battery tender junior or plus.

SPECIAL FEATURES: The Battery Tender ® Junior and Plus
Chargers have the following special features:
SPARKPROOF: The battery charger DC output leads, either ring
terminals or alligator clips must be connected to a battery before an output
voltage is developed by the battery charger.
SHORT CIRCUIT PROTECTION: The battery charger can sustain a
short circuit connection directly across its DC output terminals indefinitely
without any risk of either electric shock or excessive heat.
REVERSE POLARITY PROTECTION: The battery charger is
protected internally against any damage due to the DC output leads being
connected to the opposite polarity battery post. No damage will result to either the battery or the battery charger.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I always connect positive first.
+1
When you hook up the ground last, there is less chance of arcing. In fact, don't connect that ground clamp to the battery, but to something else on the car that is a metal ground. I have personally seen a car battery explode as the arc was created just above the battery. An invisible hydrogen cloud was there, created from the battery chemistry. The top of the battery lifted, exposing the sulfuric acid. If connecting to a free standing battery, hook up both clamps before plugging in the charger.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Actually, this is only true with flooded cell batteries, with AGM's, no gas is expelled, therefore there is no risk of an explosion.
Michael
+1
When you hook up the ground last, there is less chance of arcing. In fact, don't connect that ground clamp to the battery, but to something else on the car that is a metal ground. I have personally seen a car battery explode as the arc was created just above the battery. An invisible hydrogen cloud was there, created from the battery chemistry. The top of the battery lifted, exposing the sulfuric acid. If connecting to a free standing battery, hook up both clamps before plugging in the charger.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts